Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Washington promotes Greg Manusky to DC, Hires Jim Tomsula as Dline Coach. Hires Torrian Gray as DB coach!

zCommander

46 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I was more referring to benching RG3 and starting Kirk than anything else.

As for how much this reflects on Jay, it equally does on Scot as well. Personnel is a big, big part of this. It's a big part of why Barry failed himself. They all understand that. Just because Barry got fired doesn't mean they believe all was fine on that front, or that it wasn't the biggest factor. 

There's nothing out there that would suggest he was selected for him. There's no question that Jay, himself, likes Manusky as well. So, yeah, group decision for sure, but Jay does have final say regarding his coaching staff if we are to believe what comes out of their own mouths. Scot will always be a big part of the decision because comfort with those coaches regarding personnel acquisition is extremely important. And Manusky is more connected to Scot than Jay relating to their pasts.   

I think the desire for both Bradley and Manusky clearly point to an emphasis on getting someone in here who could work with Scot in terms of personnel acquisition better than Barry did. 

RG3 was benched for Colt in 2014.  He had earlier started Kirk only because RG3 had got hurt.  RG3 only got benched for Kirk in 2015.  Didn't call him an idiot for that move.  Thought it was a good move because 1 of 2 things could happen:  he'd get fired or something like what happened would happen.   With Kirk, his over-under was 7-8 with RG it would have been 5-6.

5 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

The optics really don't matter.  Results do.  I hope it works out.

Agreed. Who cares about optics? Perform, and then nobody will care. Every year, there are hires all over the NFL that look great on paper, but they fail miserably. The optics were great on those, but ultimately, they failed. Just perform. The initial optics don't mean a damn thing. 

4 minutes ago, rdskn4eva said:

Wow.  You could have had a proven guy in gus but we get a guy that's never had a top 10 defense. I don't get it. I hope he turns out to be a good choice

Well, we can't force Gus to be here, probably offered him a contract and Gus ultimately decided to be with his boy Lynn like reported when Lynn was first looking to a HC job, just saying.

6 minutes ago, rdskn4eva said:

Wow.  You could have had a proven guy in gus but we get a guy that's never had a top 10 defense. I don't get it. I hope he turns out to be a good choice

Manusky also never had the same talent that Gus had in Seattle. I was never sold on Gus. A lot of people can do great things with great talent. I'm not turning cartwheels about Manusky, but I don't think Gus would have been a guaranteed homerun given our circumstances. 

Just to add my .02

I stated who i wanted in other threads so i won't say anything about that here.  My main questions with Manusky are scheme, system and style related. I don't care as much about 4-3 vs 3-4, except that i don't think that Murphy, Kerriga , Smith and Baker are bums and I'd like our system to use them well.  

Outside of that though,  i care about our corners.  Will we play press man?  That seems to be what we are strongest at and without the FS help I'd like to leave the corners on an island more often.  

I'd also want a guy who blitzes more, and from all over.  I think Cravens, our corners, and Foster are all fast enough to blitz effectively and i hope we can design some effective blitz packages. 

Otherwise,  i just hope we get a rotation going on defense where were not just playing 11 guys.  I'd like to see guys coming in off the bench getting reps on the dl and at lb. Maybe corner too, but i just want guys to be given opportunities to shine.  

C'mon, lets give Manusky a chance. 99.99% of us do not have the insight into defenses like he does, and he's played the game; maybe it helps, maybe not, but support is what he deserves, until he proves otherwise.

Am I happy this was the choice? Honestly I was kinda leaning on the Pettine bandwagon, and probably hoping deep down that GW sobered up and realized he signed with Cleveland and quit, but that's me. If he's in over his head, we'll know soon enough, but it can't be worse than Barry, and maybe he might revert to a true 4-3 and we'll all see improvement, but lets not bury the guy before he has a chance.

5 hours ago, Burgold said:

I'm going to throw out a contrarian theory out there.

Greg Manusky was actually the Redskins' first choice for Defensive Coordinator. That's why they didn't let him go when they darn near let everyone else go. Now, the reason they took so long is because they knew they had them and they wanted to see if anyone else would completely blow them away. No one did. Not Pettine, Bradley, Thurman, or anyone else they interviewed. So, they stuck with their first choice and so got the man they thought they wanted the whole time. 

In essence, no other candidate out there was good enough to beat Greg Manusky or change Jay and Scott's mind. We got out our A choice.

I've actually suggested that this was done last year. Barry looked bad after year 1 and Manusky was brought in last season, just in case Barry was who I thought he was (sucks) while our the "future" DC gets to evaluate talent for a year.

56 minutes ago, skins6 said:

To chime in on all this coaching chatter...after coaching this game for over 30+ years I realize good Coaches are important but good players are MORE important. 

Scotty get us some stud defensive players.

Both go hand in hand.  Scotty brought in good players to the 49ers but that team underperformed until Harbaugh took over coaching.  

9 hours ago, dckey said:

Manusky DC Rankings

San Francisco 2007-2012

2007 25th YPG - 20th PPG - 19th 3rd Down %

2008 13th YPG - 23rd PPG - 12th 3rd Down %

2009 15th YPG - 4th PPG  - 10th 3rd Down %

2010 13th YPG - 16th PPG - 19th 3rd Down %

San Diego 2011

2011 16th YPG - 22nd PPG - 32nd 3rd Down %

Indianapolis 2012-2015

2012 26th YPG - 21st PPG - 14th 3rd Down %

2013 20th YPG - 9th PPG  - 15th 3rd Down %

2014 11th YPG - 19th PPG - 2nd 3rd Down %

2015 26th YPG - 25th PPG - 17th 3rd Down % 

So you're saying it's an improvement?

2 hours ago, lovetoaster said:

Agreed. Who cares about optics? Perform, and then nobody will care. Every year, there are hires all over the NFL that look great on paper, but they fail miserably. The optics were great on those, but ultimately, they failed. Just perform. The initial optics don't mean a damn thing. 

John Fox and Vic Fangio's ears are burning here in Chicago. 

It's past time for this franchise get their mess together and put a team on the field that can compete in the playoffs and win another Superbowl. Too many teams have improved past us in a far less amount of time while we stumble into a playoff game here or there, only to lose in the first round.

32 minutes ago, allskinz said:

So did we hire Tomsula yet?  Conflicting info floating around.

Several local DC affiliates reporting it, NBC RedskinSporttalk asking fans to retweet to welcome him to the team. Got think it's happened, but nothing from the big sources yet-- they might be busy recalling title games.

Archived