Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you want McVay back in 2017???

Renegade7

Do you want Sean McVay back as Redskins OC in 2017???  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Sean McVay back as Redskins OC in 2017???

On 1/3/2017 at 5:32 AM, sjinhan said:

I think this is another poll that I think is just plain stupid.  Apologies for being so frank!

So we made the playoff last year and just missed the playoffs this year despite having one of the worst defenses in franchise history in both years... actually we finished with winning record for two straight seasons....  I guess people are frustrated because we had a such a "winning" culture in past 20 years!  

This is same level of question as asking f we should let Cousins walk or if we should move on from our current GM/HC....  

Guys... Why are we in such a hurry to blow things up???  Defense I can understand but this desire to blow everything up just doesn't make any sense...

The large majority of fans think like this as well. Its just the loud minority of fans who keep repeating their subjective unsupported criticisms. 

On 1/1/2017 at 9:09 PM, campbellcooleyconnection said:

Both coordinators can hit pavement I'm really beginning to think bringing Gruden back is a waste and  just delaying the inevitable.Every big game team comes out and lays a giant egg......soooo tired of it.

Not every game (Packers being the example from this year). However, I think Sean McVay just isn't great, he's just ok. That's not good enough in this league. His offense is almost predictable, and for some reason when the predictable is working to perfection, then he decides to go unpredictable like a bomb to DJax on 2nd and 8. Also seems afraid to use quick slants or in routes in the middle for pressure/blitz situations.

On 1/1/2017 at 8:42 PM, SkinsPassion4Life said:

No...Gruden, Barry and McVay...gotta go

Wow, so just scrap it all and wait another 4-5 years? 

No way man. 

Gruden will be fine, but we definitely need to keep this trio together. McVay should one day take over for Gruden, we could be giving up another Josh McDaniels in McVay. Barry is a scapegoat, since we clearly don't have the pieces needed to be a top 10 defense. Su'a hurt all year, lost Hall, Breeland takes a huge step back, Dunbar didn't improve much, Junior G got hurt again, and outside Baker, we really have no DL. Give Barry another chance, but also give him a rookie or free agent DL, a rookie or free agent ILB, and possibly even a SS. 

I think we have the coaching pieces needed to win, now we just need to draft well, and we will be in the playoffs next season. 

On 1/1/2017 at 8:40 PM, Renegade7 said:

It wouldn't shock me if someone offered him a HC gig, and you know what, they can have him.  I'm not 100% pissed at the guy, but I do believe he just loves the pass too much to grow out of it.  I'd like to keep the same system in place, but it doesn't seem like Jay is able to reel him in and coach to his talent, especially in the redzone, still forcing stuff.  Someone even pointed out Trent being upset how they don't run to the left enough.  I don't know about all that, but I wouldn't fight to keep McVay here.  Not if we're bringing Kirk back.

I am quoting the OP because apparently the group in here that feels this thread is "stupid" didn't actually read it.  An unsurprising development on the internet.  This isn't about calling for McVay to be literally fired from his position,  the "sky is falling and blow up the team" outlook.  This is about the emotions you would have if something out of our control were to occur, which is, someone hiring him to be a HC.  

Maybe some posters on ES actually want him fired, but the OP isn't proposing such a thing here, so to come in here and call the premise stupid is ridiculous.  It's quite fair to ask how much you want him back when the either/or is "upgrade to being HC somewhere else or staying here,"  not "fired or staying here."  Yikes.  

#3 in yards and you want to get rid of him.  Oy.  People dont know a good thing when they see it.

Plus, hes young, so hes making mistakes, which means he can learn, and get even better.  Yes, hes messed up a few games, but, thats because he is inexperienced.  Seriously, some of you dont deserve nice things.

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

#3 in yards and you want to get rid of him.  Oy.  People dont know a good thing when they see it.

Plus, hes young, so hes making mistakes, which means he can learn, and get even better.  Yes, hes messed up a few games, but, thats because he is inexperienced.  Seriously, some of you dont deserve nice things.

To me the point is not about firing him or not. It's more a "can we survive him if he's being name HC this year?"

I believe we can, but I still think the guy is too young to be a HC and needs some more grooming to reach full potential.

On 1/3/2017 at 9:42 AM, TMK9973 said:

This is getting Ridiculous.  For years we (Fan Base) have been SCREAMING for a real rebuilding process.  For consistency as opposed to always trying to spend our way to a quick fix.  

