Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per JLC on Twitter, Gruden getting rid of ENTIRE defensive staff

Alaskins

35 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

I actually think this might work to our advantage.  Barry was big on "putting players in position to make a play".  Nothing really complex, just relying on putting the player in position and letting their talent make or break the play.

Should be ALOT of helpful game tape for new and old coaches to use this offseason.  Barry's defense was basic, but it will help us determine who isn't making plays because of physical limitations, where we need a talent upgrade, etc. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the appeal when hiring Barry originally.  Getting a baseline on in house talent so Scott knows what he has to work with.  His system lets you get an idea of who the playmakers are vs. guys who benefit from scheme.  If he was successful, all the better.  But even if he failed, we still have a better idea of how to best spend our cap space and draft picks in the offseason

Barry's defense may have looked 'basic' but multiple players have came out and suggested Barry's scheme is complicated for the players to learn and play instinctual. But the new DC will certainly be able to identify the weaknesses of the defense, won't take him long to do that (ILB, FS, DL).

55 minutes ago, HapHaszard said:

Articles on the OP now posted in Bubba's Redskins Breaking News.

Be sure to read them, they're great :)

4 minutes ago, dsciambi said:

Who's our LB coach, and are they still around?

Kirk Olivadotti - ILB

Greg Manusky - OLB

And yes.

Thought I suppose the new DC will have the opportunity to move on from them or keep them.

Now with our luck, we'll bring in Wade Philips whose first move here will be to fire both and hire Joe Barry as LB coach.

24 minutes ago, dsciambi said:

I'd say this is actually just as big for news as Barry being gone.

Our DB's were atrocious.

Who's our LB coach, and are they still around?

Man, our DB's were just complete trash and a lot of it had to do with movement, anyone listen to Cooley this morning?!

Oh man, he went to town on the DB's and organizational moves, it was pretty in-depth. I'm taking his word on it all because he's definitely more football intelligent and closer to the organization I'll ever be but definitely worth a listen.

I just hope whomever comes in, gets with Gruden and McC and builds a plan for the draft and understands the needs of the defense.

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Year 4 under Bradley looks a lot like Year 1 under Bradley, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The Jaguars are still running the same vanilla defense that Bradley ran back in Seattle. The only problem being that Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor and Bobby Wagner didn’t follow him to Jacksonville.

??? Jacksonville went from 27th to 6th in 4 seasons.  Whoever wrote this needs to be less snide and do more homework.  Bradley may not be ready fro primetime as a HC but he brings it on defense.

Wasn't Barry hamstrung from the beginning by having some position coaches already in place and he had to keep them? 

That's pretty ****ty. He inherited a soft in the middle defense and half his staff was already filled out. 

That being said this was a move that needed to be made. However it make me wonder if they're going to pull the same stunt this time around as well.. it they do then we'll be replacing Joe Barry with another Joe Barry... Doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

I will be extremely disappointed if we go with Manusky. It would be easy, lazy, and underwhelming to go in-house with a guy Gruden's comfortable with rather than using all the resources at his disposal to find the BEST candidate, period. Manusky has a better track record than Barry or Haslett, yes. But its not a breathtaking resume and it would just be such an expected move from this organization, the type of move we've all made fun of since Allen first came onboard and brought his "Tampa connections" with him.

We have the time, reasons, and resources to commit to a far-reaching, thorough coaching search. What are the sheer odds that after a deep, vigilant search the best candidate just happens to be an in-house position coach who already has 9 years of DC experience that weren't good enough to get him another job before this? Zero percent. Realistically the odds of that actually being the case are zero percent. If we choose him, it's because Jay still isn't very good at choosing coordinators worthy of the title--and isn't that an enormous part of being a successful HC? Networking and getting the best coaches around you? 

We can do better, and I think it's a little bit important for Jay's future here that he proves he can think outside the box, ignore the mediocre easy choice, and do what's best for the team. Jay is probably only getting one more shot at this, does he really want to pick someone just because they're already in the building and have a relationship with our FO? 

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For those that hammer Barry for having 2 bad years in Detroit -- I'd presume when you guys go through Bradley's record you'd have concerns.  His first 2 years as coordinator Seattle, they were near the bottom of the league in both points allowed and yards.  Then, talent upgraded followed by 2 good years in Seattle. Then things flamed out in Jax in epically bad fashion.

I know he's a cool name and you got me if he's a good coordinator or not.   But if I had to pick a coaching candidate that would give the Barry-stats stink people pause -- that guy would be Gus Bradley.

Just said "I personally" would be interested in him. Should have said...I personally wouldn't be upset in the Skins interviewed him.  

But...I don't think I have "hammered Barry" or lobbied for Bradley...so...not sure why you quoted me other than not wanting to just type what you already wanted to say... 

