Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per JLC on Twitter, Gruden getting rid of ENTIRE defensive staff

Alaskins

This is really mind blowing.

But, it figures; let every decent DC sign with another team, and then have multiple meetings over what table scraps you might want to consider.

Then have Allen trot out to a microphone with a bottle of gin and proudly announce the new DC that they claim was their guy from day 1.

Indecisiveness is on a go-cart blazing at full speed at Redskin Park.

12 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

This is really mind blowing.

But, it figures; let every decent DC sign with another team, and then have multiple meetings over what table scraps you might want to consider.

Then have Allen trot out to a microphone with a bottle of gin and proudly announce the new DC that they claim was their guy from day 1.

Indecisiveness is on a go-cart blazing at full speed at Redskin Park.

I don't know if indecisive is the right word. I think some of the top candidates legit didn't want to come here due to the lack of talent and the uncertainty that always exists around the Redskins head coach(no head coach has signed an extension with Snyder).

I am fine with Manusky but how could they not have sensed potential trouble landing other targets. Scot has relationship with Gus Bradley for example; he didn't have any inclination the guy was going to want to break the bank even though he made 3.5 million last season?

Were we so shocked McVay got a HC gig we lost one of two pieces that could entice Wade (Sean and Wes)? We hadn't noticied Wade likes to go to rosters with more talent at this point in his career?

It would have looked much cleaner if they had promoted Manusky, then quickly added a quality staff with Tarver, Tomsula, and later perhaps a Pagano. The only thing I can think of is that maybe we have the pecking order wrong.

Tarver, for example, would be ridiculed as a hire by those who look purely at the production... but by all accounts he is crazy smart and has the fire that most want. Can people love with that dice role if the quality staff is announced with him?

Would Manusky be willing to work under his "brother" Pagano if they assumed a new HC would be bringing in his guy?

Seems like it is Manusky, but can we rule out a surprise?

Manusky to be hired as DC

Mike Garafolo
Verified account
‏@MikeGarafolo
 Follow

More
Redskins to promote Greg Manusky to defensive coordinator, sources tell me and @RapSheet. This will be his fourth stint as a DC.

11 minutes ago, TheCoach22 said:

Were we so shocked McVay got a HC gig we lost one of two pieces that could entice Wade (Sean and Wes)? We hadn't noticied Wade likes to go to rosters with more talent at this point in his career?

Wes Philips is still on our coaching staff.

5 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

This is embarrassing. Don't tell me about how good Manusky is, cause he's not. So dumb. 

You'd prefer Rob Ryan?

Manusky is not a bad choice, if it's him. He knows the team, players seems to like him, he knows Jay (and seems to go along with well), so he's the easiest one to sign for the transition without blowing everything up.

Move makes sense.

Gus Bradley apparently was their guy so team waited on him, but interviewed others while waiting in case he went elsewhere.

I liked Pettine but reports were he did not interview well. 

Manusky has had top 10 defense in points allowed and even managed to pull that off with Indy and their wasteland of players on D due to a piss poor GM wo just got canned. 

Plus he's a former Redskin. 

Cue the hot takes though, and the complaining of having to wait so long, ignoring that the team was waiting on their top candidate and that Manusky and Scot have built a good D together before and that Manusky produced a good D with little talent in Indy for a season. I'll instead await the rest of the D staff hires.

4 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

This is the exact problem. Jay is seen as a lame duck at this point. Pretty sad considering he's a decent coach. 

Jay isn't seen as a lame duck. The issue is any potential DC knows they will have to produce something decent in year 1 and have to develop a lot of talent at the same time, otherwise the D could yet again cost the team playoffs which could potentially lead to everyone losing their job given the expectations are now playoffs. It's a tall order, but....

the other perspective is the majority of resources will go to defense, with Scot drafting, and so long as the team has a good QB the defense just has to be average for them to make the playoffs.

There is the possibility that the uncertainty with Cousins has affected the search as well. But it would stand to reason that if the team doesn't keep Cousins then expectations go down and DC and Jay have more time then.

The guy has never in his coaching career had a top 10 defense and the closest he came was when he had a world of talent with San Fran. I get why he was hired, nobody else wanted the job. But let's not act like this is some great hire because the players liked him. The players liked Joe Barry as well and he was god awful. 

Archived