Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Washington promotes Greg Manusky to DC, Hires Jim Tomsula as Dline Coach. Hires Torrian Gray as DB coach!

zCommander

Just now, SkinsTillIDie said:

Give me a break. Half those players were trash when they were playing for Manusky. Laron Landry? D'Qwell Jackson?

That's like someone saying our defense was flush with talent last year because we employed 4 career probowlers: Ryan Kerrigan, Josh Norman, Deangelo Hall, Donte Whitner.

I understand what you're saying, and that's true for a couple of names on that list, but the majority of the list were under 30 when he had them.

I read an article just now, couldn't link it because it was from the archives of a newspaper that Manusky grew up a Redskins fan.   Just to preempt the Barry comparisons.  Just going for the moment exclusively as to personality.   Yeah they are both energetic types.  Other than that, they sound different.  Manusky as has been described multiple times including by Trent Murphy a few minutes ago -- as a tough dude, no nonsense sergeant type.  He's self described as wild and crazy.   The knock on his personality is some players don't dig his style of getting on their case.  Seems like Redskins players though love the guy.  

Here's an article from back to his playing days here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1989/07/26/call-of-wild-comes-early-for-manusky/b5e17a16-6d5c-4995-a554-740f7b2b4e06/?utm_term=.e6e69ab50f3c

Known as an eccentric type, he was called "goofy" today by Gibbs. "Goofy? The cartoon character Goofy? I'm not that guy," Manusky said. "I guess I get pumped up to play. If it means getting up for a game, I'll be goofy. "Football, man, that's the best thing in life. To me, it is." At Colgate, he'd grow a beard and then shave half of it, leave half. "I guess that's goofy," he said. Ferocious football players such as he tend to find their way into fights. "I tell you, I haven't gotten in a fight in eight years. Man, I don't try to get in fights . . . My last one? Probably 11th grade. I think the guy beat me up. I was small." Too small even to get recruited by Penn State, which was his childhood dream. The irony is that one of the new Redskins he's competing with at middle linebacker is former Penn State star Don Graham, who tipped the 1987 pass that teammate Shane Conlan intercepted to save the national championship game against Miami. "Oh, I don't hold anything against Penn State," Manusky said. Signed as a free agent in 1988, Manusky -- in a rare rookie achievement -- was befriended last season by most of the cynical Redskins veterans. "Ah, he's a good guy," Grimm said. "He's fun, a nut.

He must have had enough good answers to 'what the hell happen in the last couple home games'?

He obviously was critical and offered his plan and the brass felt this was the direction we need to go. I'm go with this, frankly, we can only get better. Barry's approach to the Giants game single handedly lost the Skins the playoff spot. 

For you overreacting

There are 96 total coordinator/head coaching jobs in the NFL. That means it is harder to become a coordinator or head coach in the NFL than it is to be a US Senator. All the moreso, given how many more coaches are employed in this country than lawmakers.

Greg Manusky has been a coordinator 9 of the past 10 years, and has been hired for a 4th time. That puts him in rarefied territory.

Given that our two options were: hire a "retread" who's failed elsewhere, or an upstart who's never had success as a coordinator, Manusky is a fine hire.

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I understand what you're saying, and that's true for a couple of names on that list, but the majority of the list were under 30 when he had them.

That's not even true dude. Not Cory Redding, D'Qwell Jackson, Takeo Spikes, Walt Harris, Shaun Phillips, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Mike Adams, Justin Smith 2 out of 3 years. But he did get Laron Landry for his age 29 season, so there's that. Michael Lewis? Really?

9 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

This seems like a 'more of the same' type of hiring.  Continuity of scheme and approach is likely.  Kind of disturbing that the FO office (Or Gruden) isn't able to grow beyond always looking for alumni for the Tampa/San Francisco coaching ranks.  Sure, they tried interviewing a number of candidates -- but it seems like they already anticipating hiring Manusky.

It appears that the Skins FO has not yet been able to re-cast the Redskins franchise into a desirable team for upper-tier coaches to join.  No doubt, the questions swirling around Gruden's long term prospects gave many top-tier defensive coaches concerns about joining the franchise.

While continuity can be a good thing for players -- I'm not certain why the Skins FO sought to continue the Barry defense under one of his lieutenants.  It seems like doubling down on a hand with very long odds of paying off.

that said, I wish all the best to Manusky and hope he can remake the Barry playbook into something more effective.

Just out of curiosity, what do you base any of this on? What makes you think Manusky will run the Barry playbook? Why would you think he takes the same scheme and approach that got Barry fired? Is he that dumb? He worked under Barry for 2 years--he also worked under Wade Phillips for 3 years in San Diego, and Chuck Pagano for 4 years in Indianapolis. Of those three coaches, who do you think has a greater influence and would likely try and replicate--the 2 that were very successful or the one that failed miserably? If they were anticipating hiring Manusky, and were going to do so anyway, why wait for Bradley to sign on in LA? If we're always looking for Tampa/San Fransisco ranks (it seems, though now his has grown, hasn't it? It was "always Tampa" so now we're including SF.) Why even bother to interview Pettine, Bradley, or even attempt to line up interviews with Wilks and Phillips?

