Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per JLC on Twitter, Gruden getting rid of ENTIRE defensive staff

Alaskins

In not one of Manusky's 9 years as a D-coordinator in SF, SD, and IND were his defenses top 10 in points surrendered. I believe in only one year was his D top 15. I really don't comprehend the Manusky love as a coach (I understand he seems like a great guy, but honestly, after being duped by Haz and Berry I couldn't care less about how nice a coach is.)

SF defense went from 16th in 2010 when he was there to 2nd the year after he left. We all know IND has been one of the worst Ds for a while, he was in control for three years...

Points > Yards

14 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I think today, Jay had our backs.  

"Our backs"? :ols: 

You think the organization doesn't understand that the biggest thing was the personnel? You do realize it's not mutually exclusive, right? 

So, wait, if we go nuts this offseason upgrading the defensive personnel, do I get to come here and say something silly like that?

That's a good one, though. "Our backs". I'm dying... if Jay heard like 10% of the ridiculous, and moronic, venom spewed his way by those you're including in your "our backs", he'd likely tell you go eat ****, let alone have your "backs".  

Let me put it this way. The process the organization arrived to, in order to make this move, was infinitely more intricate and included infinitely more information gathering than anything any of us could've said on the matter. You think they're just saying "yeah, those coaches sucked"? 

This isn't making you "right", and if you understood the nuanced positions better you wouldn't say something foolish like "Coaches suck = 1 Lack of Talent = 0".  

Based on what we know I think the shoe in candidate to replace Barry will be Gus Bradley, provided he doesn't get another head coaching opportunity. I highly doubt he gets another head coaching gig after going 14 and 48 over the past four years down in Jacksonville but you never know.

Bradley is very familiar with Jay and Scot. Gus was the replacement choice by Tampa when Joe Barry left them to go to Detroit to be the Linebackers coach while Jay was the offensive coordinator there,  We have history of Gus replacing Barry already. Then Gus was hired by the Seahawks and made Defensive coordinator when Scot was an executive with that team.

Gus is very well known by these guys and has done okay with that position before (Seattle Defense under him was the best #1 ranked in the league before he was hired by Jacksonville). Unless there is bad blood this hire makes the most sense to me out of all the names being thrown around.

Not saying he would be my choice or even the best choice but I'm saying he is the most likely to get hired imo

1 hour ago, Nfcbeasts4721 said:

This is excellent news,..make Kirk happy,retain Garcon, pray to the gods Doctson pans out, draft d line maybe a free agent linebacker...hey off season ain't lookin so bad now...way to go grudes!

We might have a good Core of receivers next year.

Crowder has been a Really good pick, much better than I expected.  Harris might continue to grow as well, and if you keep Garcon, and Ryan Grant improves.   you just need another young guy to groom to replace Garcon in a few years.  And you might not need as many WR if you retain Reid and Davis.

34 minutes ago, CTskin said:

In not one of Manusky's 9 years as a D-coordinator in SF, SD, and IND were his defenses top 10 in points surrendered. I believe in only one year was his D top 15. I really don't comprehend the Manusky love as a coach (I understand he seems like a great guy, but honestly, after being duped by Haz and Berry I couldn't care less about how nice a coach is.)

SF defense went from 16th in 2010 when he was there to 2nd the year after he left. We all know IND has been one of the worst Ds for a while, he was in control for three years...

Points > Yards

Wrong.

2009. 4th in points given up.

2013. 9th in points given up.

Tough break but the NFL is a result driven league, wishing those who lost their job today well in their future endeavours. I agree with those who mentioned Gregg Williams as a DC candidate, he definitely commands respect and players love him. Wade would also be a nice get if Denver let's him go. I have always liked Schwartz too. No matter who the next DC is I hope our defense can be good again.

51 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Oh, please. You'll trash the new coaches if they're given this same group just the same. Like always. Whoever is brought in here will be getting an influx of talent and, if not, will suffer the same fate.

The best thing about this offseason won't be the new defensive staff. It'll be the personnel acquisitions.   

Lack of talent = 394328492875984758974598714895 examples. 

Coaches Suck = Genius armchair QBs 90% of the time who don't know ****.  

I dont agree 100%. Yes, the talent level is definitely not there, but these guys were not in the right places a lot of times which led to the worst 3rd down % in the history of the league (Since it has been recorded). That is scheme. How many times on a 3rd and long did we see someone catch a pass with no one within 10 yards around them? This defense may be lacking talent, but the coaches couldn't even get the players to understand their roles, particularly the defensive backfield. So many busted coverage's. If the coaches were able to get the players to understand the scheme, then at the very minimum, they would not have been historically bad and there could have been an argument that the scheme was good, talent was ****. In this case, both scheme and talent sucked. Add on to that, the ability to teach seemed to be sorely lacking as no player really took a step up.

If someone comes in and gets these guys, at the very least, in the right position, you will see a nice change. No more 3rd down conversion nightmares.

Talent definitely needs to be upgraded though. ILB, Interior Dline, and safety. We need at least a starting caliber player at each position.

