Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per JLC on Twitter, Gruden getting rid of ENTIRE defensive staff

Alaskins

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Several players and others around the league have said they wouldn’t be surprised to see Manusky — because of his relationships established since joining the organization last offseason — land the position if Washington failed in its quest for Bradley.

Manusky served as defensive coordinator in San Francisco when McCloughan was general manager there roughly 10 years ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/01/20/gus-bradley-spurns-redskins-takes-job-as-chargers-defensive-coordinator/?tid=sm_tw_ps&utm_term=.c0dbd167e847

There you go.  Let it play out that way.  Manusky and the others that everyone is mentioning (Tomsula, KO, Pleasants or Thurmond and possibly Pagano) will bring this D back to prominence with Scot M. building the D in FA and early in the draft

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

It's been obvious for a week Bradley wasn't heading our way. We should have publicly dropped our interest in him and made our appointment of someone else earlier in the week. At least we can move on now, just announce the staff and get on with it.

Yeah, i agree we should have shown more confidence in our guy. Well, fans do tend to think having a chip on your shoulder somehow makes you more capable,  so theres that.

I'm happy with Manusky. Hes been my choice since the bye week. Hell, he had a top 10 defense on the Colts. That's impressive. 

It's been obvious for a week Bradley wasn't heading our way. We should have publicly dropped our interest in him and made our appointment of someone else earlier in the week. At least we can move on now, just announce the staff and get on with it.

Exactly, we've been losing time with coaches who clearly didn't want to come to DC, while we could have saved valuable time by promoting our owns from the get go. It also would have sent a much stronger trust, and confidence signals to them. Nevertheless I'm pleased and wish them success, I like promotion from within.

I'm not sure we've been losing times looking and interviewing guys. Even with Bradley as our first choice, we knew from the start that he wasn't coming here and would follow Lynn where he lands.

So going through many coaches interview was actually the right thing to do, because otherwise we may have put ourselves in bad position. What would we be saying had we only inerviewed Bradley and he turned us down? We would then be in a hurry and would probably make the wrong call.

Now, we've got stuff about :

- Mike Pettine

- Greg Manusky

- Jason Tarver

- Dennis Thurman

- Rob Ryan

- John Pagano

We obviously had our views on Bradley, that we interviewed. Had the possibility with Steve Wilks, until he was promoted to DC in Carolina, and where blocked by both Cincinnati for Guenther (who I believe was Jay real 1st choice) and blocked for Vrabel and Crennel. (Not adding Wade Phlips as we probably knew it was like .5% chance he was coming here).

Looking at it, that's not a bad list of coaching search. There's some coordinators with good resume, some up and comers that other teams blocked, one that was out of football for a year after a tough stint in Cleveland (which is tough for everyone there). And guys with OK records depending on the talent. One or two that didn't look good at first.

Now, we've read reports of guys supposedly not interested in our job offer for various reasons. Talent on the defensive side, or Jay's situation being a problem for some. I think that's just hard speculation from media. Who really knows what went through interviews? Besides Wade Philips that seem to only look for jobs for talent is already stacked, I don't see any other guy on this list turning us down for this reason. Jay's contract? Not much of a problem. Baring a complete meltdown, I don't see him being fired next year (like going 3-13, which is highly unlikely, except if Scot mess up with Kirk). So At least, you have two years for correcting the problem, because with the O we have, you know that a middle of the pack will do the job and you'll be safe for a second year, if not more, because then it means he'll likely get an extension. (For as much as we criticize the Tampa connection, it also works in making things tougher to fire a guy).

The fact that we kept on doing interviews while waiting for Bradley also gives Jay and our FO to say that we weren't done in our process when we seerm to wait for Bradley and the guy we choose is still first on our list. I know that ain't much, but that may also be true. I would have loved for us to hire a guy before Bradley made a choice so that would prove the guy coming here some love, but it won't matter much in the end.

So we're down to six guys. My wish list?