Back to back winning seasons for the first time in almost 20 years.  Half a game out of the playoffs with a terribile defense that we 100% ignored the focus on.  One of the top offenses in the league with all sorts of franchisee records and this board is full of "Get rid of the OC! Let the QB walk!!"

The FUNNEST thing is then its usually followed up with "Im ok with spending the next 2 years rebuilding..."

NO..NO YOU ARENT!! You have proved that because we are AHEAD of schedule in THIS rebuilding and you are screaming to blow it up!!

*"YOU" is not any one poster but the overall posts of many....

Thank you for bringing some sense to the discussion. I think we have forgotten the kind of offenses we have doled out over the past 2 decades. For once we have an offense that can score and win games. Nothing will be enough for the fans unless we score 30+ points every game and every end zone trip ends with a touchdown. I rather have the problem of trying to improve our redzone issues than not get there enough times. For those focusing solely on RZ efficiency - Seattle had almost the same as skins and KC was lower than us. SF was #2 in the league. We have a good offense and if we can improve on defense to where we are in the middle of the pack, we will win more games. 

Majority of folks on here couldn't wait to kick Kyle Shanahan out of town. I say he has done pretty good since. McVay will do well too if he ends up somewhere else.  

On 1/4/2017 at 2:51 PM, Zguy28 said:

Not every game (Packers being the example from this year). However, I think Sean McVay just isn't great, he's just ok. That's not good enough in this league. His offense is almost predictable, and for some reason when the predictable is working to perfection, then he decides to go unpredictable like a bomb to DJax on 2nd and 8. Also seems afraid to use quick slants or in routes in the middle for pressure/blitz situations.

Offense is almost predictable? LOL! 

The first read in the WCO is deep. Just stop! Crowder plays in the slot and has had great success over the middle. Stop!

McVay is a good coordinator. Not sure what some of you are looking for. "The offense is predictable" Stop! If it was so predictable, why did the Skins finish 3rd in the league. Just stop!

McVay's inability to develop a balanced attack concerns me and his over reliance on the passing game placed undue pressure on Cousins. As for his interviews, IMO teams are doing due diligence.  But for them to seriously consider a 30 year old with two years of experience as an NFL offensive Coordinator as HC - especially for the Rams in the second largest market? Go for it!

As Redskin fans we've been trained to get excited over the shiney new toys in the offseason and that includes the coaches.

At this point unless an aspect is a total failure (defense for example), I'm keeping them around just for continuity sake. 

We have a low bar, a very low bar around here but we are building. McVay is good, young and learning. He could be a future head coach.

Keep him, let him and Jay work together. Of course he needs to improve though

I need more info. 

We knew at one point that play calling was a result of the collaboration of the 3 brain trusts on offense. Was it Jay mid week telling McVay to call fades to Doctson, and McVay was only doing as told?  A play I wanted to see long before week 16, Reed lined up wide by himself in goal to go.

I suspect the 3 compile the plays to be used mid week, and that McVay determines which from that pool are used on game day. I would like to see evidence of more mid game adjustments. I am sure it happens, only it's tough to know for sure. Last week as an example, the Giants blitzing was effective. Kelley was not. Our offense was toast. It was time to call a slew of short passes, or mix in misdirection or screens. Trickery - perhaps a flea since they were were so loaded up on Kelley.

Whoever calls plays, I want Kirk to be an extension of them.  If the call doesn't make it into the huddle #HelmetHack, I want Kirk to already know what plays the OC would be OK with. Kirk's limited arsenal of audibles seems like something to have in place for a rookie QB. 

On 04/01/2017 at 0:51 PM, Zguy28 said:

So which is it - he's predictable or too unpredictable?

McVay is young but immensely talented. The 2016 offense was the first in franchise history to average over 400 yards per game and we broke the franchise record for total yardage on the season. I know yardage  does not give you a total picture - we finished 12th in points scored which is lower than it should have been given the yardage totals. Red zone issues are the main cause of that.

Bottom line our offense has been very good the last couple of years. Hopefully McVay has learned from this year and will be doing a lot of reflection and self scouting on the red zone issues. Fix that and we are golden.

The offense is not the side of the ball to be worried about right now.

I replied yes, but I do have to say that I is only because I want continuity on offense.  Was McVay's play calling great? No.  The running game is non existent. It's like he's allergic to running the football.  This could be because the Redskins had 3-4 difference RB's with 3-4 different issues.  Fumbling, missing blocks, etc.

