Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per JLC on Twitter, Gruden getting rid of ENTIRE defensive staff

Alaskins

SIP I agree with what your saying in essence because football is a machine. If the players suck then the machine is broken. If the coaching sucks then the machine is broken as well. You do have a point with me and CC is right but let's not forget it's the coaches who decide who starts and who is brought in to fix issues. 

Not to continue to toot my post history but if you took a look at it I said that from my eyes Matt Jones was trash and I didn't believe in him and all last offseason I complained about how we treated the RB position even stating a few times I thought the way that was treated would undermine the offense so negatively that we would regret it. And we know what's happened since. 

Now you can't take that out on the player to me. It's not MJs fault that we didn't address that position in the offseason or that we choose an offensive line that can't run block very well but can pass protect like an elite group. Can't blame MJ for being average and not a bell cow back the team was hoping he was. That's on the coaches. If me at 42 can see this why can't the people in charge of it see the same thing? That's on the coaches and GM to see and fix

if our coaches and GM thinks that we can go into the season with players like MJ then that's on them. Every coach should be able to see who can play and who can't. If CC can see that issue you described then the DC should see it too. Unfortunately for us the problem with Barry was that he couldn't see things like this and it cost not only him his job but us the season. He could have done something to fix that issue but he didn't and for that failure of either adding players or trying different combinations of players well that's on him not the player. As you said coaching can't make someone run faster, you can't teach that. But coaching can mask issues they see in several ways. It's one of the hallmarks of good coaching

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Just trying to connect dots here: Manusky has coached under Phillips. Just a thought people.

Before arriving in Dallas, Phillips spent three years as defensive coordinator for San Diego (2004-06). During that time, the Chargers ranked second in the league in run defense (88.9 ypg) and sacks (136) while twice finishing first in the AFC West standings

Manusky’s first tenure with the Chargers lasted four seasons (2002-06), during which time he served as the linebackers coach. In the 2006 campaign, San Diego linebackers accounted for 42.5 of the team’s 61.0 regular season sacks. That season, linebacker Shawne Merriman tied the Chargers’ franchise record with 17.0 sacks, becoming the first Charger to lead the league in sacks.

Jerry Brewer talked about Phillips on the radio today.  He said he was interested in the job and was turned down in 2015.  I know some dispute this happened.  But some have said otherwise including Brewer.  Brewer suspects Phillips might hold a grudge for all of that and not be interested for that reason. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Jerry Brewer talked about Phillips on the radio today.  He said he was interested in the job and turned down in 2015.  I know some dispute this happened.  But some have said otherwise including Brewer.  Brewer suspects Phillips might hold a grudge for all of that and not be interested for that reason. 

Well, his son is on the team and IF the Skins brass can say they made a mistake then I think things would be reconciled and he MIGHT take the job.  Just a guess on my part.

I'm just not interested in "Jay and Scot (or whoever) know him really well and are conformable with him/have experience with him/etc." as a checkmark on the positive side. It's not imo. That's called nepotism. 

Again, the odds that a thorough vetting of coaching candidates across the league would reveal an in-house former mediocre DC as the best candidate--realistically the odds of that happening outside of nepotism are extremely low. If he is our best option (again, not saying he's not better than Barry) then we've failed and it's a continuing issue with this team. 

All things need to be taken into account in this coaching search and imo "how well the current staff knows the candidate" should be very low on the list of priorities or its being done wrong. I realize coaches gravitate towards guys they have experience with but it can go too far if your ultimate goal is finding the best candidate, not the easiest or most comfortable one.

And none of this even broaches the understandable argument from some that someone who hasn't been in this building for Barry's tenure might be better for a myriad of reasons. That idea has merit. 

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's more of a power-old school run stuffer not a speedster.  IMO we need to sign one in FA or draft one -- Zach Brown?

Give me Kevin Minter please. He's not gonna be cheap. But he's not gonna cost close to what Jamie Collins will cost. And Minter is a beast.

Keim's piece reiterates that Wade wanted the job two seasons ago. He says the son factor could overcome any bitterness and I agree. 

He also mentions Gregg Williams... I am long passed wanting this guy as his D has a history of one good season and then it gets a little worse each year. I was made so numb by the Zorn fiasco, I had forgotten or did not realize that Gibbs did not endorse Williams as a HC. This is telling.

I liked Manunsky as a player... the Dave Butz scratches on the helmet and the stach. He'd be better than Barry, (so would most folks with a pen, pulse and headset), but we might be able to do better through a detailed search.

Wilks is interesting, but if he is in HC rumors he is probably going to end-up a DC as a stepping-stone and then he will be onto a HC gig in a couple of seasons. Then again, Wade is probably retired in a few seasons, so there's that too.

