Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Rob Kelley Thread.

TradeTheBeal!

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

My only ONLY problem with him is that he did a poor job catching the ball out of the backfield. Maybe one of those was on Kirk for throwing it early. ...

I tend to agree. More than this game, I think Kelley has not been ready for some throws. I don't know if that is his fault or not of course WRT timing.  He likely has gotten minimal work in the passing game with Kirk, with just 3 starts under his dreads. In his defense, Cousins isn't exactly hitting him in the chest. The throws seem off target just enough, coupled with Kelley not fully ready and waiting, to make the catch much more difficult.  

Maybe more important than the catch, is the timer going off in Kirk's head, and getting rid of the ball avoiding sacks and hits. A catch with positive yards, is gravy.

1 minute ago, SAli457180 said:

Fat Rob may be Alfred Morris 2.0 but better.  This guy just won't be denied or makes something out of nothing.  Just straight sick the way he's going right now.

Morris managed to pop more big runs. So far, Kelley is looking like a promising 3 yards and a pile of dust running back. Morris was a doubles hitter. Kelley is a singles hitter though he did pull out that sneaky triple yesterday :)

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Morris managed to pop more big runs. So far, Kelley is looking like a promising 3 yards and a pile of dust running back. Morris was a doubles hitter. Kelley is a singles hitter though he did pull out that sneaky triple yesterday :)

Counterpoint...Rob would've put up huge numbers in 2012 running that zone read.  He has better burst through the hole than Alf ever had.

12 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Fat Rob may be Alfred Morris 2.0 but better.  This guy just won't be denied or makes something out of nothing.  Just straight sick the way he's going right now.

I'd say Kelly's ceiling is higher, but I too am curious what the ceiling actually is.  So far, most of his pass plays have been overthrows that he can't get a hand on, but it doesn't look like we're going to ask him to be Chris Thompson as comes with the territory of being a complete back (third down blocking and pass players).  We're keeping defenses honest more with running CT when he's in there then throwing passes to Kelly when he's in there, so there's concern there that that's his "wall" or "ceiling".

@Tsailand Nice homerism there with all the skins. That was me not so long ago. After getting popped in a few bye weeks, I learned to diversify.

Now, I just focus on nabbing Reed, and then add Cousins late. And then try to play the RB game, which I did well this year. I only had to add Kelley 3 times to get it to pay off. I took him with my last pick at the draft.

Kelly seems to be more of a pure runner talent than Morris.  Maybe a tad faster through the hole.  Morris benefited from a gimmicky offense and mis-direction plays that stopped working after the league had tape on it. 

I love Morris but he is no Phat Rob.

There's no denying Rob looks good and there's no denying Morris absolutely benefited from a creative run game and Mobile QB.

It's a little too soon to say if he's better or worse yet. Let Kelley grind for a while before replacing Mr Consistent.

I do like the way we run the ball. More power, through the line. Right at you.

ALMO's strength was his field vision. His understanding of how the zone scheme worked.  He lacked/lacks the physical attributes that make someone a feature back.  This is why he is is now a backup already.  I was sad to see him go initially, but the fact that no team in the NFL even entertained signing him to be a starter shows how GM's feel about him.

20 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It can be hard for folks to let go of the past, sometimes.

Seems to me they clearly have. They just want to remind everyone for the hundredth time

Maybe we can start a countdown thread for when the same people on here talk about how Rob Kelley benefited from all the attention paid to Cousins in the passing game, and how when he got cut, no one wanted him (while at the same time contradicting themselves, saying that running backs are easily replaceable, and aren't worth much).

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

The one weakness that Kelley has right now in his short time as a starter is his ability to catch passes.  2 big drops yesterday that would've kept drives going in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. 

I will need to go back and see some replays but both passes that he "dropped" were overthrown and he could not reel in off his outstretched fingertips, very tough play for a WR let alone a fullback made RB. I bet if you asked Kirk about those two plays he would say he would like those throws back.

17 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

ALMO's strength was his field vision. His understanding of how the zone scheme worked.  He lacked/lacks the physical attributes that make someone a feature back.  This is why he is is now a backup already.  I was sad to see him go initially, but the fact that no team in the NFL even entertained signing him to be a starter shows how GM's feel about him.

True, though I think he would have had some pretty good success behind that OL in Dallas.  Until they drafted Elliot. 

It's probably complete Deja Vu for Morris.  Dak/Elliot were him/Griffin in 2012. 

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

The one weakness that Kelley has right now in his short time as a starter is his ability to catch passes.  2 big drops yesterday that would've kept drives going in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. 

In fairness both throws were iffy if I remember correctly.

Archived