Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curious case of Josh Doctson M.E.T. , (3-29-17, 100%)

SWFLSkins

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Isn't it fair to assume that the team knows a little more about this than we do? Just because it seems like an obvious decision to IR him, maybe there's no real reason to do so in October...

Having your 53rd player be your first-round WR who could heal up and contribute might feel more valuable to the team than having a 4th TE or 9th OL that you don't anticipate playing. 

This is my thinking.  If they felt they absolutely needed that roster spot for someone else, they'd go ahead and do it.  There must be some kind of hope, especially with the bye week coming up, that Doctson could be ready to go for the Vikings game. 

one of my random thoughts - I was just listening to The Chris and Cooley show and they brought up the fade passes in the ez...and we have seen more than in recent years...so my thought was...are we seeing all of these fades because they are giving Cuz live game practice throwing a fade? so when a fresh Doctson comes back for the 2nd half of the season...unleash our forgotten about Secrete Weapon Doctson??

Doctson's physical attributes at WR are really the one key thing the WR core is missing, despite being otherwise really good.  Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis are very good redzone weapons, but we are lacking a WR that you can throw a ball up in the air to and they'll straight up snatch it out of the air. There is no doubt having him on the field would give the offense a lot more options on those goal to go downs.

Every week you see QB's throwing the ball to their big physical WR who is not necessarily "open" but they use their physicality to get that ball.  We don't currently have a WR that Cousins probably trusts just to throw it their way and expects them to find a way.  

Garcon is very physical for his size, but his strength in that department comes more after the catch has been made.

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Isn't it fair to assume that the team knows a little more about this than we do? Just because it seems like an obvious decision to IR him, maybe there's no real reason to do so in October...

Having your 53rd player be your first-round WR who could heal up and contribute might feel more valuable to the team than having a 4th TE or 9th OL that you don't anticipate playing. 

I actually assume they know lots more than I do.  I just also assume that they do what we all do and hope against hope a little too long sometimes.  When the coach is like "idk" repeatedly, I'm thinking he legitimately doesn't know or he knows and doesn't want to start a panic.  Oh God I pray they know more than I do, or we are in major trouble.

IR and rest are not guarantees that he will

heal. If he is put on IR and it acts up again next summer, it would have been better if he ruptured it this year. Activate him after the bye and if he has a setback put him under the knife. Wasting year 2 hoping that it will heal on its own is not a great option. 

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

IR and rest are not guarantees that he will

heal. If he is put on IR and it acts up again next summer, it would have been better if he ruptured it this year. Activate him after the bye and if he has a setback put him under the knife. Wasting year 2 hoping that it will heal on its own is not a great option. 

Frankly, I think all of us need to resign to the fact that at this point there is no great option.  Everything has its risks and potential concerns.  And that sucks.

20 hours ago, NattyBo said:

That backup center from the practice squad is now on IR for the rest of the season, after playing 1 game for Cleveland. 

So he got hurt, how exactly does that change my point?  Are you really saying Reiter would not be an upgrade over our current backup center?

Bonus question: Quick, who is our current backup center?

20 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So he got hurt, how exactly does that change my point?  Are you really saying Reiter would not be an upgrade over our current backup center?

Reiter wasn't going to be carried on our active roster instead of Doctson weeks 1 and 2.

Kory was hurt after Reiter was signed by the Browns from our practice squad. 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Bonus question: Quick, who is our current backup center?

Sullivan, a 32 year old vet we signed off the street, most recently of Minnesota.  What are you trying to prove, is this a fandom measuring contest? I wasn't changing your point, just pointing out that Reiter is on IR, and nothing is a given.

Just now, skinfan2k said:

Who exactly is injured?? 

Reed is most likely out and now Desean hasn't practiced all week.  Desean said he will play but he could get hit on that shoulder on his first play and be out the rest of the game.

At least we have depth at the TE position which is something we didn't have last year.

Good info from @MikeJonesWaPo -- #Redskins remain perplexed by Josh Doctson and the pain in both Achilles’ tendons

By Mike Jones October 20 at 5:24 PM 

The Washington Redskins had just picked up their fourth victory in as many weeks, and the same amount of time had passed since first-round pick Josh Doctson had set foot on the field. A reporter asked Coach Jay Gruden on Monday whether he thought the wide receiver might return this week.

Without hesitation, Gruden offered a definitive “no.”

It’s a weekly question at Redskins Park and has been since the spring, when the wideout strained his left Achilles’ tendon during rookie minicamp and lasted one full-squad practice before he missed the rest of the offseason, training camp and the preseason.

