Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Washington promotes Greg Manusky to DC, Hires Jim Tomsula as Dline Coach. Hires Torrian Gray as DB coach!

zCommander

1 minute ago, BLEED-B&G said:

Hard to get excited about a promotion from within in this case.

He was part of the problem this year. Promoting him to DC says he has the answers to our problems. Where were his solutions this year? He kept them to himself? Couldn't inspire Barry to follow his lead?

My fingers are crossed Jay got it right this time.

To be fair, OLB was one of the few units that did ok this season.

If your boss sucks, does that mean you suck too?

31 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm going to throw out a contrarian theory out there.

Good theory and I hope you are right.

I cannot recall an internal promotion delayed by so many external interviews.

Doing their homework!  It just seems a lot of interviews for a guy they were already sure of.

41 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm going to throw out a contrarian theory out there.

Greg Manusky was actually the Redskins' first choice for Defensive Coordinator. That's why they didn't let him go when they darn near let everyone else go. Now, the reason they took so long is because they knew they had them and they wanted to see if anyone else would completely blow them away. No one did. Not Pettine, Bradley, Thurman, or anyone else they interviewed. So, they stuck with their first choice and so got the man they thought they wanted the whole time. 

In essence, no other candidate out there was good enough to beat Greg Manusky or change Jay and Scott's mind. We got out our A choice.

First quote I've seen that makes this hire a somewhat positive one. I completely agree, and also being a former 'Skins player, I think he could bring on the passion and make this an aggressive D. This is gonna work out...

Those saying Barry 2.0, based on what? An internal hire, who is an ex-Skin, who has had decent stints as a DC is nothing like giving a second chance to a guy who statistically coached one of the worst Ds of all time. Nothing.

Additionally it was widely rumored that it was Bradley or Manusky, so just because he may be YOUR 4th choice does not mean he is the Skins. It was also circulated he would be more aggressive than Barry's scheme, which the brass and players coveted, where as Bradley was going to be more in the mold of a Seattle scheme (less about aggressive blitz packages and more about attacking gaps).

He should be able to pull together a better staff than a guy out of football last year and with the previously relationship with Scot there is the added bonus of knowing what type of player will fit the scheme.

Forget how you feel about the process, that side of the ball just got better before we've even added pieces. This is a LB offseason where we will add pieces. 

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

If they were anticipating hiring Manusky, and were going to do so anyway, why wait for Bradley to sign on in LA? If we're always looking for Tampa/San Fransisco ranks (it seems, though now his has grown, hasn't it? It was "always Tampa" so now we're including SF.) Why even bother to interview Pettine, Bradley, or even attempt to line up interviews with Wilks and Phillips?

Disclaimer:- I'm GUESSING here:

Rooney rule

A chance to interview possible position coaches who Manusky had already expressed an interest in

An opportunity to interview other options to get a little more insight on the state of our D

The illusion of a due diligence search to avoid accusations of making  a knee-jerk decision

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

Disclaimer:- I'm GUESSING here:

Rooney rule

A chance to interview possible position coaches who Manusky had already expressed an interest in

An opportunity to interview other options to get a little more insight on the state of our D

The illusion of a due diligence search to avoid accusations of making  a knee-jerk decision

Its certainly possible. In reality it's all just speculation. The notion of bad "optics" is based on a lot of assumptions, some of which are based on perceptions from previous regimes who were not as professional as Scot seems to be.

16 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

To be fair, OLB was one of the few units that did ok this season.

If your boss sucks, does that mean you suck too?

I do think it's a reflection, but not an absolute. All members of the staff should have input. Good staff make a bad DC look good, bad staff make a good DC look bad.

I have no idea how Berry was hired in the first place but I am happy to see the front office culture changing. I am so accustomed to the Redskins front office performing wholesale firing of its coaching staff that I have become institutionalized to the point where I actually began to think the insanity of these habitual changes has been the right decision. Maybe I am being opimistic but I love the concept of promoting from within. I am not a huge fan of promoting from within Berry's defense but I do love the culture change. 

I'm fine with this, but if this was the best option, i don't get all the waiting. 
Psychologically, it smacks of a move of last resort.
And because of that , i think that psychologically speaking, it puts  the same shade on Cavanaugh's promotion. 

But overall, i"m OK with it because I think both are qualified. 

~Bang

3 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I have no idea how Berry was hired in the first place but I am happy to see the front office culture changing. I am so accustomed to the Redskins front office performing wholesale firing of its coaching staff that I have become institutionalized to the point where I actually began to think the insanity of these habitual changes has been the right decision. Maybe I am being opimistic but I love the concept of promoting from within. I am not a huge fan of promoting from within Berry's defense but I do love the culture change. 