The offensive line wasn't that great at run blocking either.  All of that said, the offense has a REALLY hard time adjusting when the opposing defense shut one aspect down and that makes me nervous.  Makes me think that McVay can't adjust his game plan once it goes to ****.  That's something that may come with time but right now he's green and it shows.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

So which is it - he's predictable or too unpredictable?

McVay is young but immensely talented. The 2016 offense was the first in franchise history to average over 400 yards per game and we broke the franchise record for total yardage on the season. I know yardage  does not give you a total picture - we finished 12th in points scored which is lower than it should have been given the yardage totals. Red zone issues are the main cause of that.

Bottom line our offense has been very good the last couple of years. Hopefully McVay has learned from this year and will be doing a lot of reflection and self scouting on the red zone issues. Fix that and we are golden.

The offense is not the side of the ball to be worried about right now.

Don't you think that at some point there's too many people involved in the play calling process?

I mean, we have Sean and Jay, obviously. But Callahan as say as well, and I supposed Kirk have one, at least in the gameplan (but doesn't seem to have much choice regarding audible from what I read here and there).

Somehow, I think that having only one guy calling the plays, ie: McVay, would help in the process. And the HC on specific occasion (like going for it on 4th, or calling trick plays, stuff like that).

Or did I misunderstood what Jay said a few times regarding Callahan and play calling?

PS: I'd like them to revert back from their no FB philosophy, sure it doesn't play much, but I think it would have vastly helped at times, instead of someone like Paul making up for it.

He is a good coordinator.  Of course, I want him back.  

However, it would be interesting to see what type of offense McVay runs as a head coach.  Is it going to be what he learned from Jay?  Or will it be the Shanahan offense?  One reason Jay retained McVay was because he knew the Shanahan offense.  So he knows both offenses very well.  As a head coach, is he going to go for the smaller offensive linemen?  Or does he prefer big linemen that we currently have?  

McVay's offense as a head coach may be very different from both the Shanahan offense and the Gruden offense.  

Andy Benoit is always mentioning that our offense is very well designed, with someone almost always open.  So he is a good offensive coordinator.  

Just FYI - it appears that redzone offense is highly variable from year to year.  Teams that are unusually successful one year usually are unable to maintain that success the next year.  Our redzone offense this year was likely due to a small sample size - over the long run, it would be highly unusual for the #2 ranked offense between the 20s to continue to rank at #28 in points per redzone possession.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/BarnwellNFLPreview160729/nfl-best-worst-red-zone-means-2016-season

The best red zone offenses in 2014 were unable to keep up the feat in 2015. That starts with one of the more bizarre outliers in league history: In 2014, the Raiders were 31st in points scored per possession, but on their infrequent trips into the red zone, they led the league in average points scored per trip inside the 20. While they still outperformed their overall rank last season, they were 20th in points per possession and 10th in points per red zone trip. The Broncos fell from second in points per red zone possession to 22nd. The injury-scarred Cowboys dropped from third to 27th. The Chargers and Eagles arrested the fall some, but even they were no higher than 16th. Meanwhile, after posting the league's worst red zone offense in 2014, the Jets improved to fourth this past year. This just isn't a consistent skill.

You also won't be surprised to hear that teams can't reliably outperform their level of play, either. The Raiders are an extreme example, as they had a 30-gap difference between their rank in points scored per possession (31st) and points scored per red zone trip (first). The flip side of that would be the Giants, who were eighth in the league in points scored per possession and 31st in points per red zone trip. The Raiders were 30 spots better in the red zone in 2014; the Giants were 23 spots worse last season.

Those gaps almost always disappear the following year. The correlation coefficient for that difference in rankings from year to year is just 0.14, accounting for 1.9 percent of the difference. There were three teams that underperformed in the red zone by a difference of 10 ranking spots or more last season -- the Giants, Bears, and Bills. Those teams historically have come in line the following year; the difference between their points scored per possession rank and points scored per red zone possession rank the subsequent year is just 1.6 spots.

For the record, we were the #6 offense in points per drive last year.  Meaning, if the findings in this article hold true, we can expect a redzone ranking far closer to #6 next year than #28.

All of this is to say that it's all well and good to criticize Jay, Sean, and Cousins for the putrid redzone play this year.  But hoping that they leave is probably taking it too far - they are producing everywhere else, and the statistics say that it's unsustainable to be a great offense between the 20s and a putrid one in the redzone, if given a large enough sample size.

Archived