Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Washington promotes Greg Manusky to DC, Hires Jim Tomsula as Dline Coach. Hires Torrian Gray as DB coach!

zCommander

I heard BMitch and Doc this afternoon, talking about how Barry's scheme was far too complex. Exactly something that I suspect results from a hybrid scheme few of the players have been in before.  If in week 13 players are still blowing assignments, it's time to simplify. BMitch said OCs and DC purposefully make their playbooks more complex and lengthy to make themselves seem smarter, or something to that effect. 

It's one of my complaints about OCs for decades, the overly complex lengthy playbook written for a style of QB that OC does not have. It took Saunders a full year to cut his playbook in half for Jason. DCs usually keep it simple.

I want to stop the run too. But unless we have 2 starting grade NTs, I don't like the idea of being so dependent on that ever elusive nose. I would rather build a D around 4-5 largely interchangeable DTs, versus a defense built around 1 NT and a backup that is not starter grade, our best case scenario.

I like what I've heard about his philosophy. I wasnt a fan of Bradley's cover 3 defense.  I'm not really into 3-4 either,  but if i have to choose,  i want a 3-4 man defense. The fact that he mentioned corners has me kinda happy but not at the level he emphasized. I think we're fine art corner, but like he said there were probably communication issues between them and the safeties.  But I'd hate to see us upgrade at cb and forget about fs and ss or ilb. 

Just a point about hiring from inside and the Gruden comment,  i really think that was a shot at Barry. Case in point,  we saw that Murphy improved.  We saw that Barry didn't know what he was doing (or talking about) with playing man with Norman.  I think it was obvious that they didn't practice that in the offseason although it's the best way to play breeland and Norman can play it. Hearing the why Norman couldn't play it because it would confuse the defense was pain to my ears. There are questions about who should have been playing at ilb, fs, ss and nt.

But besides all that stuff i still contend that our defense was not that bad.  We were historically bad on third downs,  but we're still able to get teams into a lot of 3rd and mediums and 3rd and longs.  That's ideal for most defenses. Just because we couldn't ever take advantage doesn't mean we are horrible,  or that we have universally bad talent (remember how we complained about our ol issues.  Montgomery already has a ring and Chester is starting at G on a sb team). I'm not saying that we should walk into next year with the same 25 guys on defense,  but throughout a year we will have to play guys who aren't ideal and if we cant figure out how to do this,  we're still going to stuck unless we're extremely lucky with injuries.  

If I'm Redskins with all that cap space I'm going all-in for a NT. We need D to improve to average in 1 season. It can be done but NT is the key to stop the run and rush passer too. Sure you could draft one but any that stand out likely won't fall to 17. Get a free agent. Poe, Short, Branch, etc.

On 1/22/2017 at 6:59 PM, skins island connection said:

C'mon, lets give Manusky a chance. 99.99% of us do not have the insight into defenses like he does, and he's played the game; maybe it helps, maybe not, but support is what he deserves, until he proves otherwise.

Am I happy this was the choice? Honestly I was kinda leaning on the Pettine bandwagon, and probably hoping deep down that GW sobered up and realized he signed with Cleveland and quit, but that's me. If he's in over his head, we'll know soon enough, but it can't be worse than Barry, and maybe he might revert to a true 4-3 and we'll all see improvement, but lets not bury the guy before he has a chance.

well said

16 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

If I'm Redskins with all that cap space I'm going all-in for a NT. We need D to improve to average in 1 season. It can be done but NT is the key to stop the run and rush passer too. Sure you could draft one but any that stand out likely won't fall to 17. Get a free agent. Poe, Short, Branch, etc.

Absolutely. Draft is going to be more of a BPA, so you use FA for need. if we stick with the 3-4, get a couple NT's a MLB, and a WIL and look around as FS. It can be done. Then, draft BPA, maybe look for a LG as well. I'd still lean on on D for the draft though. Offensively we're good, and we have depth. Defensively we have neither.