There's something to be said for continuity. It's really what I've always wanted. As they didn't torpedo Jay, promoting from within like other professional org's was fine. I think a lot of people just don't like the process. Why wait?

3 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

There's something to be said for continuity. It's really what I've always wanted. As they didn't torpedo Jay, promoting from within like other professional org's was fine. I think a lot of people just don't like the process. Why wait?

Continuity is great when your coordinator leaves because he got a head coaching gig, not when the D.C. got fired because he was coaching one of the worst units ever. It's whatever, I hope it works but this just smacks of stupidity. This franchise goes from point A to point B in the most roundabout ways and that's why we've sucked for so long. 

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

...What makes you think Manusky will run the Barry playbook? Why would you think he takes the same scheme and approach that got Barry fired?

... If they were anticipating hiring Manusky, and were going to do so anyway, why wait for Bradley to sign on in LA?   If we're always looking for Tampa/San Fransisco ranks (it seems, though now his has grown, hasn't it? It was "always Tampa" so now we're including SF.) Why even bother to interview Pettine, Bradley, or even attempt to line up interviews with Wilks and Phillips?

@Riggo#44:

You made good points about how my posted opinion is based my personal opinions/impressions of how things unfolded.  Like many here on ES, I don't have insider information -- and so I shape my opinion on what I read, or observe. (Also, having worked in large organizations before, I also tend to consider whether  patterns of office politics I've observed in those groups, might apply to this situation.)  

Candidly, I don't feel I need to be defensive about that practice.  This is a fan-based message board, and we're allowed some liberty in content when expressing our opinions. (Whatever I've posted is not going to hurt anyone, after all.). Anyhow, I'd be glad to try to answer a few of your questions - although I already suspect you won't agree with the quality of my reasoning.

1.  I've observe that when you promote from within, the new leadership still tends to retain a lot of continuity with what they'd been part of before.  Also, I also got the sense that Barry's approach reflected a lot of input from his lieutenants.  So how much new material emerges from Manusky?  We'll see. But I think had they brought in Pettine or some other 'outsider'-- there would probably have been more dramatic changes.  But that's just supposition and what-ifs.

2.  You're right about the list of former "connections" having grown.  Allen and Gruden have relationships forged from their Tampa backgrounds, but they've had to make room for McCloughan -- who seems slightly pre-disposed to familiarity with the talent he'd encountered during his tenure with Seattle and San Francisco. 

After the obligatory attempt for 'marquee' candidate,Wade Phillips, I suspect Bradley was the one that McCloughan was pushing for.  I think Gruden and Allen might have still been favoring their incumbent,  Manusky -- especially considering how Bradley was a hot commodity and probably a long shot.  As for interviewing, I think the Skins FO wants to be seen as performing due diligence, interviewing a wide range.  This includes guys who are probably not going to come here, the Skins' lesser desirable candidates (Robb Ryan), and then the one Gruden/Allen  wanted/expected to get.

It's pretty arbitrary I know -- but I've seen a lot of selection processes tend unfold that way.  Perhaps I shouldn't have projected that type of observation onto the Redskins, but is somewhat possible..

Anyhow, I hope my reply clarified why I said what I did, and was polite.   Normally, I don't post trying to justify my views, but I did this time because I've respected much of what you said in many other posts.

I 'll leave you the final word, if you feel the need to comment on this post.  Thanks!

1 minute ago, Taylor703 said:

Continuity is great when your coordinator leaves because he got a head coaching gig, not when the D.C. got fired because he was coaching one of the worst units ever. It's whatever, I hope it works but this just smacks of stupidity. This franchise goes from point A to point B in the most roundabout ways and that's why we've sucked for so long. 

Meh, the Ravens fire and promote all the time and no one questions their org. 

44 minutes ago, BLEED-B&G said:

Hard to get excited about a promotion from within in this case.

He was part of the problem this year. Promoting him to DC says he has the answers to our problems. Where were his solutions this year? He kept them to himself? Couldn't inspire Barry to follow his lead?

My fingers are crossed Jay got it right this time.

How do you know he was part of the problem? His group was the only group that played pretty well. And there have been multiple reports of Barry not listening and making changes until he was forced from higher up. Like moving Cravens to safety and having Norman follow the top receivers.

11 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

They're beginning too. Its been failing for them a lot lately. 

They fired their OC and promoted their QB coach and won the Super Bowl the following year. Just saying, promoting from within after a firing is not always a guaranteed negative. Sometimes, not always.

Archived