30 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

??? Jacksonville went from 27th to 6th in 4 seasons.  Whoever wrote this needs to be less snide and do more homework.  Bradley may not be ready fro primetime as a HC but he brings it on defense.

During his first 2 defenses in Seattle ranked 25th in points allowed. For yards it was around the same. 

As for Jacksonville, you cherry picked his one good stat.  This year they were good with yards -- but as for points allowed, they were even worse than us.  They ranked 25th.  The previous two seasons they were among the bottom for both points allowed and yards.   It doesn't seem that crazy that Jacksonville fans were unhappy. 

But my point wasn't about liking or not liking Bradley.  My point is you have your share of bad statistics that follow him.  So for the ones that were concerned about Barry's stats -- if you delve deeper into Bradley, there are things to pause about.   That Seattle had mega talent but played a vanilla offense -- its not the first time I've seen that point made.

Edit:

Her inherited the 29th worse team in points allowed

2013:  27th

2014: 26th

2015: 31st

2016:  25th

2 of his 4 seasons in Seattle he was at 25th in points.  And with a rare exception he wasn't hot on the yards metric either.    So 6 out of his 8 yards as coordinator, that's 75% of his career, his team is 25th or worse in the NFL in points allowed.  So i am just saying for those stats driven people, Bradley I'd figure would set alarm bells at least as much as Barry did when he was hired.  And heck you even got the Tampa connections, too.  :)  

I am not saying that i am alarmed by this stuff.  If they hire him fine with me.  

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

We can do better, and I think it's a little bit important for Jay's future here that he proves he can think outside the box, ignore the mediocre easy choice, and do what's best for the team. Jay is probably only getting one more shot at this, does he really want to pick someone just because they're already in the building and have a relationship with our FO? 

I agree with this for sure, especially with the "lazy pick" idea. I think Jay likes it here a lot, especially with the FO working well, not rubbing their noses in things they shouldn't, etc plus he went from 4-12 in his 1st year, 9-7 (NFC East Champs, Playoffs) in his 2nd year and JUST missing out on playoffs in his 3rd year, he's been doing well and believes he can accomplish more with this team. 

Jay will go after someone who can help the defense NOW and not in a few years because if we slide downwards next season, Jay will most likely be on the hot seat with a lot of questions as to which teams would really be open that would be a better situation than the Redskins.

13 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Just said "I personally" would be interested in him. Should have said...I personally wouldn't be upset in the Skins interviewed him.  

But...I don't think I have "hammered Barry" or lobbied for Bradley...so...not sure why you quoted me other than not wanting to just type what you already wanted to say... 

I don't think I stated in my post that you said anything about Barry.  But if my post came off that way, sorry about that. 

Yes, I saw Bradley on your list and wanted to make a point about him.  And I am not saying you are right or wrong to have him on your list.  That's purely subjective.  If we hire Bradley, I am cool with it.  My point was of the ones who have hammered Barry, I've heard a lot about Barry's past with having bottom rung defenses statistically -- using that same lens likewise if we look at Bradley statistically, there are some bad numbers in that stew.   But no that point isn't directed at you.  So sorry if it came off that way.

22 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

They improve after a huge load of talent influx on D last offseason.

21 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Wasn't Barry hamstrung from the beginning by having some position coaches already in place and he had to keep them?

Yes.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for Jacksonville, you cherry picked his one good stat.  This year they were good with yards -- but as for points allowed, they were even worse than us.  They ranked 25th.  The previous two seasons they were among the bottom for both points allowed and yards.   It doesn't seem that crazy that Jacksonville fans were unhappy.

Good in yards, crappy in points?

I would think that's what happens when your offense thanks. They give D shorter field to defend.

31 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I will be extremely disappointed if we go with Manusky. It would be easy, lazy, and underwhelming to go in-house with a guy Gruden's comfortable with rather than using all the resources at his disposal to find the BEST candidate, period. Manusky has a better track record than Barry or Haslett, yes. But its not a breathtaking resume and it would just be such an expected move from this organization, the type of move we've all made fun of since Allen first came onboard and brought his "Tampa connections" with him.

Edit...

Unless this was Scot being preemptive. Manusky was the DC in San Fran when Scot was there, and he had some pretty good years with a very underwhelming offense. He might have been brought in to get a year to look at the talent (and of course coach OLB) before getting a promotion. Scot obviously knows him well and I think it's obvious he likes him as a coach. Stranger things have happened.....

24 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

They improve after a huge load of talent influx on D last offseason.

Yes.

Good in yards, crappy in points?

I would think that's what happens when your offense thanks. They give D shorter field to defend.

Maybe so but that's an outlier stat for him in Jacksonville.  His other years on yards in Jax were 24th, 26th, 27th.  In Seattle 24th and 27th on yards his first 2 years.  6 out of his 8 years, he has bottom rung stats for points.   And, 5 out of 8 years bottom rung in yards.  

