Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

Bram Weinstein on his 980AM show had former agent Joel Corry on as a guest just a bit ago.  Joel suggested that the Skins should be calling the Browns right now.  He had an interesting proposal too.  He threw out comparisons for trade value like Bradford last year (he called that the floor of a 1 and a 4), and Jared Allen who was in a similar situation a few years ago.  (I can't recall what picks he said.)  But he took it a step further and said that in addition to picks, he'd investigate taking Osweiler off their hands IF they converted say $10M of his salary to a bonus before the trade, thus putting that amount on their cap.  So the trade would be picks (didn't say what rounds) and Osweiler for $6M.  He's an interesting guy to listen to.

As for Grant Paulsen dismissing Chick's tweet, he said that on the air too when Brian McNally referenced it.  But Chick isn't the first one with a message that somehow related to Kirk not wanting to be in DC.  So you have to think it's not impossible that he's right.

2 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

And if it is true then Kirk is a diva just like the front office is. They all deserve each other in that case.

He'd also be an idiot because he'd be asking to go to a system he was not good in, to a team rebuilding with an inexperienced and possibly unqualified GM, a truly bad owner, and that rebuild would be hampered by the amount of picks they'd have to give up to get him as well as the salary they'd give him. 

Or he could stay here and thrive in this offense which already has a good OL and playmakers catching the ball, has a head coach that supports him and has a good offense system for him, and the team is already investing in the defense so far this offseason.

2 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

But he took it a step further and said that in addition to picks, he'd investigate taking Osweiler off their hands IF they converted say $10M of his salary to a bonus before the trade, thus putting that amount on their cap.  So the trade would be picks (didn't say what rounds) and Osweiler for $6M.

I'd rather start Colt McCoy.

Kirk is getting too much of a pass here IMO. The leaks from his camp are just as bad. Do not like the honest abe act that some defend him with. DIVAS demand to be traded. Professionals deal with the situation they are dealt with and proceed without media leaks. So what is true? Who the hell knows anymore.

Just now, Jumbo said:

I'd suggest there are few people intelligent people who also know the nfl that would look at the last 10-15 years and not see the 49ers as a more stable (and factually more winning) franchise even with the last 4 years of issues and being in the middle of another makeover.

Yet when I posted before free agency started that there was a clear shifting of thinking at play with the 49ers being an attractive spot today and I was laughed off the forum for saying that.  And today we know this is right, some thoughts are ahead of the times, we are the place no one wants to be now not them. 

And today even people thinking we couldn't have signed our lost guys this year, or that Bruce isn't ruining us, or that other GMs would love to come here after we all know that he lied saying full control to the last guy and never gave that, or that Pryor is still a possible player for us.

Need to accept that we don't know how deep the hurt will be for us long term keeping Bruce in power and move on. Thank you Kirk for making that public because your not the only one feeling that way now. Bruce has to go and I don't understand how Snyder who's seen all the losses in his time believes this was the right approach this year unless he's broke and money strapped to make it different

As far as the Browns, Kirk, and Garoppolo are concerned:

Appearing on 97.1 in Columbus, Ohio, ESPN's Adam Schefter said the Browns won't be acquiring Jimmy Garopppolo no matter what they offer the Patriots.

Schefter added it's not about the Browns' offer; it simply sounds like the Patriots intend to hold onto their promising backup. The Browns have been stockpiling draft picks, potentially as a way to seduce the Patriots into giving them Garoppolo, but it apparently isn't going to work. Another team that was interested in Garoppolo, the Bears, have already moved onto Mike Glennon as their starter. The Browns will need to explore other avenues in their quest for a franchise passer.

Can we all finally agree Kirk is gone? Either be it through a trade this year or FA in 2018. Is anyone really holding out hope that Kirk will sign a LTD? Does anyone believe with how cheap Allen is he would offer him $24 million a year?

I applaud Kirk because if I were in the same situation? I would also tell them to go get ****ed

At least he has some morales and integrity... unlike others at Ashburning

**** Ashburn they get what they deserve. If i were Kirk? Sure, i will sign for 24M x 5? 100% guaranteed.

9 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

He'd also be an idiot because he'd be asking to go to a system he was not good in, to a team rebuilding with an inexperienced and possibly unqualified GM, a truly bad owner, and that rebuild would be hampered by the amount of picks they'd have to give up to get him as well as the salary they'd give him. 

Or he could stay here and thrive in this offense which already has a good OL and playmakers catching the ball, has a head coach that supports him and has a good offense system for him, and the team is already investing in the defense so far this offseason.

