Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Washington promotes Greg Manusky to DC, Hires Jim Tomsula as Dline Coach. Hires Torrian Gray as DB coach!

zCommander

I'm interested in seeing who we hire as assistants. During the search it was clear the McCloughan-Manusky-Tarver-Tomsula-Nolan-

Pagano connection may be a big factor as to why he's a good candidate. It's not just about what you can do as a DC in terms of scheme and strategy, it's about who you can hire and how well you'll work with personnel acquisition. 

Manusky might be able to assemble the best assistant staff. Let's see how that goes. 

Either way, FA/Draft >>>>>>> this coaching search - in terms of how things go next season. 

5 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

This is basically Haslett. It's not Joe Barry bad though. 

I think you're being harsh. I suspect he's a solid DC who's good enough to elevate poor talent which is what we saw in Indianapolis, but he's not a genius. I prefer to be optimistic on Day 1... unless Manusky starts tweeting. Can't trust a guy who makes idiotic tweets on Day 1.

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think you're being harsh. I suspect he's a solid DC who's good enough to elevate poor talent which is what we saw in Indianapolis, but he's not a genius. I prefer to be optimistic on Day 1... unless Manusky starts tweeting. Can't trust a guy who makes idiotic tweets on Day 1.

How am I being harsh? His defensive rankings as a coordinator are just like Hasletts. Can't even use talent as an excuse because he had a ton of it in San Fran and they were still mediocre until he left. 

3 minutes ago, SteveFromYellowstone said:

This just gives me a sinking feeling we'll be blowing everything up in a year or two anyway

Nah...we have had back-to-back winning seasons and our team is on the rise. Jay deserves an extention and a little more credit.

2 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

they were still mediocre until he left. 

I will take mediocre at this point...

Just now, Birdlives said:

I hope this thread is easy to find and I hope I get the opportunity to come back and quote the people who have already condemned Manusky before he's even been 1 day on the job. I'm skeptical, but to out and out dismiss this as a disaster seems short-sighted.

Well we could go back and look through all the people that said give Barry a chance but that wouldn't exactly be productive would it? Unless we have a massive influx of talent and I mean MASSIVE, I don't see how it's possible that he would be the one we're really seeking when he has show almost no evidence of it elsewhere. I pray he proves me wrong and I'll gladly eat crow. Like I said this just reeks of a coaching staff blowup in a year or two.

1 hour ago, Bang said:

I'm fine with this, but if this was the best option, i don't get all the waiting. 
Psychologically, it smacks of a move of last resort.
And because of that , i think that psychologically speaking, it puts  the same shade on Cavanaugh's promotion. 

But overall, i"m OK with it because I think both are qualified. 

~Bang

I get that, but I think if he was a last resort the team would have waited longer and interviewed coaches from more playoff teams.

Reports were that Bradley was the 1st choice and that of the other candidates Manusky had the best interview. That would explain the waiting, plus Jay not wanting to mess a 3rd hire up it makes sense the team interviewed a lot of candidates to make sure their top couple choices were the best for them among what was available.

13 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

How am I being harsh? His defensive rankings as a coordinator are just like Hasletts. Can't even use talent as an excuse because he had a ton of it in San Fran and they were still mediocre until he left. 

Not really... Manusky often had steady improvement wherever he went, Haslett had a steady decline even after inheriting great defense's. 

3 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Not really... Manusky often had steady improvement wherever he went, Haslett had a steady decline even after inheriting great defense's. 

The stats have been posted TSO, he didn't improve. It was up and down, all over the place defensive rankings. I want the guy to do well, I'm just happy Barry is gone. 

21 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

That's exactly what I said a few pages back, this seems like Haslett looking at YPG and PPG. I agree also with what was said above, FA/Draft is more important. I just have to believe with solid talent we can make it to middle of the pack defense and that's all we really need at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:
8 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

The stats have been posted TSO, he didn't improve. It was up and down, all over the place defensive rankings. I want the guy to do well, I'm just happy Barry is gone. 

Ok, if that's the case (which I'm not sure of, I think DVOA tells a different story, but that's fine) then the stats were up and down versus Haslett's steady decline, even after inheriting great defense's. Right? 

Which is better? 

Archived