Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Washington promotes Greg Manusky to DC, Hires Jim Tomsula as Dline Coach. Hires Torrian Gray as DB coach!

zCommander

Historically, we have rarely had elite LBs, especially of the "it is agreed by all" type.  We have had good ones but some of our best have either been unknown talents at the time they were brought or generally believed to be has-beens when signed.  In fact, some of our JAG backers came from our use of high picks.  Manusky himself had a tidy career at LB even though he was only a UDFA.  His earliest exposure to the NFL was with a team that had only 1 elite LB but was part of an above average defense (not so much as a rookie).  Even in his second stop, he was part of a decent defense run by a future SB coach named Tony Dungy.  His final stop was with KC which had only 1 elite guy as a backer.  Again, this defense was above average to very good and was coached by one of the best defensive minds in the game at that time.  In his first year a LB coach, he had only one backer who might be elite (and failed to attain that status, ever) and a UDFA who went on to be a good MLB.  His next stop was San Diego, where again, he had no backers of note except the oft-injured Shawn Merriman.

18 hours ago, BTBIRD 227 said:

Everyone keeps referring to free agency as the cure all for our troubles on the defensive side of the ball. 

If I remember correctly Scott M was basically against major free agency acquisitions. Scott M feels the free agency  is for teams to get rid of malcontents and or  has beens. Yes there are a few gems out there in free agency (Norman), but most of the time free agents are some other teams headache or pre Madonnas or just plain people living on their past accomplishments.

Scott likes youth on his football squad , to build the defense we need a good draft, and I think Manusky would prefer players he can mold in to his brand of player. 

I just want to see the Skins to be very wise in their decisions , we have the cap numbers in our favor, build  Manusky's  defense thru the draft, Hail:247:

Yep. We won't go crazy in FA. It'll be like last year I think, more value based signings. I do think we'll go all out on the D in the draft though.

Personally I don't think FA is really more than a short term solution anyway. Everyone points to the Giants and sure they had a great turnaround, but in a year or two those contracts are going to cripple them.

I'd much rather go the Falcon route and keep adding young players that get better as the season goes on.

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep. We won't go crazy in FA. It'll be like last year I think, more value based signings. I do think we'll go all out on the D in the draft though.

Personally I don't think FA is really more than a short term solution anyway. Everyone points to the Giants and sure they had a great turnaround, but in a year or two those contracts are going to cripple them.

I'd much rather go the Falcon route and keep adding young players that get better as the season goes on.

I know I recently made a Giants comp (addressing dline/corner/SS like they did).  Of course, I was thinking more of drafting a corner and dlineman with early picks, moving Cravens to SS and picking up a higher priced dlineman (or two) in FA.  That 1 (or 2) dline FA shouldn't hurt our cap too much and should still allow us to 1) get a few cheaper FAs, 2) roll some more space to next year, and 3) re-sign our own both this year, and going forward.  

I am expecting a fair amount of D selections in our mid rounds, BPA in rounds 1 and 2 (50/50 split?) As well as some key pickups in FA. I am all in for a "fierce front 7". Give the man some talent and let him release the hounds. Prepared for 2 years though.

On 1/28/2017 at 4:26 PM, Warhead36 said:

I don't think the Giants will ever feel crippled by last offseason's signings.  They have $25 million in cap space, and are a playoff team, with a nice core of talent to build around.  And because they plugged so many holes last year, they don't need to be as aggressive this offseason: just some value signings and some contributors through the draft and they should be in great shape.  It is assumed the cap will continue to increase significantly in the next couple offseasons.

I think the Redskins face a similar situation this offseason: they have ample room in the coming years, and if they plug some holes via FA this year (NT, DE, ILB, S and WR are probably the biggest areas of need, and I don't expect them to sign a top FA in all those areas), then they won't have to be as aggressive in the next couple years.  They will be in a position that the Giants are currently in: going for several value signings and building mainly through the draft.

When you have $70 mil to work with, you don't have to be as frugal as we have had to be in the past.  Go get some talent.   

