Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per JLC on Twitter, Gruden getting rid of ENTIRE defensive staff

Alaskins

6 minutes ago, justice98 said:

So what's the deal with the strength guy?  How'do he get wrapped up in this bloodletting?  Is that technically a defensive position, or are there offensive and defensive strength coaches?

Did you not see our guys get dragged by RB's this year?

In my opinion, I'd want to hire from within if we had a successful defense. Like if McVay leaves, I would be in favor of promoting from within. But on defense, I don't have much to go off to keep Manusky. Maybe he's great, but he doesn't have a history of that. And I'd rather get an assistant from a top defense who looks like he's a smart guy or a known commodity. This is a coordinator that will probably determine if we're in first or 3rd place next year so I hope we make a good hire.

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

So what's the deal with the strength guy?  How'do he get wrapped up in this bloodletting?  Is that technically a defensive position, or are there offensive and defensive strength coaches?

LOL good point....  maybe he was good buddies with Barry; had lunch with all the D coaches. The more the gone the better perhaps, that mole from the Shanny days may still be lingering. 

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Really? You mean 4 days after the season ended, we still have.....THE SAME BAD PLAYERS? Of course the talent is still going to be bad ? Free agency and the draft haven't happened yet! One step at a time :)

Yeah... This time of the year is always about getting the right coaches in the building. Talent eval and acquisition comes afterwards

3 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Is that why we've been taking out seats? 

Planned expansion of the sideline bench area to fit in both their lard arses

Hail. 

And don't forget, the requisite oversized industrial grade sideline bathrooms they may need

18 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I think Jay did the right thing. Coaches Suck 1, Lack of Talent 0

Oh, please. You'll trash the new coaches if they're given this same group just the same. Like always. Whoever is brought in here will be getting an influx of talent and, if not, will suffer the same fate.

The best thing about this offseason won't be the new defensive staff. It'll be the personnel acquisitions.   

Lack of talent = 394328492875984758974598714895 examples. 

Coaches Suck = Genius armchair QBs 90% of the time who don't know ****.  

It's really important to have the new d-coordinator involved in the upcoming personnel decisions.  Hard to know what we have in a lot of guys with Barry.  Let the new guy watch film and see what he feels he can work with and what's needed.  

34 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

I won't quote you on twitter, your presence is too strong, like trying to use the force on Darth Vader, lol. 

Pfah! You got the followers, so go for it! I never mind pub! My twitter acct. is mostly for my podcast, so i can't really just stick to Redskins.. i tend to lose followers if i don't spread the hate around.

My favorite is when i make fun of a team and one of their PR bots picks it up and retweets it all over their fanbase
I had a Texans cheerleaders who HAD to be a bot,, 'she' just retweeted anything with #Texans.. i had "her' retweeting rumors that JJ Watt was a crossdresser and all sorts of **** til somebody pulled the plug on it.

~Bang

18 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I mean....

Does it really matter who's call it is?  Can we not worry about if this was a GMSM move/Gruden move/Dan move?

Dude's gone, let's be happy.

Well, I agree overall... but it is important for a successful organizational hierarchy that the Head Coach is responsible for his staff. Scot has said as much.

That being said, nothing wrong if they came together amidst disagreement but then both agreed in the end to go that direction. I just don't want it to come out later that Jay was essentially forced. It's not even about it being right or wrong, but it could lead to other problems and distrust.   

But, yeah, who cares right now and it's time to be excited about possibly improving. At the very least, it'll be fun discussing a new coordinator where there's some hope versus the exhaustion that came with any Barry discussions. That'll quickly change here if the personnel upgrades we're likely going to go hard attempting this offseason don't pan out. Back to the "coaches suck" after every game silliness. 

5 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Looking at Manusky's defenses it seems that in SD he wasn't aggressive at all and that was frustrating to fans and the media. I don't know how legit this is though since it was under Norv who has a history of not having aggressive defenses.

I read that as well, and it was brought up that it was a trend under Norv. Indy and San Fran seemed to be different though. That said, he seems to be a 3-4 guy, which I'd rather not deal with.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Name to watch for the #Redskins vacant DC opening: #Panthers secondary coach Steve Wilks… who may know a certain star CB from a former team

This is the kind of stuff I like to hear.  Let Scot use that knowledge he has to find the next great DC.  Not retreads.  I want the next great coach, not the last one. 

http://www.colts.com/team/coaches/Greg-Manusky/6dd78169-300c-4a8f-a414-6e50fdf67126

Greg Manusky enters his fourth season with the Colts as the team’s defensive coordinator. He holds 15 years of NFL coaching experience following a 12-year playing career in the league.

In 2014, Manusky guided a defense that helped record the team’s third straight 11-5 regular season record and second consecutive AFC South Division Championship. The defense finished 11th in the NFL in yards allowed, an improvement of nine spots from a No. 20 ranking in 2013. The Colts also finished second in the league in third down percentage allowed (33.3%), which was the lowest single-season percentage allowed in team history since 1972. From Weeks 4 through 7, the Colts only allowed one third down conversion in four straight games, marking the longest such streak by an NFL team since 1970.

Manusky coached three defensive players who earned their first career Pro Bowl nods in safety Mike Adams, cornerback Vontae Davis and inside linebacker D’Qwell Jackson. Adams ranked tied for first in the NFL in takeaways (seven), while Davis finished tied for third with a career-high 18 passes defensed. Jackson led the team with 184 tackles (111 solo) and notched career highs in sacks (4.0) and fumble recoveries (four). Manusky also guided outside linebacker Jonathan Newsome, a fifth-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, who led the team and finished second among rookies with 6.5 sacks.

In 2013, Manusky led a defense that helped produce an 11-5 regular season record for the second straight season and an AFC South Division Championship. The defense finished the year ranked fourth in the AFC in points allowed (21.0), tied for fifth in sacks (42.0) and eighth in interceptions (15). Outside linebacker Robert Mathis earned his sixth consecutive Pro Bowl selection after leading the NFL and posting career highs in sacks (19.5) and forced fumbles (eight). Inside linebacker Jerrell Freeman led the team in tackles (169) for the second straight year and set career highs in sacks (5.5), forced fumbles (six), fumble recoveries (two) and interceptions (two). His forced fumbles total tied for third in the NFL and first among inside linebackers. Cornerback Darius Butler posted a team-leading four interceptions for the second straight year and led all AFC cornerbacks from 2012 to 2013 with eight interceptions.

In 2012, Manusky incorporated a new 3-4 hybrid defensive scheme that helped produce an 11-5 record and an AFC Wild Card playoff berth. The Colts defense compiled 32.0 sacks and 12 interceptions, four of which were returned for touchdowns, tying the most for a single season in franchise history. The defense also allowed opponents to convert only 38.1 percent of their third down attempts.

Archived