Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curious case of Josh Doctson M.E.T. , (3-29-17, 100%)

SWFLSkins

On 10/22/2016 at 3:25 PM, jschuck12001 said:

I would like to know why Scott punched the wall, he's too old to be punching walls so something must have really hit a nerve.

I commented on this in a thread about McCloughan.   Long story short I won an auction over a week ago to meet and have lunch with Scot.  I described it in detail on the McCloughan thread but specific to Doctson -- I'd guess Scot's frustration centers on how good he thinks Doctson will be and how much he can contribute so this is a missed opportunity.  To quote him, he said Doctson = Dez Bryant.   He said he hid the injury from the team and it got worse -- the dude is a quiet type but he wants to play and big time.  He also told me that the achilles injury will heel -- no concerns about it being chronic. 

Yep, McCloughan may have had second thoughts about using a first round pick on a player that wouldn't be able to play for the first year.  It's not uncommon for rookies to fall an entire round in that situation.  But it is what it is.  I just hope Docston is fully healed by next offseason and can begin to get the reps he needs in preseason.

I imagine if he's playing, its because they trust the health of the Achilles. If that's accurate, he's paid to play, he needs to get used to the speed and physicality of NFL level, and only way he gets that is from playing.  I don't agree with just putting him a plastic bubble until next year, that will further stunt his development and make it harder to make a decision on Garcon or Jackson.  We're expecting this guy to come out of nowhere, no game play, and take over as the #2 or #1.  I have no reason to expect that other then others expectations.

8 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Does anyone have any update on how he's doing?  The last we all had heard was that he could potentially come back for the last two weeks, and now we are only 4 weeks away from that.   

When reached the Redskins responded.............

crickets11.jpg

I suppose I will go a bit against the grain here and say, if he is healthy, get him onto the field.  You can never have enough weapons available, and if they feel Doctson is a better option then any of the WR's on the field then go for it.  Barring that he is healthy of course.  Considering what little he was able to show playing on an injured foot? I still have hope that he will end up as good as the GM thinks he is.

Even if he was healthy (enough to be cleared to practice/play I presume) I think the cons outweigh the pros at this point. In assuming it's been an incredibly long time since he's even practiced. We're hitting the home stretch, where guys are revving the postseason engines, and have a little over a half season of seasoning and are in peak form. Doctson on the other hand has been unable to do a ton of physical on field stuff since the spring. This team simply does not need him right now

Game reps are important, but right now, you are faced with putting him out there probably not 100%, when he's been on the shelf, and isn't in game shape, vs guys who are going 100 mph. I just think it's too late in the game now. I think there is minimal for him to gain hypothetically, if he plays sparingly the last 4 games, but a lot to lose, potentially

27 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Even if he was healthy (enough to be cleared to practice/play I presume) I think the cons outweigh the pros at this point. In assuming it's been an incredibly long time since he's even practiced. We're hitting the home stretch, where guys are revving the postseason engines, and have a little over a half season of seasoning and are in peak form. Doctson on the other hand has been unable to do a ton of physical on field stuff since the spring. This team simply does not need him right now

Game reps are important, but right now, you are faced with putting him out there probably not 100%, when he's been on the shelf, and isn't in game shape, vs guys who are going 100 mph. I just think it's too late in the game now. I think there is minimal for him to gain hypothetically, if he plays sparingly the last 4 games, but a lot to lose, potentially

True, I mean perhaps don't put him on the field on critical downs that you need to move the chains on, but having a bigger bodied WR for the red zone is never a bad thing.  I know we all hate the fade route, but Docston is THE kind of WR the fade is designed for.  (Maurice Harris too, btw :) )

7 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Gruden said in one of his press meetings when asked about Josh the other day that Docston was out of the boot, though I believe he said it was something he "noticed". :) 

Being busy with head coaching the team, I don't believe he has been closely monitoring Docston. You never really know, but I have a feeling we won't see a whole lot of Josh this season, which means next year will be like his rookie year.

Thanks SG.  I think it would be fools good to count on him this year, but we're ES so one can dream.  If he somehow finally got healthy by the end of the season, would be a nice red zone weapon to add for a playoff run. 

8 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

it will be like having two first round picks

What do you think the real value of Josh Doctson is right now?

Is there even one team which would give us their first round pick for him? (answer:no)

How about a second round pick? (answer: probably not, but if there is we should jump on it)

9 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

it will be like having two first round picks

You know, this is the first positive spin I've seen put on this that I kinda like--just like when the Jags drafted some defensive stud prospects this year and everyone was like "and they get back Fowler too, that's like an extra top-5 pick!"

