Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

Is this the twilight zone?

SERIOUSLY

What happened to this organization?  FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS I THOUGHT WE WERE NORMAL AGAIN JUST A FEW WEEKS AGO.

What a nightmare, we lost our GM, lost our 2 starting wrs, we are going to lose our franchise QB, and now we lose our dignity.  You cant help but truly wonder if we are cursed... Im so friggin sad....

12 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Does this change things for Kirk's team?

What?!?!  Mayock is hands down the best evaluator that I've seen.  A hundred times better than Kiper.  That would be a good move for the fans but I'm not sure that it would sway Kirk. 

2 hours ago, SlkyCaramel said:

LOL, nobody told him that the 49ers signed Brian Hoyer, Matt Barley and are reportedly planning to draft a QB? Good luck with that Kirk. 

But the Redskins need to trade him ASAP.

I could see two scenarios why the 49ers signed two QB's:

1.) The price tag in trade and salary are too high. 

2.) They can potentially wait another year to see if Kurt becomes a FA.

The second one seems unlikely because the league has such a win now mentality  (why throw away a year in hopes of signing a player?). 

Quite possibly the only person who has the leverage to get Allen fired, is Kirk Cousins.  If its true what he did, and if it works, he will forever hold a special place in my heart.

I can imagine Snyder is fuming, but the big question wont even be what it SHOULD be, which is, do you love this franchise, or Bruce Allen more?  No, it will be, do you love money more?  And I do genuinely think that's the only thing Snyder would listen to.

28 minutes ago, onedrop said:

well..........at least you admit it...............beats complete bull**** at least

Hey, its just an opinion. If Kirk was so into playing for a solid, well run franchise he wouldn't be trying to run to SF. Jed York is easily as bad as Dan Snyder. 4 coaches in 4 years, ran Harbaugh out of town after his success, made a nasty swipe at McCloughan himself ("He's like McCloughan without the drinking problem"), and best of all, has John Lynch as his new GM. Matt Millen anyone? I know it looks new and shiny to most people because he just got himself a new regime, but if I were a Frisco fan I'd have some serious doubts as to the direction of that team. That's not even mentioning the dysfunction of having Shanny senior in juniors ear. They may not be RGIII and RGII, but they ain't exactly Belichik  and jr. either.

I brought this up either ten years ago or perhaps last week.

I don't see any reason for Kirk to sign a contract this year unless it's somewhere north of $80 million in guaranteed money.

The main reason players hate the franchise tag is that it hurts their chances for long-term security. However, in this instance, it's given Kirk $50 million in long-term security. He can sit on that $50 million and then go into a totally free market as literally the only healthy, borderline all pro QB in history to enter free agency in his prime.

46 minutes ago, markshark84 said:

Not when Cousins knows that Scot is the only guy capable of putting a decently talented team on the field.  This is Cousins' career, not church.  Cousins is no fool --- he knows that to be successful in this league you have to surround yourself with talent.  Dumb & Dumber 2.0 don't exactly fit that description.....

This more likely looks loyalty to me than anything else.

Kirk is a smart guy, and know that 2 guys went up for him:

- Jay

- Scot

Now, if the guy clearly puts on the table the firing of Bruce Allen to sign a LTD, that will be a Premiere. Especially if he succeeds. Talk about balls, guts, whatever you call it. Talk about leadership skills. Guy is clearly stepping up to defend his GM. Something you never see in Pro Sports.

If true, it's a freaking classy move by him. And I'm really starting to wonder where Gruden stands in all of this. Guy seems quiet, but by all accounts he was going along well with Scot as they used to think alike, and he will most probably step up with his QB here.

41 minutes ago, SlkyCaramel said:

LOL that's not the only way that Bruce survives.  He isn't going anywhere regardless 

He should be cautious, the little man will can him quickly if things go south. Like in firing your GM, losing your QB and your HC opting out in less than 2 months... Would be tough to swallow...

1 hour ago, markshark84 said:

Yeah, not so much.

SF has what appears to be an actual GM, one of the best offensive minds in the game, both signed to 6 years deals making it difficult to fire them for at least 3, and cap room.

Meanwhile, we just fired the first competent GM we've had in 30 years within weeks of the draft, a GM that supported Cousins which ownership chose to drag his name through the mud by "leaking" information to the media that he had relapsed, not re-signing any of our key free agents gutting our 8-7-1 roster of talent and instead signing Davis to an above-market deal and wildly overpaying for a gloried backup 4-3 DT with 3 career sacks on a horrible defense to a $25M deal, have the worst owner in all of sports, and an ever-growing depleted fanbase.

The redskins are what you would call a complete and utter dumpster fire without access to water or a fire extinguisher.  At least SF has a GM and vision.  And I'm sorry to say, but York is a BETTER owner..... literally every owner is.

Wait, who is this actual GM?

John Lynch is who is listed.
What has he actually done in any capacity of an NFL front office?

If you mean Martin Mayhew, he's a front office pro personnel guy, and frankly, his track record in Detroit is OK, i guess, but when you pick so high so long eventually you might win a playoff game. ..  except they haven't. (His presence does lend at least some NFL executive experience to the office.)
He had some good picks, and a bunch that are out of the league, and two first rounders that didn't stick around.. Suh and Fairley. Free agent acquisitions.. again, hasn't really translated to sustained success. In the entire period of his tenure, they were inconsistent to say the least.

So, I don't see the actual GM thing. Especially Lynch, who has no experience in an NFL front office at all, 

Kyle is a great offensive mind, and he hasn't got much to work with. We've seen great offensive minds and great defensive minds get bowled over by the ineptitude of their first coaching job, and some never make it back out of the coordinator/position ranks again.c Kyle might make it,, he might not.  