1 Mike Pettine

2 Greg Manusky

3 John Pagano

4 Jason Tarver (That guy is really intriguing in his resule and really looks like a football guy as Scot likes them)

5 Dennis Thurman

6 Rob Ryan

And honestly, I'll be OK with 1-4, not so much with 5 and pissed with 6.

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

Unless our plan is to hire a coach from the teams still playin. We should have a D.C. By monday

I agree. There isn't anyone else out there that is relevant enough that we have not looked at, or asked to look at. I'd be happy with Pettine or Manusky.

11 hours ago, zoony said:

Just thought I would check in.  Still a **** show?

Yup.  Still a **** show

Hey Manusky the job is yours because all the candidates we wanted said no.

#leadership

#OrganizationalCompetence

Most likely, unless Pettine gets the gig.  If the Ryan Bros, come back in the picture,we're all doomed.  

57 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I'd assume the delay now is just getting our assistant ducks in a row. I just hope Tomsula doesn't choose NO.

I expect them to have a big presser to fill all coaching position at once.

Which will free Scot to handle Kirk's situation.

49 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

The fact that we kept certain position coaches indicates that Manusky was plan A or plan B.

It's pretty common for teams to want to keep certain coaches that they think have bright futures and want to continue to develop. It's what we did with McVay, same concept as developing players.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm starting to wonder if "Pettine didn't interview well" is code for "he asked for way too much money". 

You seriously think now is when Snyder decided to get fruggle? Seriously? When we're on the cusp of being an upper echalon team and you think now, NOW, Snyder gets cheap? Craziest thing I've read in this thread.

47 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm starting to wonder if "Pettine didn't interview well" is code for "he asked for way too much money". 

Maybe.  I was also thinking that if he more or less agreed with Phillips' evaluation of our talent, did he insist on dictating FA and the draft more than Scott liked?  Remember, Scott is a BPA guy in the draft, he's as likely to take somebody like Fournette if he drops as any defensive talent.  In FA, what big names has Scot brought in?  Norman pretty much was an unexpected opportunity.  Most of the FAs he's brought in are fillers.  If your vision is based on lots of guys with talent, you can't be sure you are going to get that talent.

Further, Gruden is on the hot-seat.  By the way, in 2014, 7 head coaches were hired,  4 remain and all are on the hot-seat.  Jay Gruden knows his offense is good and needs it to stay good but needs to fix red zone issues (we might have won the division with a marginally better RZ offense).  He might want some of the teams resources to shore up the offense.  He likely believes that a marginally better defense along with an effective RZ offense assuming the offense stays good in other dimensions, puts us in the best position for a deep playoff run. He also probably knows he cant **** this up and is probably pretty certain that he's going to not have time to bring in a loads of talent like his mentor Marvin Lewis did.

Now that all the top DCs are off the market, I'm guessing they are placing more value on who can build a good staff versus who has the best track record as DC.  I'm sure during the interview process, one of the questions was "If you get the job as DC, who would be on your staff?"  With Manusky you might also get Tomsula, Tarver, and those other guys that's been mentioned previously.  With Pettine, besides the Ryan bros, he hasn't really been linked to anyone else has he?  I know guys on here want Pettine for his track record, but if you felt that Manusky could build a better staff, would you still want Pettine?

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

You seriously think now is when Snyder decided to get fruggle? Seriously? When we're on the cusp of being an upper echalon team and you think now, NOW, Snyder gets cheap? Craziest thing I've read in this thread.

Calm down man. Snyder has always been willing to overspend on the "big names" like he did with Callahan, Shanahan, etc. He has historically been less willing to spend big money on guys like Pettine who don't have the hype and media attention behind their names. 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I highly doubt that salary demands are stopping anyone being hired on the coaching staff. There is no salary cap for coaches and Snyder can be accused of many things, but not being cheap.

Probably now in the process of going back to guys who we have interviewed for the DC job to see if they fancy a job as a position coach.........awkward......

Not really. There are only so many coordinator gigs available and once they are filled if a coach wants to work it's going to be as a position coach or look at the College ranks. It's all just part of the business.

Archived