The Insider @Insider
Redskins remain perplexed by Josh Doctson and the pain in both Achilles’ tendons http://wapo.st/2eLIbWh 

On 10/19/2016 at 2:01 PM, Stefanskins said:

one of my random thoughts - I was just listening to The Chris and Cooley show and they brought up the fade passes in the ez...and we have seen more than in recent years...so my thought was...are we seeing all of these fades because they are giving Cuz live game practice throwing a fade? so when a fresh Doctson comes back for the 2nd half of the season...unleash our forgotten about Secrete Weapon Doctson??

I've had thoughts on that too.. And my thought was, if I was an opposing OC, I'd call fades against us in the redzone, because SOMETHING is making the Skins think they can pull it off.. And my feeling is, maybe our D can't cover it in practice?? What else would give them the confidence to keep trying it?? lol 

10 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Double Achilles spells double trouble...

If not more as I see it.  Not good. 

Most likely he is feeling pain in the other foot because he is overcompensating on it. Putting more pressure on the healthy Achilles to take pressure off the injured one.

The same thing happened with Gallette. He put more pressure on his healthy Achilles to take pressure off the injured one as he worked to come back. The result was the damaging of the healthy Achilles, and another lost season.

Maybe Docston should just shut down till next offseason if this is starting to affect his healthy foot.

7 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Most likely he is feeling pain in the other foot because he is overcompensating on it. Putting more pressure on the healthy Achilles to take pressure off the injured one.

The same thing happened with Gallette. He put more pressure on his healthy Achilles to take pressure off the injured one as he worked to come back. The result was the damaging of the healthy Achilles, and another lost season.

Maybe Docston should just shut down till next offseason if this is starting to affect his healthy foot.

He doesn't have an unhealthy foot, read what they are saying about the diagnosis. They can't find a damn thing wrong with him.

Good luck trying to find out where this mysterious pain is coming from, better bring in a medicine man.

13 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

He doesn't have an unhealthy foot, read what they are saying about the diagnosis. They can't find a damn thing wrong with him.

Good luck trying to find out where this mysterious pain is coming from, better bring in a medicine man.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Doctor ES, he's faking, he's sandbagging. He just decided to blow off four years of hard work at college as a walk-on player because..... well, whatever. :rolleyes:

I think your tin foil hat is on just a little too tight.

9 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Doctor ES, he's faking, he's sandbagging. He just decided to blow off four years of hard work at college as a walk-on player because..... well, whatever. :rolleyes:

I think your tin foil hat is on just a little too tight.

I doubt he's faking it, at one point I questioned his toughness but I think you would have heard something by now if that was the case.

Just now, jschuck12001 said:

I doubt he's faking it, at one point I questioned his toughness but I think you would have heard something by now if that was the case.

It has nothing to with toughness.

Talk to people who have had tendonitis in their Achilles. It is very painful, even hard to walk on. Most of them aren't athletes who have to spend weekly practices and Sundays running at full speed. Over and over and over and over again.

The mere fact that his healthy Achilles is now bothering him is proof that the first one is injured because it shows he has been centering more of his weight onto the healthy foot. Which is now causing discomfort because of the extra pressure on it.

Though I am certainly no medical expert myself, I do know that spotting reasons for tendonitis issues in the Achilles isn't as easy as seeing a break in a bone on an x-ray.

Docston isn't sandbagging, and he's not a wimp. If Gruden believed that Docston was just laying down, he wouldn't be wasting time with him. He would've just IR'd him and be done with it. Docston would be deep in Gruden's doghouse right now.

Instead, Gruden is praising him, calling him "exciting" and "dynamic" and trying his best to get back on the field.

Relax. Docston will be playing when his foot is healed. :) 

10 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

It has nothing to with toughness.

Talk to people who have had tendonitis in their Achilles. It is very painful, even hard to walk on. Most of them aren't athletes who have to spend weekly practices and Sundays running at full speed. Over and over and over and over again.

The mere fact that his healthy Achilles is now bothering him is proof that the first one is injured because it shows he has been centering more of his weight onto the healthy foot. Which is now causing discomfort because of the extra pressure on it.

Though I am certainly no medical expert myself, I do know that spotting reasons for tendonitis issues in the Achilles isn't as easy as seeing a break in a bone on an x-ray.

Docston isn't sandbagging, and he's not a wimp. If Gruden believed that Docston was just laying down, he wouldn't be wasting time with him. He would've just IR'd him and be done with it. Docston would be deep in Gruden's doghouse right now.

Instead, Gruden is praising him, calling him "exciting" and "dynamic" and trying his best to get back on the field.

Relax. Docston will be playing when his foot is healed. :) 

I just said I didn't think toughness was the issue.

I've had tendonitis and the doctor put me in a cast for 8 weeks which healed it.  I actually played with it because it felt better when it was warm but once I cooled down it was pretty bad.

Archived