Call me confused, but delighted Barry is gone.

34 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

if our coaches and GM thinks that we can go into the season with players like MJ then that's on them. Every coach should be able to see who can play and who can't. If CC can see that issue you described then the DC should see it too. Unfortunately for us the problem with Barry was that he couldn't see things like this and it cost not only him his job but us the season. He could have done something to fix that issue but he didn't and for that failure of either adding players or trying different combinations of players well that's on him not the player. 

I don't think its that simple.  This player isn't working so try that new player or go get another one on the scrap heap.     This team IMO has been rebuilding.  It's a step by step process.  We haven't gotten to fixing everything yet.  

I met with Scot before the Vikings game.  And I'll just say this no way did I get the vibe from him that they were loaded with talent on defense.  He knew there was more to be done.  I talked to him about the ILBs, safety, D line, pass rush.   For one position in particular he gave me the strong vibe it was in code red area which they were especially determined to fix.  It will likely be a very aggressive off season.  I'd be seriously surprised if the thinking with the FO is that now that they are swapping coordinators -- the defense is on the way.   I'd bet anything they think they have much more work to do.

7 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

How do you define who is the best candidate?

I don't need to define what makes the best candidate, I'm a guy on a message board. But I do know that whether you happen to already know a guy or not is not an important criteria when hiring anybody for anything. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think its that simple.  This player isn't working so try that new player or go get another one on the scrap heap.     This team IMO has been rebuilding.  It's a step by step process.  We haven't gotten to fixing everything yet.  

I met with Scot before the Vikings game.  And I'll just say this no way did I get the vibe from him that they were loaded with talent on defense.  He knew there was more to be done.  I talked to him about the ILBs, safety, D line.    For one position in particular he gave me the strong vibe it was in code red area.  It will likely be a very aggressive off season.

Skinsinparadise, thanks for all the little nuggets you've been dropping. It's understandable why, at the time, Scot wasn't inclined to pay $10 million a year to Damon Harrison following a season in which he only played 53% of the Jets' snaps. But did he talk about why he resisting signing any of the number of starting-caliber safeties that were available last offseason?

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I met with Scot before the Vikings game.  And I'll just say this no way did I get the vibe from him that they were loaded with talent on defense.  He knew there was more to be done.  I talked to him about the ILBs, safety, D line.    For one position in particular he gave me the strong vibe it was in code red area.  It will likely be a very aggressive off season.  I'd be seriously surprised if the thinking with the FO that now that they are swapping coordinators -- the defense is on the right track.   I'd bet anything they think they have much more work to do.

I will bet .00125% of the Redskins total cap expenditures we make two fairly significant Day 1 signings--depending on who gets tagged and who doesn't two of the three problem areas at DL, ILB and S are addressed.

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

I don't need to define what makes the best candidate, I'm a guy on a message board. But I do know that whether you happen to already know a guy or not is not an important criteria when hiring anybody for anything. 

So you have no thoughts on what attributes make a candidate the best one for the job? When Jay and Scot and Bruce interview coaches, what might be liable to yield: "this candidate is the we have to hire" ?

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I will bet .00125% of the Redskins total cap expenditures we make two fairly significant Day 1 signings--depending on who gets tagged and who doesn't two of the three problem areas at DL, ILB and S are addressed.

Im willing to bet if the Panthers let him hit free agency, the Redskins take a very serious look at Kawaan Short.  A dominant NT has to be priority #1 in this team.

12 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

So you have no thoughts on what attributes make a candidate the best one for the job? When Jay and Scot and Bruce interview coaches, what might be liable to yield: "this candidate is the we have to hire" ?

I'm not arrogant or naive enough to think I have the football knowledge or X's and O's acumen to answer this with the detail it deserves. I'd imagine it's some mysterious alchemical mixture of production/pedigree/football smarts/personality that I'm not qualified to guess about.

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I'm not arrogant or naive enough to think I have the football knowledge or X's and O's acumen to answer this with the detail it deserves. I'd imagine it's some mysterious alchemical mixture of production/pedigree/football smarts/personality that I'm not qualified to guess about.

This is why I don't begrudge bringing in someone that the coaches have a familiarity with. This is a big part of what makes a group work, in my opinion. You can have all the pedigree and football smarts--but if you're a raging asshole in the 1st degree--it will not work out in the long run.

28 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

But you are qualified to say that there's a literal 0% chance that Greg Manusky is fit to be our next defensive coordinator? Because you talk a lot about the "best candidate," but then are unprepared to explain what that actually means, outside of vague conceptual buzzwords.

Archived