As far as their deals go, "difficult to fire" doesn't seem to be a concern to this owner, since he ran off Jim Harbaugh and dropped Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly after a single season each despite being stuck on the hook for millions in salary. He has not shown much patience, and the fanbase out there have shown no patience with him. Neither has their media.. a few months ago a reporter inferred he should step down, and he told the guy the owner doesn't fire the owner.

the "Dumpster Fire" at the moment in Washington seems to be all front office based, and between 2 people. Lots of conjecture about lots of things. It ain't good, but i don't see it as totally devastating either. We still signed targeted free agents in positions of need. weren't forced to pick through garbage. Right now, i say it is a lot more media driven hysteria over a bit of bad business, but I don't think it is anywhere near the catastrophe they scream it is.

Coaching staff? Seems firm. Gruden extended, new defensive guys, so probable upgrade in how they play (Up is about the only direction it can go.)
Now, if Kirk gets away, then i say it's a full on dumpster fire. If Kirk gets away, I still don't think it means much for SF (assuming that is where he goes.) but it is an utter disaster for us.

The Redskins lost Jackson and Garcon, which is rough, but not unable to be overcome, especially given the TEs and other receivers, andif Kirk stays the QB with an OL that gives him the time he needs to throw.
They lost Baker, who for the life of me, i do not understand why people freak out about this. (Somehow a DT who's defense gives up 7 or 8 yards per rush up the middle is something we need to keep. I don't get it.)

The Redskins are making moves to shore up the defense, and have ten picks in the upcoming draft.

The 49ers are doing what the redskins used to do, trying to buy contention in free agency. In the first day, they bought every skill position on the offense, except halfback. They bought 3 WRs, 2 quarterbacks, our old TE Logan Paulsen, and a fullback.  (They have 3 guys from our old teams, and the only  one anyone should consider signing on day one might be Garcon. Aldrick Robnson on day one? Logan Paulsen? I get they know Kyle, but they weren't very good for him.) Every offensive skill position, on day one.

They brought back their best receiver from a year ago; Jeremy Kerley, who no matter what is never going to even sniff the ass of a second tier reciever in the NFL.

Their offensive line was nearly dead last in sacks allowed, their defense was the worst in the NFL.

You are what you are, and the 49ers are a 2-14 football team, and looked every bit of it.

So far Lynch and Kyle are strolling through the supermarket on a buying spree. 

How's that usually worked out, especially given the names involved?

Frisco is a mess. You could argue they may be trying to clean it up, but it remains to be seen if anyone there actually can, given so many of their decision makers are inexperienced.

~Bang

10 minutes ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

Breaking news!

"Redskins fire Bruce Allen bring in Matthew McConaughey for talks."

Have a hard time believing Mayock would risk his rep coming here.

"Thing I like about draftees: I get older but they stay the same age!"

5 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Hey, its just an opinion. If Kirk was so into playing for a solid, well run franchise he wouldn't be trying to run to SF. Jed York is easily as bad as Dan Snyder. 4 coaches in 4 years, ran Harbaugh out of town after his success, made a nasty swipe at McCloughan himself ("He's like McCloughan without the drinking problem"), and best of all, has John Lynch as his new GM. Matt Millen anyone? I know it looks new and shiny to most people because he just got himself a new regime, but if I were a Frisco fan I'd have some serious doubts as to the direction of that team. That's not even mentioning the dysfunction of having Shanny senior in juniors ear. They may not be RGIII and RGII, but they ain't exactly Belichik  and jr. either.

not disputing you here, my point was the motivator could be other than just money.

no fan bias, equal money, all things considered, id choose SF over this embarrassment in a hot second......and probably weep with relief.

i find no fault in anyone for not wanting to work for this organization company.

22 minutes ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

What's Mayocks opinion of cousins I wonder. Can't believe he would risk his rep coming here.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/mike-mayock-2016-i-do-believe-kirk-cousins-quarterback-redskins-future

"I do believe Kirk Cousins is the quarterback of the Redskins for the future and I think a lot of that is philosophically, he aligns perfectly with what Jay Gruden wants to do. So yeah I do believe he’s the guy."

Mayock's comments came on a conference call with reporters prior to the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine. At that time, remember, there was some question if Cousins could repeat his stellar 2015 performance. Eventually, those questions led Cousins to play the 2016 season on the franchise tag, as he and the Redskins were unable to get a long-term deal done. 

A year later, Cousins is again signed to a franchise tag, this time for $24 million and questions remain if the team and the quarterback can get a multi-year deal done. Cousins more than proved himself in 2016, throwing for nearly 5,000 yards and almost getting the Redskins in the playoffs for a second straight season. 

Mayock's comments come under brighter lights now as reports of his candidacy for the Redskins vacant general manager job circulate.

They keep talking up Colt behind closed doors. I saw that show a few years ago. It wasn't a hit.

This town needs an enema...

...Reduce Allen's strength, bring in a solid GM, replace Allen later (as required).

Stadium be damned. Team first, then everything else will fall in line. It is THE NATIONS CAPITAL. We can recover, we have a ton of resources and pull. Get it right Dan, for once in your ****ing life.

Again? We are the circus clowns of the NFL. The Redskins fans are extremely tired of this ****. Get it right or go back to the business that you know Dan. Or do you prefer Mr. Snyder? I dont care. I will call you Moses if you can pull us out of here. But if you can not? Remember your history. You are causing a holocaust for the very team that "you love". 

Loyal fan since your time Dan...we are the same age, we grew up in the same schools and neighborhoods. We met and talked in Synagogue, I know and have seen your passion, eye to eye. Get it ****ing straight or admit your failure and move on to something else. You have all you need. Make a difference in this world! You have the resources!

JUST DO IT!

Archived