Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Rob Kelley Thread.

TradeTheBeal!

2 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

The one weakness that Kelley has right now in his short time as a starter is his ability to catch passes.  2 big drops yesterday that would've kept drives going in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. 

That's why Thompson should be  the third down back, and Kelley on first and second down only

The only thing that scares me about Kelley is that he's a Redskin.  Since Portis, we haven't had a back that clearly ran the show for more than 2 years. 

As for now, I'm enjoying watching him run.  He seems to get those extra 2 yards Jones couldn't.  And I love the intro at the beginning of the game calling himself Fat Rob.

3 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Rotoworld was pretty cruel to Kelley yesterday, and in a way I do agree with them. He got half his yards on one carry, other than that GB did a good job on him he only averaged 3.1 YPC up until that run..

I'm sure they're only doing that to save face from telling everyone to not pick him up due to him facing pretty good run fronts from here on out. 

Kelley got what was there

He has some of the niftiest feet I've ever seen. Very quick, constantly moving, small steps that enable him to cut almost at will. 

It's very impressive. Only problem right now is his overall athletic ability seems to be limited, so he can't just blow past someone or outrun many guys. 

That is similar to Morris, but who cares if he can continue to move like he is and find the little creases. He's very physical, very patient, and a very mature runner for his age. What's awesome is he can even improve there with more experience. 

Won't judge him too harshly on the dropped balls, but I won't call that a strength of his. Hopefully it was just an anomaly and he has better hands than that. 

I loved how he scored the goal line TD.  Breaks the plane with the ball, then he looks directly at the referee like, "Um, Ref?  You seeing this ball in my hands here?" [Referee finally raises hands to signal touchdown] "Ah, there you go."

I think people are underplaying his athleticism.  I mean his measurables are almost exactly what Almos were (kinda scary actually how similar their prodays were) but he just accelerates noticeably faster than alf does//did.  I really think Kelley is a gem in the rough, like freaky amount.

Dude hardly played in college? wtf who was starting ahead of him?

4 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Rotoworld was pretty cruel to Kelley yesterday, and in a way I do agree with them. He got half his yards on one carry, other than that GB did a good job on him he only averaged 3.1 YPC up until that run..

Thats generally how it works though. If you average 4 YPC you're not literally getting 4 yards everytime. Its some small runs and a few big runs.

He had a few other good runs as well, and the YPC before the big run is also skewed low because he had so many goal line carries.

15 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I think people are underplaying his athleticism.  I mean his measurables are almost exactly what Almos were (kinda scary actually how similar their prodays were) but he just accelerates noticeably faster than alf does//did.  I really think Kelley is a gem in the rough, like freaky amount.

Dude hardly played in college? wtf who was starting ahead of him?

Tulane just doesn't pump out a lot of players to the NFL.  I had a conversation about Ryan Grant a few weeks back with a buddy and we looked up his stats in college, who was a teammate of Fat Rob at Tulane.  I noticed and talked about the "other" runningback only because my buddy is a VaGiants fan. 

That guy would be Orleans Darkwa.  Tulane just didn't produce stats to brag about.

I understand the arguments that FatRob might not have the burst or athleticism desired, etc., but right now, I would much rather have a guy that is tough in traffic, doesn't keel over at the first contact and demands swarming attention from a defense. He is showing that he won't go down easy and the opposing D has to allow for extra effort or the kid will gash 'em. That in itself helps make the PA more effective.

This offense thrives on getting into 3rd and manageable situations. Rob Kelly is exactly what we need. Half of the runs on Sunday were shut down at the line, but he kept finding a way to get positive yards. The great vision combined with the jumpcut is a skillset we haven't had in a long time... 

On 11/21/2016 at 4:32 PM, TysonM said:

I loved how he scored the goal line TD.  Breaks the plane with the ball, then he looks directly at the referee like, "Um, Ref?  You seeing this ball in my hands here?" [Referee finally raises hands to signal touchdown] "Ah, there you go."

yeah that was odd...what was the Ref waiting on? hoping he would some how fumble it? felt like an eternity...coulda taken a selfie

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 3:36 PM, Playaction2Sanders said:

Two things here - one the GB run D is actually pretty good. Coming into the game I believe they were 4th in the NFL in run D. Now part of that is people just throw on them, but still they have a pretty good front.

The other more important thing is that his low y/cis more on the oline. He routinely gets a couple yards after contact. Several times Sunday, like every game he plays, he was hit at the line or even behind it and he somehow ground out a couple of yds. The difference between 2 and 6 or 7 and 2 and 9 or 10, is huge.

8 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Those 2 passes were on Cousins. Gruden even said how bad they were.

Agreed.  Can't believe people are already hitting him with the 'poor pass catcher' label.  Those throws sucked. 

I hope we continue to make an attempt to get him involved in the passing game.  Our screen game, like every freaking year, has been disappointing.  We've gotta be the worst in the league at running traditional, RB screens. 

I continuously see people hoping that Rob Kelley can be like Alfred Morris.  Always kissing Morris' feet.  Let's be realistic, Alfred Morris was a product of the zone read option.  In Jay Gruden'a system, Kelley is a better fit & a better runner.  I know he was undrafted, but the proof is in the pudding. 

On 11/21/2016 at 3:36 PM, Playaction2Sanders said:

Ah, and if you take away Kirk Cousins 70 yard TD into the wind to Garçon, he would have had 2 TDs & 305 yards passing on the day ?

21 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Always kissing Morris' feet.  Let's be realistic, Alfred Morris was a product of the zone read option.

I just don't understand why it's always so necessary for many among us here, when discussing players or praising their ability, to **** on who they replaced or the "other guy".

I've seen so many blatantly exaggerated criticisms of Jones by those crediting Kelley, but I'm just too exhausted now to continue defending the kid, because it comes off as me downplaying his issues or being labeled as someone who thinks he's already great. Even worse, I know it'll be taken as a slight to Kelley for some sick reason. I know it won't even matter if the statements are qualified every single time with praise for Kelley. 

Nuances in anyone's arguments here are almost never recognized, it's extremely frustrating. 

Now I have to read Morris getting pooped on here, too. He was just the "product of the zone read" whereas Kelley is perfect for this system.

Yeesh. I know I'm soooooo gonna regret this post. :ols:     

Archived