Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

Maybe I am punch drunk from the last few days of "As the Skins Turn" but at this point I'd deal Cousins for some picks even if it wasn't a 1st rounder. Deep draft this year. Freeing up the cap space is worth it to me. Maybe even offering him to the Jets for one of their DL (Richardson).

Kirk just wants to get paid. That is the only truth out there. I suspect there will be a new narrative added to the story every day until they either trade him, sign him, or 07/15 arrives. I highly doubt Kirk is so over the moon to go to SF and is so in love with Kyle that he wouldn't take a check from anyone else. He's smarter than that.

3 minutes ago, Redskin21502 said:

Maybe I am punch drunk from the last few days of "As the Skins Turn" but at this point I'd deal Cousins for some picks even if it wasn't a 1st rounder. Deep draft this year. Freeing up the cap space is worth it to me. Maybe even offering him to the Jets for one of their DL (Richardson).

Honestly, I would trade him too. The more I think about this and how deep the 2018 draft class is for QB's, I would trade him. 

The Jets and Browns are both options. I guess the Texans too. The Browns have a ton of picks to give up. 

5 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/report-kirk-cousins-says-he-will-play-49ers-whether-year-or-next

Spoke to source close to #Redskins QB Kirk Cousins last night. Per Cousins: "I'm going to be a 49er" in 2017 OR 2018.
We shall see...#49ers

— Eric Galko (@OptimumScouting) March 10, 2017

The Galko tweet came a littler under an hour before the one from Cousin's agent about misinformation being worse than no information.  I don't think it is too much of a leap to think that McCartney was responding to the bull**** Galko was spewing.

1 minute ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

The Galko tweet came a littler under an hour before the one from Cousin's agent about misinformation being worse than no information.  I don't think it is too much of a leap to think that McCartney was responding to the bull**** Galko was spewing.

My guess is that is exactly what McCartney was doing.

8 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/report-kirk-cousins-says-he-will-play-49ers-whether-year-or-next

Spoke to source close to #Redskins QB Kirk Cousins last night. Per Cousins: "I'm going to be a 49er" in 2017 OR 2018.
We shall see...#49ers

— Eric Galko (@OptimumScouting) March 10, 2017

LOL, nobody told him that the 49ers signed Brian Hoyer, Matt Barley and are reportedly planning to draft a QB? Good luck with that Kirk. 

But the Redskins need to trade him ASAP.

9 minutes ago, Redskin21502 said:

What is Bruce going to do with all the cap space?  He prides himself on being cheap.  So far he's indicated that he likes shopping at the Wallmart aisle in FA.  Times have changed.  It's the Eagles and Giants who go for the marquee players even though they have much less cap space than us.   If we don't spend on Kirk, I bet a good chunk of that money isn't even spent, and is just carry on cap money like last year.

I don't see how it makes sense for Kirk to do anything but play this year for $24 million and then hit the open market as an unrestricted free agent in the middle of his prime with several good years behind it. Christ, Brady is 40, Brees is 38, and Roethlisberger is openly talking retirement. Who knows what the market will be next year?

7 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Kirk just wants to get paid. That is the only truth out there. I suspect there will be a new narrative added to the story every day until they either trade him, sign him, or 07/15 arrives. I highly doubt Kirk is so over the moon to go to SF and is so in love with Kyle that he wouldn't take a check from anyone else. He's smarter than that.

OR, maybe the guy wants to play for a bonafide professional organization while his best years are ahead of him. Isn't that a possibility? Or you've already dictated the one and only truth to us and nothing else matters?

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What is Bruce going to do with all the cap space?  He prides himself on being cheap.  So far he's indicated that he likes shopping at the Wallmart aisle in FA.  Times have changed.  It's the Eagles and Giants who go for the marquee players even though they have much less cap space than us.   If we don't spend on Kirk, I bet a good chunk of that money isn't even spent, and is just carry on cap money like last year.

I'm not on top of this stuff as I used to be: Now that Kirk has signed and counts $24 million against the cap, what is the Skins' cap space situation? I have to think part of the problem has been not knowing what Kirk's number is going to be.

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm not on top of this stuff as I used to be: Now that Kirk has signed and counts $24 million against the cap, what is the Skins' cap space situation? I have to think part of the problem has been not knowing what Kirk's number is going to be.

Probably at 20-25 mil left in space

3 minutes ago, onedrop said:

OR, maybe the guy wants to play for a bonafide professional organization while his best years are ahead of him. Isn't that a possibility? Or you've already dictated the one and only truth to us and nothing else matters?

