Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Washington promotes Greg Manusky to DC, Hires Jim Tomsula as Dline Coach. Hires Torrian Gray as DB coach!

zCommander

12 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Ricky is quite the contrarian.  Probably not wrong.

Ricky same guy who was beating his chest with the beasts of the easts stuff after they beat the Eagles.    And who took multiple public passive-aggressive shots at Joe Berry.   I like RJF as a rotational DT.     But the outspoken version of RJF -- don't care for so much.

Assume RJF didn't like it that he was let go by Indy, costing him some money back in the Manusky days.   His teammate from back then -- Mike Adams loves Manusky and talked about him on the radio last week.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000473649/article/indianapolis-colts-release-ricky-jean-francois

Another cog in the Colts' free agency binge over the last two years has been let go.

The team announced the release of Ricky Jean Francois on Monday afternoon, saving them from the back end of a four-year, $22 million deal he signed in 2013.

Edit:  agree that JP Finley was assuming that RJF was talking about Manusky.  But it could be about something else.  You never know.  If its about Manusky, wonder if there are repercussions?  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ricky same guy who was beating his chest with the beasts of the easts stuff after they beat the Eagles.    And who took multiple public passive-aggressive shots at Joe Berry.   I like RJF as a rotational DT.     But the outspoken version of RJF -- don't care for so much.

Assume RJF didn't like it that he was let go by Indy, costing him some money back in the Manusky days.   His teammate from back then -- Mike Adams loves Manusky and talked about him on the radio last week.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000473649/article/indianapolis-colts-release-ricky-jean-francois

Another cog in the Colts' free agency binge over the last two years has been let go.

The team announced the release of Ricky Jean Francois on Monday afternoon, saving them from the back end of a four-year, $22 million deal he signed in 2013.

I said probably not wrong, not because Ricky is a great source of knowledge or not a complete idiot, but because we always seem to have to pick "who we can get".  This does seem a bit like one of those picks. But what do I know?

Crap. I wanted Pettine. Better track record and someone hungry to prove himself again. At least Greg knows the team and WAS a Redskin as a player, if that makes any difference these days. 

Well, on the bright side, all we needed last year was a reasonably competent defense, and we'd have made the playoffs. Shoot for that, Greg: "reasonably competent." 

This is of course assuming we keep Cousins. 

6 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

I said probably not wrong, not because Ricky is a great source of knowledge or not a complete idiot, but because we always seem to have to pick "who we can get".  This does seem a bit like one of those picks. But what do I know?

Nothing. Nothing at all...

6 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Feels like Joe Barry, Vol. 2.

Hope I'm wrong. 

Good luck, Greg. 

More like Jim Haslett Vol. 2. Those yards and ppg numbers in the bottom 3rd of the league sure look similar to Hasletts body of work. I just have a feeling this time next year we will be looking for an entirely new coaching staff and QB (I think we will end up franchising Kirk another year leaving him open to walk for a complete reset). I really hope I'm wrong, but this is Washington DC sports. All Manusky has to do is get us to be an average defense week in and week out and this is a 10 win team. I really hope with some added pieces he can achieve that so we aren't rebuilding again. This next year is the one I have been looking forward to where we should be competing and a top 3rd of the league team that makes the playoffs and wins a game or two. 2017 season is a make or break year.

52 minutes ago, zskins said:

Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/22/washington-promotes-greg-manusky-to-defensive-coordinator/

After all the rain and the dance. We had a great D coach right on the staff. Amazing! Welcome Greg to the team. :D

Hold on, I'm not sold.  Manusky's resume isn't terribly impressive.  We needed a clean break from the Haslett-Barry philosophy.  

The die is cast, however.  So we must give him a chance.

Well, this is a little bit of a underwhelming hire for most, and I have to agree to an extent. I'm not a huge fan of sticking with the 3-4, which we probably will stick with now. On the bright side, Greg has made chicken salad out of chicken crap more than once (almost all of his defenses have had little talent) so I think he's a definate upgrade over Barry. I think he might have been brought in by GMSM last year for just this reason, as he was the DC for San Fran during Scot's years there. I really wanted Phillips, and would have preferred Pettine, but I think Manusky is a pretty solid hire. Not amazing, but solid.

24 minutes ago, RWJ said:

It will be interesting to see if Scot give him the pieces he needs. 

His history seems that he's likely a guy who will get the most from what he has.  UDFA to a guy with a 12 year career and got his basic knowledge from a guy who ran a pretty good defense without a load of elite talent.  With a few middle of the road adds, he took the SFO defense from among the worst to middle of the pack in 1 year and finally to an above average one for two seasons.  At the Colts he took a very bad defense and got them to a bit above average.  No evidence about what he'd do with a load of elite tools.

Was he the coordinator of an 0-16 team? No? Ok, HUGE improvement over the last decision they made

Its not sexy.  But I don't think sexy was really available .  Wade wasn't coming here.  Is Bradley sexy? Eh, maybe but not really.  

Gregg would have been intriguing. Maybe sexy. But the Browns hired him kinda without even an interview. 

Pettine is NOT sexy.  

Rob Ryan makes sexy girls run away.

The only Sexy that was on the market was Rex Ryan.  That would have been a catch.  Not sure I'd really endorse it, but it would have been the spasht/sexy move.  But he's doing TV.  

So they got a guy guy that has a good track record, has been in the organization, and who SM knows.  

I'm ok with it. Not sexy, but probably functional.

This seems like a 'more of the same' type of hiring.  Continuity of scheme and approach is likely.  Kind of disturbing that the FO office (Or Gruden) isn't able to grow beyond always resorting to look for their solutions from among the ranks of old alumni coaches from Tampa/San Francisco .  Sure, the Skins FO tried interviewing a number of candidates -- but it seems like they were already privately anticipating that they'd eventually be hiring Manusky.

It's also sad to see this, because It implies that the Skins haven't been able to re-cast the Franchise's reputation into a desirable place/team for the upper-tier NFL coaches to consider joining.  No doubt, this might be due to concerns around Gruden's long term prospects as Skins HC; that could give many top-tier defensive coaches pause to consider whether it was wise to join DC's  franchise.

And while continuity can be a good thing for players -- I'm not certain why the Skins FO would want to continue the ineffective Barry defense, now by one of Barry's lieutenants.  It seems like doubling down on a hand with very long odds of paying off.  Hopefully, Manusky can improve on the defense he helped run.

That said, I wish all the best to Manusky and hope he can remake the Barry playbook into something more effective.

5 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

While continuity can be a good thing for players -- I'm not certain why the Skins FO sought to continue the Barry defense under one of his lieutenants.  It seems like doubling down on a hand with very long odds of paying off.

So far, there doesn't seem to be any real indication that we are sticking with Barry's defense

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Taken from the other thread:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2s4Gp6VIAIG1JP.jpg:large

I keep hearing Manusky had no talent, but this is reasonably strong evidence against that.

Give me a break. Half those players were trash when they were playing for Manusky. Laron Landry? D'Qwell Jackson?

That's like someone saying our defense was flush with talent last year because we employed 4 career probowlers: Ryan Kerrigan, Josh Norman, Deangelo Hall, Donte Whitner.

Archived