Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

At first glance, I don't like that the Dems are leaving the state and running from their duty. The GOP did this a few years ago and laughed and bragged about how they got one over on the Dems and I didn't like it at all. However, I've also said that the Dems need to fight fire with fire, if it works, go on with it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Llevron said:

Desantis is already saying he wont run if Trump will. Good political calculus. 

I hadn't heard DeSantis say anything about a presidential run yet. I assume he's allowed to run for reelection for governor next year, which is what he should be publicly focused on right now. 

The only one I've heard say wouldn't run if DJT does is Nikki Haley. What a coward.

17 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I hadn't heard DeSantis say anything about a presidential run yet. I assume he's allowed to run for reelection for governor next year, which is what he should be publicly focused on right now. 

The only one I've heard say wouldn't run if DJT does is Nikki Haley. What a coward.

Im pretty sure it was one of those “Sources say….” deals which always turns out to be true with Republicans these days but honestly I just remember that he’s not running against Trump. 

like some said, won’t stop him from being a target if he pisses him off tho

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simmsy said:

At first glance, I don't like that the Dems are leaving the state and running from their duty. The GOP did this a few years ago and laughed and bragged about how they got one over on the Dems and I didn't like it at all. However, I've also said that the Dems need to fight fire with fire, if it works, go on with it.

Thats the whole thing.  Dems tried playing to the intent of the rules.  Rep have decided they will be ruthless.  Send have to be the same or will be seen as total failures.  

thry need to stop listing around and get some more stuff done like infrastructure and health care.  Get what you can.  Need to show people progress.  Can’t win on promises.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tshile said:

I don’t approve of the tactic in a functioning government. 

I don’t consider the current state one of function

I consider it a filibuster.  

My approval of it depends on whether I think the legislation in question warrants shutting down the legislature  

(In this case, I think it does.)  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Llevron said:

Desantis is already saying he wont run if Trump will. Good political calculus. 

If Trump says he's going to run; even if he's in prison, noone will run against him other than the few  moderate Republicans there are.  Those candidates will be heckled and attacked and will be out of the race after the first few primaries.

Part of me thinks Trump would be a moron to run.  (Part of me says "You're saying that like he's not a moron.")  

I don't think he wants the work.  I don't think he wants the job.  I don't think he wants to risk the humiliation.  

OTOH, I also have to reflect that, while I don't think Trump actually wanted the job, I think that he absolutely loved being a candidate.  

I could see it either way.  I could see him absolutely loving being interviewed again.  And standing before another mob.  Motorcades and sirens.  Have I mentioned the mobs?  

Then, I could see him feeling flat from them, too.  After four years or Air Force One and Secret Service and Presidential seals, to go back to traveling in things he has to pay for, to get to venues that will almost certainly demand payment in advance, 

We all know that Trump's decision will be made based solely on whether it feeds his ego or not.  But would running feed his ego?  Or would id be a constant reminder of how different things are from what they used to be?  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Part of me thinks Trump would be a moron to run.  (Part of me says "You're saying that like he's not a moron.")  

I don't think he wants the work.  I don't think he wants the job.  I don't think he wants to risk the humiliation.  

OTOH, I also have to reflect that, while I don't think Trump actually wanted the job, I think that he absolutely loved being a candidate.  

I could see it either way.  I could see him absolutely loving being interviewed again.  And standing before another mob.  Motorcades and sirens.  Have I mentioned the mobs?  

Then, I could see him feeling flat from them, too.  After four years or Air Force One and Secret Service and Presidential seals, to go back to traveling in things he has to pay for, to get to venues that will almost certainly demand payment in advance, 

We all know that Trump's decision will be made based solely on whether it feeds his ego or not.  But would running feed his ego?  Or would id be a constant reminder of how different things are from what they used to be?  

I don’t think he would get as many interviews on regular media if he were the nominee.

10 hours ago, Larry said:

I consider it a filibuster.  

My approval of it depends on whether I think the legislation in question warrants shutting down the legislature  

(In this case, I think it does.)  

That fine. For whatever reason I see executing a fillibuster as different from fleeing the state to prevent a quorum and hence a session from being able to take place. 

Im not going to defend my opinion as sound, just is what it is. 

(they’re fleeing the state to avoid the legal ramifications of what they’re doing. There’s no legal ramifications for fillibuster 🤷‍♂️)

Edited by tshile

27 minutes ago, tshile said:

That fine. For whatever reason I see executing a fillibuster as different from fleeing the state to prevent a quorum and hence a session from being able to take place. 

Im not going to defend my opinion as sound, just is what it is. 

(they’re fleeing the state to avoid the legal ramifications of what they’re doing. There’s no legal ramifications for fillibuster 🤷‍♂️)

You aint wrong. Its different than the filibuster. And they will be in legal trouble when they get back. Abbot is threatening to arrest them and hes already wielding the law there to hurt democrat voters. I know he cant wait to get the elected officials. 

It reminds me of sit-ins of the civil rights era more than anything. Those were illegal in may places in the south but they did it anyway. Breaking laws to protect constitutional rights. Good trouble, as they say. 

• Like 11

Yeah it’s why they have to leave the state. State police will come get them if they stay in Texas and can be found. 

I don’t know that they’ll face any criminal charges. I doubt it. They’ll return when they’re ready for session. Not sure Texas law allows for more than dragging them back for session. The last time I remember reading about this sort of thing it was a different state, and I don’t know Texas law. Or really law in general 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, China said:

I guess the next step is... "If we don't vote how we tell you to vote we will arrest you."

From brief twitter read it sounds like an illegal threat or a threat that can't be carried out legally.

I’m more worried about where Republicans are politically now than I was when Trump was elected honestly. 

I mean this guy has been impeached twice, his (bankrupt) company is now indicted, he has had his supporters violently try to over throw the government and faced literally zero consequences for it…..and he’s the center of the party. Still! No one can seriously attempt to dethrone him. And worse, everyone knows how he’s doing it and everyone behind him is smarter than he is. 

How far can this legitimately go? They have already physically attacked the government. What happens if he wins again? 

• Like 3

“Arrested” is an interesting term to use

Are they going to be charged with crimes?

or… just forced to go participate in the special legislative session?

im putting my money on all bark no bite from Abbott. 

42 minutes ago, Llevron said:

How far can this legitimately go? They have already physically attacked the government. What happens if he wins again? 

Fascism and authoritarianism. 

I’m very disappointed in how this is playing out. Both in the general public and in the Biden administrations insistence on some sort of collaborative government. 

we don’t need to go all red scare on it but it’d be nice if we all could just start calling a spade a spade and making it clear to the general public what the choices are here. 

instead they’re gonna **** foot around and probably lose in the midterms 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’m very disappointed in how this is playing out. Both in the general public and in the Biden administrations insistence on some sort of collaborative government. 

we don’t need to go all red scare on it but it’d be nice if we all could just start calling a spade a spade and making it clear to the general public what the choices are here. 

instead they’re gonna **** foot around and probably lose in the midterms 

Honestly I'm not sure what ese people expected. We had at least two candidates that were actively talking about fighting and taking on the Republicans as the adversary they are and we picked the guy talking about going back to normal and working together. People didn't want to elect the people who wanted a fight....or they didn't want to risk it. Whichever I'm not sure. Biden is doing exactly what he said he would do, unfortunately.   

Edit - dont get me wrong. Biden is doing a lot of good things. He has done everything and more one could do about the pandemic. But we have another enemy and hes not even addressing them. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 3