He could be a good coach, so this isn't me saying no to Bradley.  Just saying for the stat driven people, I think they might be surprised when they delve into him.  i know I was. :)

I may be wrong, but it seems like we are in great shape to lure in a big fish. 

1) We are a team on the rise

2) We have a stable offense - draft can focus on D

3) Our owner pays well

4) The hire will come early enough for the new guy to have plenty of influence in the up coming draft and free agent seasons

5) We have a full set (plus 1 or 2) of draft picks

6) Hopefully the new guy (or girl - said in a Monty Python accent) will be allowed to fill or be highly influential in picking the position coaches

We have seen GMSM make some good and bad free agent pick ups.  Let's hope he nails this pick!

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

1)  They're on the market because they weren't rehired.  They weren't rehired because their former teams didn't want them.  It's not like those who succeed go unemployed for very long.

2)  I'm not advocating for anyone in- or out-of-house (though I'm partial to Gregggggg), but this logic isn't holding a lot of water.  No head coach wasn't a coordinator (except for Zorn) wasn't a position coach wasn't an assistant position coach wasn't quality control.  They have their own minds, but they do what the boss says.  Barry had his ideas and could only do what his players could provide.  KO and Mandusky could only do what the players at their respective positions could provide to the extent that Barry said while working with other position coaches who were fired today as well.

TL;DR - Don't rule out in-house

2 of those former DC's are on the market because they were fired as head coaches recently.  Another (Phillips) was on a team who will be getting a new head coach and thus may want his own guy there.  My point is there are different reasons why they might be available outside of performance.

I agree that assistants do what the boss says, but I want a fresh mind who wasn't here last year.  Someone with a different perspective and no preconceived notions about the schemes used, players' skills, etc.

So I still personally don't want anyone in-house.

3 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Oh, please. You'll trash the new coaches if they're given this same group just the same. Like always. Whoever is brought in here will be getting an influx of talent and, if not, will suffer the same fate.

The best thing about this offseason won't be the new defensive staff. It'll be the personnel acquisitions.   

Lack of talent = 394328492875984758974598714895 examples. 

Coaches Suck = Genius armchair QBs 90% of the time who don't know ****.  

Are you saying they should have been retained?

4 hours ago, justice98 said:

So what's the deal with the strength guy?  How'do he get wrapped up in this bloodletting?  Is that technically a defensive position, or are there offensive and defensive strength coaches?

Our players looked slow and got drug down for yards.  Whatever he was doing, wasn't working.

7 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

2 of those former DC's are on the market because they were fired as head coaches recently.  Another (Phillips) was on a team who will be getting a new head coach and thus may want his own guy there.  My point is there are different reasons why they might be available outside of performance.

I agree that assistants do what the boss says, but I want a fresh mind who wasn't here last year.  Someone with a different perspective and no preconceived notions about the schemes used, players' skills, etc.

So I still personally don't want anyone in-house.

I see where you're coming from.  I'm just saying that we need to be cautious about hiring/not hiring a name versus hiring/not hiring a real defensive coordinator regardless of where they come from.

With the assistants, though, one point may be that the players have too high a level of familiarity with the coach.  I don't think that a coach can be too familiar with their players, but the higher someone is bumped up the chain, the tougher they tend to (need to) be.  That could be off putting.  Anyone who comes in will be intimately familiar with these players via scouting, watching film, etc.  If a potential coordinator doesn't know the players inside and out, basically the same level of detail as you would a player coming out of college, then he won't be hired.  That part has to be true no matter where he comes from.

4 minutes ago, TouchdownSkin said:

Are you saying they should have been retained?

He's never said that, ever, and that's what is getting kind of frustrating in reading this thread:

TSO:  I don't like chocolate

Poster:  So you're saying you love vanilla?

TSO:  No, I'm saying that I don't like chocolate.

What TSO has been saying is that the blame can't solely be placed on the coaching staff.  Thinking that it's just the staff is extremely dangerous as it absolves players of their responsibility, and then we're gonna blame the staff again.  The percentages may vary in terms of responsibility, but making it 100% on Barry isn't logical.  I tend to think 65-75%, but I'm open to it being less.

Also keep in mind that TSO isn't trying to "be right" as much as he is hoping that the team makes the right decision with the right information.  Winning on ES is nothing compared to our boys winning on the field, and fans lose sight of that sometimes.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know Chris Russell is hit and miss with his takes, he just said he thinks Greg Manusky might end up being the guy.  A couple of other beat guys have suggested that as a possibility, too.  So I think that one at least is in play.

That would be interesting promoting the guy with ties to the GM.  Would add speculation on who's calling the shots on the D coaching staff.  

Archived