Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Rob Kelley Thread.

TradeTheBeal!

12 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I love RK, but I'll be surprised if we don't draft a RB next year.  I'll be surprised if we envision him as our long term starter.

Id be okay with taking a flyer on someone in the middle rounds. Absolutely not round 1 though, unless by some miracle of God Fournette drops to where we pick(assuming we'll pick in the very late teens to early 20s at the earliest).

I like the Kelley/Thompson combo.

24 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I love RK, but I'll be surprised if we don't draft a RB next year.  I'll be surprised if we envision him as our long term starter.

Unless you get someone like Dalvin Cook I don't see any reason to move on. He's not going to break 80-yard runs but he's going to get the tough yards and won't put the ball on the ground. 

He's exactly what the offense needs. Keeps the positive flow at all times and has the ability to gash for big runs. Defenses now must respect the run game and being in the lineup is the reason. 

Him in the lineup earlier in season is hard to argue against the Skins being a game to better in the win column. 

11 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Unless you get someone like Dalvin Cook I don't see any reason to move on. He's not going to break 80-yard runs but he's going to get the tough yards and won't put the ball on the ground. 

I don't think we need to draft Cook or Fournette to justify drafting a RB next year.  There will most likely be several  mid round backs that are more dynamic than Kelley, and I expect us to take one.  This doesn't mean that we're moving on from Kelley. 

In short, I just object to the idea that we are set 'long term' at the RB position.  I think there will be a chance to upgrade the RB position in the draft, and I would be surprised if we didn't make an effort to do so.  

The guy is a miracle if he keeps it up. He looks great, but he is THE exception that proves the rule if he succeeds. That's not even really any type of exaggeration. He's like a bottom 1% SPARQ athlete at RB in the entire NFL, he didn't even start or produce much at Tulane, he went undrafted and came onto a team that already had a young 3rd rounder who outlasted the last good RB that had been on the roster...he isn't playing in a read-option heavy offense with a running QB....the list goes on. 

We thought Alfred Morris was a longshot? An unknown who produced at his small school and was drafted in the 6th round by a HC known for plucking starting NFL RB's out of the late rounds for his ZBS, he was SO much more likely to succeed than Robert Kelley. And Morris himself was already a longshot, statistically.

This is honestly unbelievable on almost every level, when you really look at Kelley's measurables, college production, pedigree, etc. Its amazing, and I love it. 

I hope he has a long career with us and keeps killing it. This post is not meant as an argument that he's an illusion, or that he can't continue this way, or that we need to replace him. Its just a statement of facts that add up to a true "holy crap" situation, so that we can appreciate just what he's doing and how crazy it is. 

I tend to agree with Alvin above that even if we don't "need" to draft a RB (at least until the mid rounds) like we had thought, we probably still will because its a crazy deep class and if Matt Jones is really a bust, we will need more talent there even if Kelley sticks for a while. A guy like Samaje Perine is a brutal, squat power runner with surprising agility who could easily drop to the mid rounds in this deep class and would fit us perfectly, for example.

3 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

In short, I just object to the idea that we are set 'long term' at the RB position

I object to the idea that there is any such thing as "long term" at RB.  It is the most disposable position in the NFL.  It is almost never right to spend big money or high draft picks on a RB.

1 minute ago, Tsailand said:

I object to the idea that there is any such thing as "long term" at RB.  It is the most disposable position in the NFL.  It is almost never right to spend big money or high draft picks on a RB.

But a continual cycle of bringing in as many talented mid/late-round or UDFA RB's as you can is preferable, to keep the running game going. If you've got 10 draft picks and its a deep class, there's nothing wrong with burning a 4th rounder on a talented guy who falls no matter who you have at the position already.

4 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

It's possible we take a back early in this draft. It's rich with talent. Although we just came out of the deepest draft for one of our biggest needs, with nothing but 340lbs of pine rider, so anything is possible.

I love fat Rob and his story but I question how long he can keep his job. I hope for a long time but he might have a hard time fighting off more athletic game breaking type of RB's.  Just because they have a bigger shot at making a huge play.

That said. I hope he stays for a long time. Just grinding teams with his great vision and hard running. Go beat the odds Kelley! 

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Id be okay with taking a flyer on someone in the middle rounds. Absolutely not round 1 though, unless by some miracle of God Fournette drops to where we pick(assuming we'll pick in the very late teens to early 20s at the earliest).

I like the Kelley/Thompson combo.

I don't think Fournette will be available at 32...

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I only got to see highlights from last night, but it seems like the dynamic of our offense has shifted a bit. More smash mouth, better play action, more dedication to pounding it out.

Yeah, they played more tough guy football. In fact, yesterday, looked more Air Coryell then it did West Coast. Bombs were flying. Lots of medium and deep stuff. It was even more pronounced because of the wind. 

130 yard and 3 TDs against a good run defense. Hard to argue with that.

He's doing a great job making cuts, pushing the pile, keeping his feet moving, and protecting the ball. Also he has good balance and he's faster than you think.

He needs to work on catching the ball though.

A shoutout to fellow fantasy owners that started him yesterday :headbang:

Randoms.... I think a few of those dropped passes from Cousins were fairly tough catches. His game is running the ball though. He runs tough, always doing his best to fall forward.  I noticed he put some rubber bands to good use - a good idea.  What kind of car does he drive? :)

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

A shout to fellow fantasy owners that started him yesterday :headbang:

Saved my season in one league and put the cherry on top in another.

I'm pretty sure he had 19 points in the final 6 minutes of the game.  God bless Fat Rob!

I'm not sure they make guys more humble than Alfred Morris, but if there is one - it's Rob Kelley.  He literally told JP Finlay that the offensive line makes him better than he really is.  Guys credit their Oline all the time, but I can't say I've ever heard someone flat out say that they are the reason he looks so good.

7 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

His hype is insane for what he's done, which is nothing.  I did not see an NFL running back in preseason.  Nobody should be counting on him contributing next season.

Where exactly is this hype you speak of?  Maybe back in May, but until today - I hadn't heard his name since late August.

My only ONLY problem with him is that he did a poor job catching the ball out of the backfield. Maybe one of those was on Kirk for throwing it early. Otherwise I was so impressed with him and happy to say that I was calling for him to be on the 53 and getting more carries all along. I remember way back when people in this town thought we had no RB talent. Radio Hosts were going crazy. Cooley had assured that the reason we didn't sign anybody was cause of the guaranteed contracts, then he took back that guarnatee, then said it again. Grant and Danny were so anti running game, Danny to the point where he said we should be throwing it 75% of the time.

Now those are all just memories. Hopefully Kelley can remain the starter and become a 1000 yard rusher and we have a strength going into next year.

Archived