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you base any of this on? What makes you think Manusky will run the Barry playbook? Why would you think he takes the same scheme and approach that got Barry fired? Is he that dumb? He worked under Barry for 2 years--he also worked under Wade Phillips for 3 years in San Diego, and Chuck Pagano for 4 years in Indianapolis. 

I don't mean this as a dig at Barry but Manusky comes at this job with much more pedigree and experience than him.  It would be flat out odd if Manusky throws out his style and experience and reorients himself about Joe Barry.    I also get the vibe having read about both Barry and Manusky -- Manusky has the stronger personality out of the two.  

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

The optics really don't matter.  Results do.  I hope it works out.

And that in the end makes a huge difference. All we need is the D to be in middle somewhere and not in the bottom of the league.

Let's see what the Munster can do. :)

This is the only hire they could make. Our current defensive personnel doesn't exactly make an outsider salivate at the opportunity to coach them. 

Take into account that Jay's job is probably on the line this year as well. They had to hire from within. Nothing about this job is appealing, especially when you factor in it could very well turn into a one year stint. 

I'm going to throw out a contrarian theory out there.

Greg Manusky was actually the Redskins' first choice for Defensive Coordinator. That's why they didn't let him go when they darn near let everyone else go. Now, the reason they took so long is because they knew they had them and they wanted to see if anyone else would completely blow them away. No one did. Not Pettine, Bradley, Thurman, or anyone else they interviewed. So, they stuck with their first choice and so got the man they thought they wanted the whole time. 

In essence, no other candidate out there was good enough to beat Greg Manusky or change Jay and Scott's mind. We got out our A choice.

26 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

That's not even true dude. Not Cory Redding, D'Qwell Jackson, Takeo Spikes, Walt Harris, Shaun Phillips, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Mike Adams, Justin Smith 2 out of 3 years. But he did get Laron Landry for his age 29 season, so there's that. Michael Lewis? Really?

You're right.  I made that statement based on memory, which isn't what it used to be :).  It looks like guys like Justin Smith and Shaun Phillips had their best seasons right around 30 though, so that might have been affecting my memory. 

Willing to give the guy a chance but am underwhelmed with the announcement. This reeks of the way gruden and Barry were hired. Plenty of outside influences available, buy you know the "search" wasn't for the most qualified, and you knew one the names were announced as interviewed that they'd be the hires no matter who else came trotting through the doors after. 

Unfortunately, may never know if Manusky was there main choice.  History shows that if we had wanted Gus Bradley enough we would have found a way to hire him.

I do think that the team wanted to interview Steve Wilks and Mike Vrabel and on the side Romeo Crennel.  Wilks and Vrabel are impressive and if they had good interviews maybe they would have grabbed one of them.  But, their teams saw their value and kept them.  I don't know why Crennel would leave and come here in what is a lateral move.  So Manusky could simply have been backup or of the people they actually interviewed none of them were better then what we had in house.

54 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

For you overreacting

There are 96 total coordinator/head coaching jobs in the NFL. That means it is harder to become a coordinator or head coach in the NFL than it is to be a US Senator. All the moreso, given how many more coaches are employed in this country than lawmakers.

Greg Manusky has been a coordinator 9 of the past 10 years, and has been hired for a 4th time. That puts him in rarefied territory.

Given that our two options were: hire a "retread" who's failed elsewhere, or an upstart who's never had success as a coordinator, Manusky is a fine hire.

Not sure what your getting at.... Manusky is not an upstart since he has been a DC before. With out much success. Unless you call moving from second to last place in the league to 5 from last place a success? We were 29th in the league and Manusky averaged 24th or 25th in the league. 

I'd have rather went with Pettine who averaged top 10 or better in the league everywhere he went. But..... I guess we gotta take what we can get. Especially since it seems the team is not hard pressed to give Gruden a longer contract as of yet. I don't know why it was so hard to give him another 2 years to make it 4 and get one of the better DC's? but oh well. 

Im a little torn on this one.  On one hand, outside of the clear best option in Pettine, he was the best, and I think a better one than Bradley.  On the other, if we want to become the next Patriots, we do that by only hiring the best of the best, not middling coaches.  In the end, I hope he puts up a top 10 defense, and I think he will be a better coach than either Barry, or Haslett(and I hated their hires from the start), but I suspect it will be a middle of the road defense.

I think the most important question is, can we get top position coaches in here.  If we do that, I will be a bit more optimistic.  If we can bring in the likes of Tomsula, I think we will be in a better place.

44 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Well that's ..... underwhelming. 

But the HC knows how important this year is to his future here and if he thinks he's the right man to help him in that then fair play and good luck to him. 

Hail. 

Well, the only names put out there that would have made me look like that guy in your sig.  Wilks or Vrabel.

Hard to get excited about a promotion from within in this case.

He was part of the problem this year. Promoting him to DC says he has the answers to our problems. Where were his solutions this year? He kept them to himself? Couldn't inspire Barry to follow his lead?

My fingers are crossed Jay got it right this time.

Archived