So that will be kinda nice. We'll accomplish whatever we accomplish this season without even getting anything from our first round pick, and then roll it over to next year and hopefully improve that much more, minus whatever we lose on that side of the ball (which I wouldn't be concerned about because when you've got a QB playing the way Kirk is playing, in an offense he knows back to front, the individual cogs at the skill positions matter a lot less).

53 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

What do you think the real value of Josh Doctson is right now?

Is there even one team which would give us their first round pick for him? (answer:no)

How about a second round pick? (answer: probably not, but if there is we should jump on it)

Of course not, but that goes for almost all players in the NFL, in terms of trade value. 

He's still a 1st round value to us, because we already showed that we valued him that way and he still has that talent. Plus a year with his head in our playbook and his body in our weight program. He's still got the same value to us regardless of how someone else would value him now vs. then during the draft.

1 hour ago, bedlamVR said:

I can see a reason we could try and get Doctson onto the field and it relates to no14. (I think) one mr Ryan grant. Doctson can get some game time and prep time if it.  Mans less Ryan Grant :) 

Just what I was thinking.. hopefully Doctson = no more #14.. Can do with much less receivers tripping over their own two feet trying to change direction.. and by that I mean one receiver.

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Imagine how epic it could be that if Doctson returns week 15 (only if fully healthy) & in the most critical stretch of the season gives us tremendous playmakibg ability.  Could seriously put this offense over the top.  You can never have too many playmakers.  

That's what I'm saying, as a Nats fan, I have a bad taste in my mouth from protecting future "stars" while inside of a window.  Make no mistake about it, the way Kirk is playing, this is a window.  And it isn't going to just stay open until all the stars align. 

In the modern NFL, where the best team in the conference and the middle of the pack is often times very close, I'd love to have a weapon (at least we think...?) like Docston back on the field.  Look at how many teams get healthy at the right time, nudge their way into the playoffs and go on a run.  

We already see how Crowder still gets ignored half the time because defenses are so worried about D-Jax STILL....so imagine if you added Docston to the fold?  The brief time he was on the field this season it looked like the defenses were doing just that and he was left wide open.  

I am not saying push him back before he is ready, but if he is healthy and is able to practice and Gruden feels he is good enough to push someone else down the depth chart, then why wouldn't you do it?

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He's still got the same value to us regardless of how someone else would value him now vs. then during the draft.

That's nonsense.  His value has decreased because his entire first year was lost to injury, and the very little we did see from him on the field showed that he might not be as good as Scott hoped.

Let's put it another way -- if Scott could hop in a time machine and undo the Doctson pick, to exchange it for the same pick (22nd overall) in the next draft, would he do it?  In a heartbeat, and it's not close.

On the other hand, if Scott could hop in a time machine and undo the 5th overall pick in the 2015 draft (Scherff), would he?  No, that pick has turned out very well; 26 games of quality O-line play, and on target for another 38 games just on the rookie contract.  How about our 105th overall pick in 2015 (Crowder), would he undo that? Hell no, we have gotten amazing value from that pick, 1200 receiving yards in less than two seasons.  If you knew you could get a Crowder in the 4th round, every NFL GM would do that every year until the end of time.

So it's not too soon to say that the Doctson pick has turned out badly.  So far. 

If Doctson is determined to be 100% healthy and coaches feel he warrants being on the active roster, then he should play this season. 

Each season is special and all avenues to win should be explored, when discussing a potential playoff team. 

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You know, this is the first positive spin I've seen put on this that I kinda like--just like when the Jags drafted some defensive stud prospects this year and everyone was like "and they get back Fowler too, that's like an extra top-5 pick!"

So that will be kinda nice. We'll accomplish whatever we accomplish this season without even getting anything from our first round pick, and then roll it over to next year and hopefully improve that much more, minus whatever we lose on that side of the ball (which I wouldn't be concerned about because when you've got a QB playing the way Kirk is playing, in an offense he knows back to front, the individual cogs at the skill positions matter a lot less).

Of course not, but that goes for almost all players in the NFL, in terms of trade value. 

He's still a 1st round value to us, because we already showed that we valued him that way and he still has that talent. Plus a year with his head in our playbook and his body in our weight program. He's still got the same value to us regardless of how someone else would value him now vs. then during the draft.

Thank you for some common sense! Well stated!

And I agree re: the 2 1st rd picks analogy. Sometimes it takes patience, something fans don't typically have. Good thing our FO is now being run by football people who understand the long game.

Archived