Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you want McVay back in 2017???

Renegade7

Do you want Sean McVay back as Redskins OC in 2017???  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Sean McVay back as Redskins OC in 2017???

I think the Skins will be lucky to hang onto McVay for two years.  

If the Skins can develop a decent running-back group, and improve the trouble spots with the O-line run-blocking (Lauvao mainly) -- the Skins could have another powerful offensive attack.  That would draw even more attention to McVay, for the inevitable HC openings in 2018 -- and he'd probably get an offer.

I hope we can hang onto McVay this upcoming season, and I hope that Gruden is already considering who to groom as McVay's successor.  (I'm still wondering about how well Callahan would be as an offensive coordinator/play caller -- he's good, but seems to be more 'old school'.  And with the Skins complicated play calling structure, it's been hard to determine how well Callahan might do for the Skins offense needing to compete vs. defenses designed to play under the NFL-2018 rules.)

my biggest question would be who is more responsible for our offensive system, jay or sean.  i like mcvay a lot and its clear the NFL respects his talent especially if hes getting HC interviews at age 30, but i want continuity.  if we are running jay's offense and mcvay is just calling plays for it, then im not as concerned.  if this is a specific scheme that mcvay is in control of, id try harder to keep him here.

our offense works, last thing i want to see is lose continuity there.

You known what scares me. 

This guy is 30 and impressed Cooley when he was his positioncoach at age of 24 or something. He is now doing great interviews. There is something special about him.

Let's say he gets the Rams job and becomes a great HC. This guy can then coach for 30 years easy!!! Thats just walking out our door. 

13 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

I've already convinced myself Jay won't be retained when his deal is up and McVay will be named headcoach. Not what I want to happen, just have a feeling it will. 

that would be an interesting scenario. I actually wouldn't be opposed to that, especially if we don't do too good next season..

Rotoworld just reported the following:         

9332.jpg

CBS' Jason La Canfora and ESPN's John Keim both consider Redskins OC Sean McVay a strong contender for the Rams' head-coaching vacancy.

Profootballtalk reported something similar two days ago. Only 30, McVay is this offseason's wiz kid candidate. He'd be about as big of a 180 from Jeff Fisher as possible. The Rams are seeking an offensive mind as they look to jump start Jared Goff's career.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Peppers said:

It would be interesting to see what happens to Cousins if McVay does go to the Rams. I wonder if he will try to make a play for his services which could dissuade Kirk from signing a long term deal. 

I doubt he would, the rams have jared goff. goff is still unproven, and I think could be a good QB with the right coach/OC in place.

Coaching in LA is a different animal. That situation will eat McVay up. I don't think he's ready to be a Head Coach yet and will be an absolute disaster.

But hey, let them deal with it. I'd like to see what a more experienced veteran OC can do with this talent. I think McVay got too cute sometimes and didn't really exploit the middle of the field enough.

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think McVay got too cute sometimes and didn't really exploit the middle of the field enough.

I never understood that either, especially when everyone and their mom was abusing us that way. Meanwhile he ran what amounted to a 3 yard out route that took a 20 yard pass at the flatest of angles to complete like his life depended on it.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

I think it would be foolish for McVay to take a HC job at this point in time. That's a lot of responsibility for a guy who is 30 and doesn't exactly have a ton of coaching experience. This would be an extremely risky hire for LA.

well, he's either going to do great and win 10-12 games, or fail miserably, and win only 2-4 games.  Probably not going 7-9 though.

kinda off topic, but his girlfriend is a pretty hot, young Ukrainian chick lol.  

cA4xooRh.jpg

IMG_0894-2.PNG

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@Area51, how did you even know his girlfriends Instagram username? :o 

Lol stumbled upon it.  Following some cute girl's Instagram, who was friends with her, clicked on her page, followed her, and happened to see a picture of her and McVay.  I don't think I revealed a big secret or anything

I wish him all the best, but I don't think the team will suffer or struggle in his absence. Matt C can take over the play-calling duties and we'll be just fine. But as much as I hope to see him get a HC opportunity, I hope he DOESN'T end up in SF. I would hate to see anybody put in a position in which they had to answer to Jed York.

1 hour ago, Area51 said:

Lol stumbled upon it.  Following some cute girl's Instagram, who was friends with her, clicked on her page, followed her, and happened to see a picture of her and McVay.  I don't think I revealed a big secret or anything

lol no no you didn't, I was just wondering, good work mcvay!! :P 

11 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

This guy is 30 and impressed Cooley when he was his positioncoach at age of 24 or something. He is now doing great interviews. There is something special about him.

Let's say he gets the Rams job and becomes a great HC. This guy can then coach for 30 years easy!!! Thats just walking out our door. 

Probably do a much better job of putting together a staff, too, including the DC.

11 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

This is exactly what I'm afraid of.

When we hired Shanny, the thing I was most excited about was Kyle.  Kid was gonna have his path paved for him and then take over for his dad and be our coach for 30 years.  And then reality.

Same could happen with McVay.   I really like the guy, and as much as I think Jay's pretty good, I would trade him for McVay in a heartbeat.

Play calling is hard to point fingers at because there are so many variables we don't know, like how much autonomy Kirk has to make adjustments, etc.  The QB can make the play caller look bad and vice versa. 

What we do know is that obviously this guy is thought of very highly to even be considered for these jobs, much less killing the interviews.  It's starting to ring eerily similar to how many of us felt about Kyle prior to his departure.  Of course we know now that it was the QB making him look bad.  Let's hope it's not the same deal with Kirk.

Am I the only one that thinks Jay can call plays about as effectively as McVay?

I understand that Jay needed to delegate duties, so that he could manage the team more thoroughly.  I feel like our offensive play calling regressed this year.  Our run game vanished despite upgrades on the line, and relatively few injuries. Our RZ offense, stunk. The entire year.  Pass pro regressed, albeit after exceeding expectations since last season.  No blaming Barry for this one. We missed the playoffs despite many chances to get in.

I understand that the 3 offensive masterminds decide which plays will go into that weeks playbook, and heavily influence what we see called. We don't know who is calling that play we don't like of course, but forced to guess 1 person, we have to assume McVay.  He likely helps decide the pool of plays, but then picks which get used, and when. 

We should be fine without him. He inherited a jack stacked offense which has made his job much easier than it would be otherwise.  Cooley's comments show a mind for the game, but OCs with offenses like ours are not irreplaceable. Bingo!

40 minutes ago, Butters20 said:

Is trading coaches for draft picks still a thing?

You can trade Head Coaches for draft picks, not Coordinators.  There were actually rumors that the Rams might try to trade for Sean Payton.  Kinda far fetched since they already are low on picks already lol.

Archived