Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curious case of Josh Doctson M.E.T. , (3-29-17, 100%)

SWFLSkins

2 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

You know it's not all the same.  Like when RG3 played through the knee pain?  We've been burned by Achilles problems multiple times from Hall and Gallette.  Even with Reed, he then missed at least the Cardinals game.

I wouldn't mess with an injury that lingered this long.  I'm disappointed and oftentimes forget he's even on the team, and I shouldn't be saying that about a first-round pick.  

It isn't, but to be an NFL player there is a certain threshold of pain you have to play through. After the first couple weeks of the season everyone is playing through bumps and bruises.

Achilles injuries suck to recover from, but nobody can seem to find a problem with him. That tells me its in his head as much as anything.

57 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

So does anyone know exactly what the HELL is going on????

He is missing an entire season for chronic pain in his Achilles, he doesn't have an injury unless you call pain an injury.

Just look at Jays body language and facial expression when someone asks him about Doctson, it says it all.

God damn it do I really wish the Colts hadn't taken Ryan Kelly out from under us. What a building block he would have been...would have made me even more excited about potentially drafting one of the many stud RB prospects coming out this year, too.

Now we're just hoping Doctson recovers and we get a "bonus" 1st rounder next year. Why does this feel so "Redskins", despite having McCloughan in charge? So disappointing. (this is to say nothing about the pick at the time--Doctson was and is a great prospect. Its just bad ****ing luck)

1 hour ago, jschuck12001 said:

He is missing an entire season for chronic pain in his Achilles, he doesn't have an injury unless you call pain an injury.

Just look at Jays body language and facial expression when someone asks him about Doctson, it says it all.

So is the guy just soft, weak minded,  and a prima-donna then??   Wow. 

1 minute ago, srtman04 said:

I don't know if that's the case even though that was my initial thought several months ago.

The guy has serious talent so hopefully he comes back strong next year.  

Its going to be a nervous time for SM because FA and the draft take place before players are able to get on the field for organized training sessions.

Jeesh - the guy is obviously in a lot of pain, and there is no way to compare the pain that two different players with two different injuries are experiencing.  Not every injury can be explained.  Tendinitis just means that the tendon is swollen.  The cause for the swelling could be anything from a minuscule bone chip or loose cartilage or rough patch on a bone to a bacterial infection.  If the cause is an irritant, and that irritant is persistent, rest may allow the swelling to go down to the point where the tendon is not in direct contact with the irritant under normal conditions; however, in extreme conditions, like playing professional football, the tendon may swell enough to produce contact between and tendon and the irritant, causing the tendinitis to flare up.  Or the irritant could dissolve or move and the tendinitis may never return.

My guess is that Josh has dreamed of playing professional football since he was in single digits.  I highly doubt that he would be just dogging it now that he's made it.  The whole concept is ridiculous - of course he wants to be a factor during a playoff run.  Give the guy a break - just because no one can definitively explain the injury doesn't mean that it's any less debilitating than a fracture or a concussion.

Just can't believe this kid's heart is being questioned. How that's even an acceptable thought is beyond me. Cooley is such a jackass for allowing this to gain hold into Skins fans' psyches. Frustrating. 

So we're supposed to believe this with a young man who had absolutely nothing given to him, a walk on in college. Had to earn his spot on his college team, wasn't some five star recruit. Worked his way up to not only starter level, but the leader of his team. The guy his QB went to when they needed a play.

Then he goes all out for the draft, practices hard during OTAs, hides the pain in his foot from the team because he wants to be a part of everything. Works his way back into playing the second game of the season, only for it to get re-aggravated.

By all indications, it's an injury that doesn't go away without constant rest for an extended period of time. The pain is so bad for most that they can't even press on it, and he plays at a skill position... but I'm supposed to believe he lacks heart? 

JP Finlay ‏@JPFinlayCSN  1m1 minute ago
ICYMI: Josh Doctson was supposed to make #Redskins decision on DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garçon easier. He didnt.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/gruden-contracts-pierre-garcon-and-desean-jackson-time-will-come?utm_content=buffer4d0ac&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The plan called for rookie first-round pick Josh Doctson to simplify the Redskins' front office pending decisions on Garçon and Jackson, but that hasn't worked out. Doctson missed the bulk of his rookie year with an Achilles injury, and while there was some slim hope Doctson might be able to come back in the late stages of the 2016 season, that door has closed.

2 hours ago, srtman04 said:

No, that's not true.

Don't listen to all the bull**** being pushed here that "nobody knows what is wrong with him". He has an achilles injury. They can be very painful and very tricky.

Gallette has missed two seasons because of damaged achilles. Players have retired because of problems with the achilles tendon. Docston hasn't torn his, as far as I know, but you can damage your achilles in other ways.

If anybody complaining about Docston actually looked at how hard he worked to succeed in college (just to get noticed) and make it to the NFL, they wouldn't be accusing him of being soft and sandbagging it now.

Unfortunately, season-ending injuries happen, even to first-round selections.

Docston will be OK. We are just going to have to wait till next season to see him do his stuff. :) 

I think as the article eluded to, if Garcon & Jackson weren't both free agents at the end of the season I think the situation would be ignored for now, however drafting Docston definitely felt like premeditated move made due the possibility of one or both of our starting WR core being gone.

