Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per JLC on Twitter, Gruden getting rid of ENTIRE defensive staff

Alaskins

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

This is really mind blowing.

But, it figures; let every decent DC sign with another team, and then have multiple meetings over what table scraps you might want to consider.

Then have Allen trot out to a microphone with a bottle of gin and proudly announce the new DC that they claim was their guy from day 1.

Indecisiveness is on a go-cart blazing at full speed at Redskin Park.

Please tell me what decent DCs that we had any chance at signing?  Only one who you could argue that we had any chance who signed elsewhere is Bradley.

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Oh well, he'll be gone after next season along with Jay Jay.

I'm curious why you'd assume this.

If your take is that coaching is more important than personnel, then isn't Manuskey an upgrade over Barry?

If the personnel is more important, do you think Scot won't add enough (and youngsters won't grow enough) to make a difference?

Or are you thinking that losing McVay and any other offensive changes will more than offset any gains made on defense?

Do you have a bar set for Gruden getting an extension?

It will be a strange situation if the team finishes at .500 because you want to see the team progress (in the win/loss column), but at the same time, 3 straight non-losing seasons is quite a change from the our past... particularly if we stick to a focus of building through the draft.  

Just now, Taylor703 said:

The guy has never in his coaching career had a top 10 defense and the closest he came was when he had a world of talent with San Fran. I get why he was hired, nobody else wanted the job. But let's not act like this is some great hire because the players liked him. The players liked Joe Barry as well and he was god awful. 

Doesn't mean he's not capable of turning around our D in 2017. Maybe he's a true Redskin at heart, and was able to show Jay and Scot exactly how he wants to change our defence to an aggressive attacking scheme. Now we need some nasty football players to make it work. I think he's gonna be much better than what some think around here. As a player he was a mediocre talent that played his guts out all the time. I would be thrilled if he could get that same attitude out of our team. 

Any DC with any kind of options will ALWAYS migrate towards opportunities where a team has talent

because everyone, and I mean everyone, in the business knows it's about talent

Many fans still think it's the magic playbook. Which is pretty funny 

5 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

The guy has never in his coaching career had a top 10 defense and the closest he came was when he had a world of talent with San Fran. I get why he was hired, nobody else wanted the job. But let's not act like this is some great hire because the players liked him. The players liked Joe Barry as well and he was god awful. 

Lets not act like he is a bad hire.  Have seen no one acting like he was a great hire except maybe the current front office (and they kind of have to).

3 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Please tell me what decent DCs that we had any chance at signing?  Only one who you could argue that we had any chance who signed elsewhere is Bradley.

Gus Bradley (mentioned)

Pettine

Dennis Thurman

In my opinion, all better choices, and have at least had success in the past.   Hiring an internal candidate who really has never proven anything just seems like a stretch. 

Just now, zoony said:

Any DC with any kind of options will ALWAYS migrate towards opportunities where a team has talent

because everyone, and I mean everyone, in the business knows it's about talent

Many fans still think it's the magic playbook. Which is pretty funny 

Some fans actually think scheme wins titles.  Flat out, players win titles.  Phil Jackson won 11 titles not because of the triangle, it was because he had Jordan, Pippen, Kobe/Shaq, Bynum/Gasol

I want to thank Gus Bradley for taking 5 years to decide where he wanted to coach D so we could interview 9943152 people for the D coördinator opening. Now we can say that after 9943152 interviews we came to the conclusion Greg was the best choice. 

Gus was our number one. He turned us down so we took the guy on staff...who was part of the game plan that sucked. 

Don't know how I feel about this. I kinda feel bad for Joe and all the other assistant coaches. 

Just now, LetThePointsSoar said:

Gus Bradley (mentioned)

Pettine

Dennis Thurman

In my opinion, all better choices, and have at least had success in the past.   Hiring an internal candidate who really has never proven anything just seems like a stretch. 

I did mention Bradley was debatable.  Was Pettine signed by someone else before we turned him down? Was Thurman?

Just now, Darth Tater said:

Lets not act like he is a bad hire.  Have seen no one acting like he was a great hire except maybe the current front office (and they kind of have to).

Didn't say bad but after what they've been trotting out there for the past 7 years they needed to hit this out of the park, they didn't.

And I don't agree with Zoony's idea that coaching doesn't really matter. It certainly does as we've seen Crennel, Belichick, Phillips etc turn average cast offs into studs. 

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

Some fans actually think scheme wins titles.  Flat out, players win titles.  Phil Jackson won 11 titles not because of the triangle, it was because he had Jordan, Pippen, Kobe/Shaq, Bynum/Gasol

Basketball is in no way comparable to football. Lebron could go play for anyone and they immediately become the best team in the league. That doesn't happen in football. 

9 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

I did mention Bradley was debatable.  Was Pettine signed by someone else before we turned him down? Was Thurman?

Not that I'm aware.   Thurman just interviewed with us a few days ago, and had really hoped he'd be the guy. 

8 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Basketball is in no way comparable to football. Lebron could go play for anyone and they immediately become the best team in the league. That doesn't happen in football. 

Couldn't agree more.   I'd argue that coaching matters WAY more in football than any other sport.  Look at what Jim Harbaugh did in San Fran with nearly the exact same players.  They were terrible before he got there, and went back to terrible when he left. 

4 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Not that I'm aware.   Thurman just interviewed with us a few days ago, and had really hoped he'd be the guy. 

But the statement I was responding to was about letting the best sign elsewhere.  Bradley IS the only one who you could argue, at this time, that we let sign elsewhere.  Further, if you accuse someone of picking up the dregs, it is when the person you are arguing with would agree.  So, since we talked with Thurman and Pettine, the decision makers OBVIOUSLY would disagree with the statement

• zoony locked this topic

Archived