I find it ironic you used the that as an argument not to go somewhere, when that is exactly what we have here, except we don't actually even have a GM at the moment. And, he lost 2 of his playmakers in FA already. Not a very convincing argument.

1 minute ago, Pick6 said:

Can we all finally agree Kirk is gone? Either be it through a trade this year or FA in 2018. Is anyone really holding out hope that Kirk will sign a LTD? Does anyone believe with how cheap Allen is he would offer him $24 million a year?

Been saying for months this and it's never been truer then today 

Redskins have one move here to make. Make the best damn offer we got and give it to Kirk. If he signs great if he refuses we must trade him

Negotation time is over. One last offer make it the best we got and let the chips fall where they may.

should have been done this way from the beginning and kept quiet so his market for trade was higher. Today it's almost as low as it could go. Finish this

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

I find it ironic you used the that as an argument not to go somewhere, when that is exactly what we have here, except we don't actually even have a GM at the moment. And, he last 2 of his playmakers in FA already. Not a very convincing argument.

It's not ironic, he'd be making a lateral move in that regard, and in the other aspects I mentioned it would be a worse move. But honestly Allen and Co. weren't too bad drafting before. Kirk would still have Reed, Crowder, Chris Thompson, and Doctson hopefully steps up. He'd have Pierre in SF who demanded a trade earlier this season when Cousins was struggling. Yippee

23 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I'd suggest there are few intelligent people who also know the nfl that would look at the last 15 years and not see the 49ers as a more stable (and factually more winning) franchise even with the last 4-5 years of issues (and still 6 playoff games during it) and being in the middle of another (promising, I'd say) makeover.

This was discussed yesterday and the 49ers outside of the Jim Harbaugh years have been just as suck as the Skins the last 15 years. However if you are looking at both franchises overall history then yes there is no doubt the 49ers are more stable and have had more success.

And also to the quote of San Fran being more successful take a look at it since 2003. 49ers had 97 wins to the Skins 92 wins. So a whopping 5 better due to an awesome head coach. In fact if they did not have Harbaugh fall into their lap they would be way way worse off record wise than us. So yes dreaming of San Fran from Kirks camp could be considered just as dumb of a move as staying here haha.

8 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

It's not ironic, he'd be making a lateral move in that regard, and in the other aspects I mentioned it would be a worse move. But honestly Allen and Co. weren't too bad drafting before. Kirk would still have Reed, Crowder, Chris Thompson, and Doctson hopefully steps up. He'd have Pierre in SF who demanded a trade earlier this season when Cousins was struggling. Yippee

Oh. it's ironic alright. You first said how terrible those things are, because it was the 49ers. Now, it's a lateral move because I pointed out the Redskins have those issues. Which is it? And Kirk would be fine in that system, and he knows it. The 49ers situation has all kinds of unknowns to it, while Kirk is very familiar with the disfunction here. I'm not sure if "possible cluster****" is worse than "definite cluster****".

8 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Kirk is getting too much of a pass here IMO. The leaks from his camp are just as bad. Do not like the honest abe act that some defend him with. DIVAS demand to be traded. Professionals deal with the situation they are dealt with and proceed without media leaks. So what is true? Who the hell knows anymore.

Anything being leaked by Kirk's side is being leaked by Kirk's agent, and Kirk would be wise to sit back and let the man do his job. This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity for any agent. He owes it to his client, to his other clients, and to future clients to get the absolute maximum he can right now. And right now, that's probably sitting somewhere north of $100 million guaranteed over 3 years AND the ability to choose one's destination. Kirk Cousins has Lebron James' level power right now. Frankly, I think he has an ethical obligation to exercise it.

Imagine signing Kirk Cousins as client when he was coming out of college and thinking, "Someday, this kid is going to make me $5 million in commissions....."

I think the only way to make an offer that Kirk would accept would be to make this a very public negotiation.  Offer to make Kirk the highest paid player in the NFL.  Lots of guarantees.  The offer has to be at least 5 years, 7 would be even better.  It has to be an offer that "he can't refuse".  Send out a press release at the same time the offer is made to Kirk.  Make Kirk say that he doesn't want to play for this organization at any price.  

If we do a trade with the Browns, there is no way the #1 pick is involved in a deal. The #12 pick from Philly and one of the 2nd round picks would hopefully get this done. You would then have to find a way to bring Deshaun Watson in or swing a trade for McCarron

Well, this does change things if true.  As others have said, you either trade him now or lose him next year to FA. 

Source: Kirk Cousins will not negotiate long-term deal while Bruce Allen is Redskins team president

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/source-kirk-cousins-will-not-negotiate-long-term-deal-while-bruce-allen-redskins?utm_content=buffer92be7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Archived