If Doctson was everything he is supposed to be,   I would feel fine running with him, Crowder in the slot, and maybe bringing in a bigger sized WR for possession downs.  Now that Docston is still a question mark it could force the hand of the front office to bring back at least one of the WR's at a price way over what they initially wanted to offer.

THe track record for rookie receivers missing their entire first season and coming back effectively the next year is not good, at least in recent memory.  I really liked the pick when we made it, now I'm not really sure, leaning toward the side of wasted pick.  Obviously I hope I'm wrong, but we haven't really seen anything positive since he was drafted.  One catch on a blown coverage and several poor (albeit more on Kirk) fade attempts, then he's gone.  

Really anu contributions next year will be extra.  We've proven to be a good enough offense without him.  Perhaps we sign Kirk and garçon to multiple year deals, and desean gets franchised?  Just for insurance?  Not sure what that hit would look like, just thinking of possible scenarios.  

We've seen what rushing a 1st round pick back from injury can do.  Clearly, we had a receiving group that could function just fine without Doctson this year.  No need to risk his health.  I'm glad we've played it safe.  He may or may not be all that we've hoped for, but I'm glad the team didn't try to push him this season.  Also, I remember a number of folk questioning Jordan Reed's willingness to work through injury.  He's proven them wrong.  Maybe he'll be Doctson's example.  Hope so.

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

No, that's not true.

Don't listen to all the bull**** being pushed here that "nobody knows what is wrong with him". He has an achilles injury. They can be very painful and very tricky.

Gallette has missed two seasons because of damaged achilles. Players have retired because of problems with the achilles tendon. Docston hasn't torn his, as far as I know, but you can damage your achilles in other ways.

If anybody complaining about Docston actually looked at how hard he worked to succeed in college (just to get noticed) and make it to the NFL, they wouldn't be accusing him of being soft and sandbagging it now.

Unfortunately, season-ending injuries happen, even to first-round selections.

Docston will be OK. We are just going to have to wait till next season to see him do his stuff. :) 

Galette has missed two seasons because of two ruptured Achilles' tendons which required two major surgeries. The surgery happened and a time table was set. No one knows what Doctson injury is and no time table is set. All we know is he's been resting for two months and still hasn't been able to run. There is no good news with Doctson at this time

44 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc  6m6 minutes ago
Often there is antecedent pain before Achilles rupture.
Why need to be careful with players like #JoshDoctson.

Dr. Chao is a GREAT follow on Twitter.

He predicted these issues for Doctson way back in June/July. This injury doesn't get better without extended rest. He was screwed from the jump.

Its premature to give up on a talent like Doctson. People were saying similar things about Jordan before 2015. Give him time to develop and learn to play through pain(if thats the issue, which I think there is at least a 50% chance it is). We're talking about a potential Dez Bryant like WR on this team.

53 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

He predicted these issues for Doctson way back in June/July. This injury doesn't get better without extended rest. He was screwed from the jump.

If a third party doctor can accurately diagnose and predict the treatment needed, why can't anyone at Redskins Park? 

They likely made the whole thing worse by having him practice so much and push toward these ridiculous resetting 2 week deadlines when he just just pushing himself harder to come back. 

It doesnt make me feel any better that the notoriously stupid medical staff of the past has improved at all. 

7 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Which calls into question the coaches and training staff that kept trying to run him out there every few weeks, well into the season.

12 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

If a third party doctor can accurately diagnose and predict the treatment needed, why can't anyone at Redskins Park? 

They likely made the whole thing worse by having him practice so much and push toward these ridiculous resetting 2 week deadlines when he just just pushing himself harder to come back. 

It doesnt make me feel any better that the notoriously stupid medical staff of the past has improved at all. 

Which is what prompted me to write in this thread or another that Redskins medical staff did a terrible job handling this. From boot one day to walking on it the next, to early return, to lack of formal diagnoses at onset. 

I got ridiculed, but now seems obvious it could have been handled better. Stronger commitment to diagnoses and management

14 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Galette has missed two seasons because of two ruptured Achilles' tendons which required two major surgeries. The surgery happened and a time table was set. No one knows what Doctson injury is and no time table is set. All we know is he's been resting for two months and still hasn't been able to run. There is no good news with Doctson at this time

The Redskins won't know what they have in Docston until next offseason's mini-camps, but right now, the only bad news is that he won't play this season.. It's silly to presume the worst in this.

I am not jumping to conclusions with this kid.  It usually takes a year or two for Receivers to make any impact.  For every Randy Moss there are 25 guys like Santana Moss, Michael Crabtree, Brandon Lloyd, or Derek Mason who switched teams at least once before they made an impact.  Jury is still WAY out on Docston, he could definitely still be a STUD despite being a DUD in 2016.

3 hours ago, illone said:

I am not jumping to conclusions with this kid.  It usually takes a year or two for Receivers to make any impact.  For every Randy Moss there are 25 guys like Santana Moss, Michael Crabtree, Brandon Lloyd, or Derek Mason who switched teams at least once before they made an impact.  Jury is still WAY out on Docston, he could definitely still be a STUD despite being a DUD in 2016.

Randy Moss actually did quite well with the Patriots after starting with the Vikings.

Archived