If you want to call the 49ers as run by Jed York a bonafide professional organization go right ahead.  I am not sure scooping an ex player with no personnel experience out of the broadcast booth and making him your GM is the best idea but it worked for the Lions....oh wait.

5 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't see how it makes sense for Kirk to do anything but play this year for $24 million and then hit the open market as an unrestricted free agent in the middle of his prime with several good years behind it. Christ, Brady is 40, Brees is 38, and Roethlisberger is openly talking retirement. Who knows what the market will be next year?

I agree. If they can't strike a LTD after 2 offseasons why does anyone think they will in the 3rd? Even if KC has a year not like the past 2 he isn't all of a sudden going to take what the Skins offer knowing he would get more on the market or with another tag. It's no coincidence that QBs aren't franchised consecutively like KC has been. Either one or both sides don't want to get married. I've talked myself into firmly being in the "Trade KC Camp". 

6 minutes ago, Redskin21502 said:

I agree. If they can't strike a LTD after 2 offseasons why does anyone think they will in the 3rd? Even if KC has a year not like the past 2 he isn't all of a sudden going to take what the Skins offer knowing he would get more on the market or with another tag. It's no coincidence that QBs aren't franchised consecutively like KC has been. Either one or both sides don't want to get married. I've talked myself into firmly being in the "Trade KC Camp". 

Yeah, I'm where you are. 

I also don't get why people are acting like the 49ers are our only option here. I get it, that might be where Kirk wants to play but there are the Browns, Texans and Jets who all need a QB and a team like the Texans FIRMLY believe that they are only a competent QB away from a championship. 

1 minute ago, SlkyCaramel said:

Yeah, I'm where you are. 

I also don't get why people are acting like the 49ers are our only option here. I get it, that might be where Kirk wants to play but there are the Browns, Texans and Jets who all need a QB and a team like the Texans FIRMLY believe that they are only a competent QB away from a championship. 

Kirk has indicated he would only sign a LTD with two teams: Redskins and Falcons.  

22 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Agreed. 

I wonder how high over market the Redskins would have to go to convince him to sign a long-term deal?

I was firmly in the no trade, get a LTD done camp, but I am getting tired of this crap from both sides.  If Kirk absolutely does not want to be here, ship him out to the highest bidder and let them deal with him.  Not like the Browns can't tag him next year, and the year after that......

That'd be funny

27 minutes ago, onedrop said:

I don't think San Francisco qualifies for a bonafide organization, assuming 'bonafide' means 'stable', 'progressing', 'winning'. or any combo similar.

San Francisco is a mess. Their owner clearly doesn't know what he's doing, he's run two coaches off in his first 3 years as owner (and owes both of them millions), 3rd head coach in 3 years,,and one could argue Kyle is just the latest flavor of the month. ( I like Kyle, but i don't know if anone can succeed there right now. Patience is not showing to be a strength of the owner.)

He's hired a green GM with zero experience beyond having played football and worked in the booth.

They are currently trying to buy their way to respectability in one offseason, and well, who better to know how that works than us?. 

Sure, they've given Kyle a long contract, but the chances he makes it to the end rest on impatience of ownership and fans. Lose too much and he won't make it, and based on their roster, their previous recent performances.. and losing is the most likely outcome there for a while.

Other than the McCloughan debacle, which really, who knows who's at fault for what in this..   the Redskins are coming off back to back winning season, have extended the coach and provided they make Cousins happy, is a much more stable environment.

I don't care about McCloughan drama, it does not really affect this. It'd be nice to have his input on scouting, but truly, if there's real problems there, than it does not help us.

given the two situations, which one realistically looks like a better place to try to win?

~Bang

8 minutes ago, SlkyCaramel said:

Yeah, I'm where you are. 

Because the Skins can't trade Kirk without Kirk agreeing to a long-term contract with the team they trade him to.

I honestly don't know why he and the Texans aren't openly sniffing each other's butts to be honest. It would make all kinds of sense. But if he doesn't want to sign a long-term deal, the Texans would just put themselves in the same place the Skins are.

For the record, I would be going hard for that #2 pick they just got from the Browns.

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Because the Skins can't trade Kirk without Kirk agreeing to a long-term contract with the team they trade him to.

I honestly don't know why he and the Texans aren't openly sniffing each other's butts to be honest. It would make all kinds of sense. But if he doesn't want to sign a long-term deal, the Texans would just put themselves in the same place the Skins are.

For the record, I would be going hard for that #2 pick they just got from the Browns.

What #2 pick did Houston get from Cleveland?

Archived