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Based on what we know I think the shoe in candidate to replace Barry will be Gus Bradley, provided he doesn't get another head coaching opportunity. He's very familiar with Jay as he was Tampa's linebackers coach under Jon Gruden when Jay was the offensive coordinator there and was the Seahawks Defensive coordinator when Scot was an executive with that team. He is very well known by these guys and has done okay with that position before notably before he got to Jacksonville. Not saying he would be my choice or even the best choice but I'm saying he is the most likely to get hired imo

This is what I'm worried about.  Instead of latching onto someone because they're in your network, shouldn't this be based more on their track record and qualifications?  If Jay is worried about working with someone he's unfamiliar with, use the interview process to dig deeper and find out what makes this guy tick.  And def get GMSM involved in the interview process too.  This may very well be Jay's last chance to hire a DC while he's the head coach here, so he needs to make it count.

Just now, SkinsRx said:

This is what I'm worried about.  Instead of latching onto someone because they're in your network, shouldn't this be based more on their track record and qualifications?  If Jay is worried about working with someone he's unfamiliar with, use the interview process to dig deeper and find out what makes this guy tick.  And def get GMSM involved in the interview process too.  This may very well be Jay's last chance to hire a DC while he's the head coach here, so he needs to make it count.

One thing to remember is Gus has a history as Def Cordinator of taking a bad defense and turning it into the best in the league. He has a track record and qualification for this position:

In 2009, under Bradley guidance the Seahawks defense allowed opponents to gain 356.4 yards (24th in the league) and to score 24.4 points per game (25th)

In 2010, the Seahawks defense allowed opponents to gain 368.6 yards (27th in the league) and to score 25.4 points per game (25th)

In 2011, the Seahawks defense allowed opponents to gain 332.2 yards (9th in the league) and to score 19.7 points per game (7th).

In 2012, the Seahawks defense allowed opponents to gain 306.2 yards per game (4th in the league) and to score 15.3 points per game (1st)

Then he became the head coach in Jacksonville. That's not bad by anyone's standards right?

56 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Well, I agree overall... but it is important for a successful organizational hierarchy that the Head Coach is responsible for his staff. Scot has said as much.

That being said, nothing wrong if they came together amidst disagreement but then both agreed in the end to go that direction. I just don't want it to come out later that Jay was essentially forced. It's not even about it being right or wrong, but it could lead to other problems and distrust.   

But, yeah, who cares right now and it's time to be excited about possibly improving. At the very least, it'll be fun discussing a new coordinator where there's some hope versus the exhaustion that came with any Barry discussions. That'll quickly change here if the personnel upgrades we're likely going to go hard attempting this offseason don't pan out. Back to the "coaches suck" after every game silliness. 

Well Scot and Jay have been together this long, I don't think they DON'T get along.  I think people on here and on sports talk radio and local media like to look for any little thing they can talk into becoming a reality.  Sure Jay and Scot might not see eye to eye on things but, IMO, Jay would have been out the door awhile back if they were feuding heavily.  And we'd know for SURE if they were.  

The talent still isn't there but now maybe we can get a defensive coordinator who'll have some say-so in who he brings in and get guys to fit his scheme as he sees fit.

8 hours ago, PortisBetts said:

If someone comes in and gets these guys, at the very least, in the right position, you will see a nice change. No more 3rd down conversion nightmares.

Talent definitely needs to be upgraded though. ILB, Interior Dline, and safety. We need at least a starting caliber player at each position.

It's difficult to know which one it is from where we're standing, though. If the new staff comes in and gets an influx of talent, suddenly those guys will look like they're always "in position". 

Anyway, it's not worth going over all of this again. I just responded to someone who brought it up themselves, that's all.

I'm excited to see what we do here. This offseason is huge for me... it's the one I believe that turns us into contenders if things go well. We're in the best position in over two decades to really become a contender. Cap space and draft picks galore; with a legit GM, a franchise QB and a stabilized FO.  

Just now, thesubmittedone said:

It's difficult to know which one it is from where we're standing, though. If the new staff comes in and gets an influx of talent, suddenly those guys will look like they're always "in position". 

Anyway, it's not worth going over all of this again. I just responded to someone who brought it up themselves, that's all.

I'm excited to see what we do here. This offseason is huge for me... it's the one I believe that turns us into contenders if things go well. We're in the best position in over two decades to really become a contender. Cap space and draft picks galore, with a legit GM and a stabilized FO.  

It is definitely difficult to figure it out. I think it was a mixture of talent, which is obviously bad, and bad coaching, not getting the players in the right position, maxmizing talent, etc.

That is besides the point at this time though. This is a good first step. Get us a guy that is aggressive and gives this offense more time on the field. Sign a few free agents because we desperately need help and cannot wait for talent to develop at all of these positions. Hell, if we have a defense that is ranked 20th, this season would have went much better.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well Scot and Jay have been together this long, I don't think they DON'T get along.  I think people on here and on sports talk radio and local media like to look for any little thing they can talk into becoming a reality.  Sure Jay and Scot might not see eye to eye on things but, IMO, Jay would have been out the door awhile back if they were feuding heavily.  And we'd know for SURE if they were.  

I don't know if we'd know for sure... but agree overall. And it aint it great, brother?  :) 

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Fans talking about Wade Phillips who is already employed in Denver..

Lol our fans are so delusional. Redskins are not an elite franchise get used to it.

Broncos defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is unemployed, but he wants to stay in Denver. With a vacancy now in Washington, could the Super Bowl 50 champions have some competition?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/05/will-washington-make-a-run-at-wade-phillips/

If you haven't had the chance to listen to Cooley's end of season Defensive breakdown, do it NOW!  It was hour 2-3 this morning, I think...

Doesnt shock me at all after hearing what Cooley said that Fewell was let go, and the rest of the D staff right with him.

Archived