10 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

Maybe we could trade for him!!

Get out.

On 1/28/2017 at 4:26 PM, Warhead36 said:

Ideally, you've drafted all your starters. They age and their contract balloon and you've already drafted their replacement. 

If you **** your draft up and do things like trade away 4 very high picks, for a complete failure then you dont have those starters.

So, you either sign them in FA while drafting potential future replacements or you leave giant holes down the middle of your defense and get beaten by a division rival, while ride said FAs to the playoffs. 

I wonder when people around here will stop thinking of FA like we used it 20 years ago.

20 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Is it for sure that there will be an OLB coach? Manusky is not doing it himself together with Odalvie. 

The longer this drags out w/o a OLB coach hiring the more I think that Manusky is going to continue to handle the OLB coaching responsibilities. 

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

The longer this drags out w/o a OLB coach hiring the more I think that Manusky is going to continue to handle the OLB coaching responsibilities. 

Didnt we just hear that Vic Fangio is going to do just that(DC and coach the OLBs)?  I like what I saw out of Murphy so if he can do it, do it. Though hire a young disciple for OJT. 

11 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Didnt we just hear that Vic Fangio is going to do just that(DC and coach the OLBs)?  I like what I saw out of Murphy so if he can do it, do it. Though hire a young disciple for OJT. 

Don't know about Vic I'll have to Google that.  Agreed a young assistant OLB coach should be in place.  However, Tarver might still be in play as he was tied to Manusky in SF when he was DC there.  Interesting on no DB coach yet.  One thing I have is the Skins are being patient with Pleasants or whoever will take the DB coaching position.

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

Don't know about Vic I'll have to Google that.  Agreed a young assistant OLB coach should be in place.  However, Tarver might still be in play as he was tied to Manusky in SF when he was DC there.  Interesting on no DB coach yet.  One thing I have is the Skins are being patient with Pleasants or whoever will take the DB coaching position.

3 hours ago, RabidFan said:

Correct RabidFan.  I found the article that shows Vic will be coaching the OLBs so I am expecting Manusky will do the same with Skins.  A young coach to fill the position and learn would be wise. 

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

Correct RabidFan.  I found the article that shows Vic will be coaching the OLBs so I am expecting Manusky will do the same with Skins.  A young coach to fill the position and learn would be wise. 

I agree and I'm kind of surprised we'd go down that road. Gruden improved with a QB coach, Barry should have improved with an extra QB coach, etc.

No reason to skimp on position coaches.

Alex MarvezVerified account @alexmarvez 54m54 minutes ago

Follow Following Unfollow Blocked Unblock Pending Cancel
More

• Share via Direct Message
  • Embed Tweet
  • Mute @alexmarvez
  • Unmute @alexmarvez
  • Mute this conversation
  • Unmute this conversation
  • Block @alexmarvez
  • Unblock @alexmarvez
  • Report Tweet
  •  
  • More
  • New Moment

Source tells @sn_nfl that @49ers DBs coach Jeff Hafley and LBs coach Jason Tarver likely to stay under new HC Kyle Shanahan

After initially not liking the move to promote Manusky I've slowly warmed up to it. We need to give him the talent to work with to be successful, obviously. Looking at the teams he has coached, they were average ranked between top 15 - 25 statistically. Were any of his defenses really loaded with players though? He was the DC for the 49ers between 2007 - 2010. He had no Aldon Smith, and a rookie Navarro Bowman. In 2011 the 49ers improved their D by getting Carlos Rogers, Aldon Smith and a 2nd year Navarro Bowman.

Then he moved to be the DC for the Colts. A team that never seems to have talent on Defense. 

I wonder what he would have done if he stayed for that awesome 2011 49ers defense. I hope one day we get the talent they had. 

3 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

^^ That tweet generated a little excitement for me. 

What is Flether doing these days? He could be a good coach I think. In general players with limited size/athletic abilities compensade that with their mind and technique. Sounds like a good coach to me. 

Archived