1 hour ago, elkabong82 said:

If Im a GM i address needs in FA and BPA in the draft, all day every day

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/29914/greg-manusky-says-redskins-will-stick-with-3-4-but-must-stop-the-run

...Stopping the run: .. "We have to pressure quarterbacks, and in our division you better stop the run. Plain and simple. It was like that when I was here playing. We’ve got to stop the run and run the ball."

Earlier in the interview, Manusky had said, "As an inside linebacker, I won’t have anyone run the ball on us. That’s the most important thing. It breaks you down like, 'What else can we do?' Up front, we have to dominate the front. Linebackers, take heed because we’re going to come downhill and start striking iron."

... Manusky speaks with a lot of passion, and that’s what players noticed in meetings. "There’s a lot of spark and a lot of Red Bull prior to going in those meetings," he said. "You have to have energy when you go in there ... You have to get those guys to play with some fire and passion. This is a great part of their lives and don’t let it be wasted by an 8-7-1 season. I don’t care who’s in the room, I’ll get them fired up and get them to play at their best ability every snap."

On that note:

Fifty Gut @FiftyGutBlog

49ers yards per rush allowed under Jim Tomsula as DL coach; 07: T4th 08: T8th 09: T2nd 10: 2nd 11: T1st 12: T3rd 13: T7th 14: T8th

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Anyone else excited to have a Ron Jeremy lookalike on our sidelines?  Who's with me?

You would like that. :ols: 

I just hope I don't see many, uhm, close ups when you're taking photos on the sidelines of him. :blush:

9 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Absolutely. Draft is going to be more of a BPA, so you use FA for need. if we stick with the 3-4, get a couple NT's a MLB, and a WIL and look around as FS. It can be done. Then, draft BPA, maybe look for a LG as well. I'd still lean on on D for the draft though. Offensively we're good, and we have depth. Defensively we have neither.

I would rather say we have depth on D but are lacking starters.

I like all that "The Man" has to say. And he said a lot. But he sounded like a ES poster saying we need a nose.  If it was easy to do, we would have had 2 every year since we went to the 3-4.    He seems to be pushing all in on a presumed all down nose.  This plays out 1 of 2 ways.

We finally get a stud all down nose. OK great, if all goes to plan, and he stuffs the run on first. Is he going to jog off the field on every 2nd down, so that we can switch to our sexy hybrid, since it seems like that is what the man likes, even in his days in Indy?  Or, is the all down nose going to stay in, and make us more a pure 3-4? If he is jogging off for every passing down, that will kinda suck since we finally have an all down nose. I hope Scot doesn't overspend in this case.

We don't get an all down nose.  Some argue the 3-4 is likely destined to fail, but we will stick to it I mean run a 4-3 and hope for the best. We will try to beef up someone from last season and plug him in there. My prediction is Ioannidis. Then we are back to the no worries, we barely use the 3-4 anyways "defense".  And the challenges of projecting and converting guys to the 3-4 only to use them in a 4-3 continues for another year. And I contend, the foolishness continues.

Either we don't use our all down nose on all downs, or we ditch the hybrid.  Not knowing what we will run exactly, makes Scot's job much more difficult. Scot has to draft for both the 3-4 and 4-3, right?

I am hoping my thoughts on the merits of changing 4-3 guys into 3-4 guys only to use them in a 4-3 spurs greater discussions. If I am the only one that thinks its stupid, carry on. Does anyone think that Kerrigan at his college playing weight loses his motor?  I think Kerrigan and Preston losing weight make them easy targets to run at on 2nd down once we jog our nose off and go to our preferred 4-3/4-2-5. I think putting them in pass coverage makes them easy targets for the QB, and makes the QB glad our best pass rushers are not going to be rushing at him. We made them lose weight for that?

I offer one Trent Murphy as proof that making stud college DL lose weight for our 3-4 that we don't use, is stupid. He bulked up to play line, but went back to backer, and kicked ass.  It took an injury to see what I have wanted to see for years. Stop changing our studs on D (and entire front 7) into something they are not.

Murphy played mostly standing up at OLB in college. He was drafted to play OLB, but we drafted Smith and signed JR and Murphy has the build and style to play end. It was really difficult for him to gain the weight, which he had never done. He easily lost the weight quickly when JR got injured again.

You should check out his blog. It's excellent. @RandyHolt

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Murphy played mostly standing up at OLB in college. He was drafted to play OLB, but we drafted Smith and signed JR and Murphy has the build and style to play end. It was really difficult for him to gain the weight, which he had never done. He easily lost the weight quickly when JR got injured again.

You should check out his blog. It's excellent. @RandyHolt

Thanks, I have visited the blog. I thought he was listed as a defensive linemen in college. Standing up doesn't mean much to me. To me, was he used in pass coverage, and what was his playing weight. Jersey number is sometimes a tell.  Those tell me if a guy was a lineman or backer. Of course, he was a sack machine. 

Many plays on this tube, he is hand in dirt. On plastic.

I think my proof still stands, a bulked up OLB in our system can dominate, if not expected to be used in pass coverage.

16 hours ago, elkabong82 said:

Completely agree with you. My vote is we target the Eagles, Bennie Logan

Bennie Logan is 6’2”, weighs 309 pounds, has 34” arms and is 26 years old. Logan was drafted by the Eagles in the third round of the 2013 draft. He had 55 tackles in 2015 and 57 tackles in 2014. Pro Football Focus had this to say about him a year ago, “Bennie Logan is the fourth-best DT in the NFL against the run (+12.5 run grade) and leads the league in PFF stop percentage with 25 stops in 163 snaps.”

Not only would it hurt the Eagles, it would fix that position. Double whammy!

More on Logan

Logan has played in 12 games this season, totaling 23 tackles, two forced fumbles and 2.5 sacks. The three games he missed was due to a groin injury.

Although his numbers don't jump off the page, Logan is a key member of the Eagles' defensive line, and their best defender against the run. With Logan out, the Eagles gave up 230 rushing yards to the Washington Redskins in Week 6, and then 187 yards on the ground to the Dallas Cowboys the following week.

The Eagles DVOA this year was 4th in the league, and 13th against the rush. Those games missed were by far the worst showings by this Defense against the rush all season. The Eagles enter Free Agency with only 3.5 million in space and I doubt can keep him, would love to add him

31 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

More on Logan

Logan has played in 12 games this season, totaling 23 tackles, two forced fumbles and 2.5 sacks. The three games he missed was due to a groin injury.

Although his numbers don't jump off the page, Logan is a key member of the Eagles' defensive line, and their best defender against the run. With Logan out, the Eagles gave up 230 rushing yards to the Washington Redskins in Week 6, and then 187 yards on the ground to the Dallas Cowboys the following week.

The Eagles DVOA this year was 4th in the league, and 13th against the rush. Those games missed were by far the worst showings by this Defense against the rush all season. The Eagles enter Free Agency with only 3.5 million in space and I doubt can keep him, would love to add him

Bennie Logan claims he wants to remain an Eagle and they have other guys they can cut or not re-sign that would make that happen.

Just now, Darth Tater said:

Bennie Logan claims he wants to remain an Eagle and they have other guys they can cut or not re-sign that would make that happen.

Seen the same reports. But name one NFL player where money doesn't matter? It does and the Eagles are strapped for cash and while he may give them a home town discount doesn't mean a little green won't change his mind. I think we should try

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Seen the same reports. But name one NFL player where money doesn't matter? It does and the Eagles are strapped for cash and while he may give them a home town discount doesn't mean a little green won't change his mind. I think we should try

The FAs they've got are pretty much not going to be resigned.  Given the value to the defense you noted, there are several guys on the defense they can cut and there are a few high paid under performers on offense that could see the door.  Yes, we can pay over-market for him but that if what you are reporting about him is agreed on by the Eagles FO and he isn't lying about wanting to remain an Eagle, that is the only way we get him,

On 1/22/2017 at 3:24 PM, BLEED-B&G said:

I do think it's a reflection, but not an absolute. All members of the staff should have input. Good staff make a bad DC look good, bad staff make a good DC look bad.

No offense, but he was his "boss" for one year. After being in his "bosses" position for 9 years. I think it has zero barring, and I'm not sure about how much input Manuski had, considering how different his defenses looked when he was is own DC.

Archived