Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curious case of Josh Doctson M.E.T. , (3-29-17, 100%)

SWFLSkins

From what i learned, tendonOSIS requires extended rest. Real rest. Not rehab rest. Like off your feet rest.  3 to 6 months worth of rest. Physical therapy is not rest.

All you need to see that is wrong, is right here.  facepalm.gif

“Not really,” Gruden replied when asked if Doctson had made significant progress in his recovery. “I saw him running in the pool the other day, which is exciting. We’re going to take it slow with him. I think month of February, I think is very important for his progress and then we’ll see where he’s at.”

So Gruden is not seeing notable progress, after he sees him running. Josh probably needs a non team get em on the field doctor.  I really thought the timing of him going to IR coincided with the proper rest needed to be back at OTAs on time.... all optimism from that is gone. I know modern medicine dictates you get on your feet and rehab rehab rehab, but really think that is not the cure on this one. I think we have given short rest rehab its fair shake already.

Actually, rehab is exactly what he needs(unless he is on the verge of rupturing it).

Tendons are a connective tissue, you have to subject them to the proper loads for them to develop the resistance and strength you want. But you have to do it in a smart way. Much like muscle(if you load a muscle over time it gets stronger).

Eccentric movements are effective for tendinosis.  Hopefully the staff has him on the right track. That said, tendinosis doesn't resolve quickly, as that means it has already degenerated.

8 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Or maybe they just don't feel like they have to put out daily bulletins to calm the reactionary, hysterical masses.

They had no problem giving constant updates during the offseason and TC, giving us the ole " a couple of weeks away" routine that repeatedly set the poor kid up for failure 

11 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

@crabbypatty

Dont know where you are getting your info but he just started his rehab this week and everything is going well???

there was an article where they asked gruden how he was doing and here was what his response was:

On Tuesday, coach Jay Gruden said that Doctson has “not really” made any significant progress in his recovery and has not been cleared to run without restrictions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/25/february-will-be-very-important-for-josh-doctsons-progress/

so like I said, here we are months after he was shut down and he still has not made any significant progress.. so the rest was me speculating on him not being a full go at training camp based on his lack of progress so far.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

They had no problem giving constant updates during the offseason and TC, giving us the ole " a couple of weeks away" routine that repeatedly set the poor kid up for failure 

They didn't give daily briefings.  A reporter would ask about him and they would answer.

And Docston didn't "fail", whatever the heck that means. Just an unfortunate first round pick who got injured his rookie year (much like the Jaguars' pick of Fowler the year before).

**** happens. Let's try and follow Docston's example and just deal with it.

Even if/when he makes it back on the field, with an achilles this problematic, I feel it's legitimate to wonder if we'll ever see the guy we thought we drafted. 

The uncertainty of it at this juncture makes it such that there's no way you can plan this offseason counting on him to fill one of the Garcon/DJAX slots.

32 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The uncertainty of it at this juncture makes it such that there's no way you can plan this offseason counting on him to fill one of the Garcon/DJAX slots.

Absolutely agree.  I truly hope the FO has that mindset too.  The working assumption this offseason must be that Doctson will not be a contributor to this team.

If he heals and ends up contributing, great.  That would be a bonus.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

. The uncertainty of it at this juncture makes it such that there's no way you can plan this offseason counting on him to fill one of the Garcon/DJAX slots.

I would vote on bringing back either Garcon or Djax(I know that highly unlikely) just because of the problems that Doctson is having getting onto the field.

I'm no doctor, but when taking into account all factors in this situation, I can't shake the feeling that this injury is never going away... 

McClu found undrafted stud Doug Baldwin, so fingers are crossed that he can find version 2.0 in this draft.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

How can someone see so little progress on an injury in the course of almost 7 months?

I'm telling you, I think there's a good possibility of there being a mental component to this. Someone over at the Park needs to look into this if they haven't already. As you say, it makes no sense that the kid could have been resting as long as he has with pretty much zero recovery, especially considering that the doctors don't know what's wrong and can't seem to find anything to point to for what's causing these issues. I'm a big believer in this kind of thing, because I've seen it firsthand: some sort of stress or underlying mental trauma/anxiety/whatever results in real physical pain manifestations in the body that doctors can't figure out but end up being chronic. One of the pioneers in this field is Dr. John Sarno. Good article on him here:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/edwardsiedle/2012/09/26/americans-best-doctor-and-his-miracle-cures-dr-john-e-sarno/#35b99fc444c8

Worth looking at the problem from that perspective at this point.

If we can't use him next year how can we let either Garcon or Jackson go?

This is very depressing, Josh went to TCU and a friend of mine's son got to know him well (He played Select basketball and was 13) as he was his mentor, taking him to Starbucks and hanging out with him and being a really nice guy. Josh was a real cool likeable and popular guy at TCU, wonder if he just didn't adjust to DC well? Quite a diff in between these locations

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Even if we can use him this coming season he'll still basically be a rookie.

Your point is what? Lots of receivers produce as rookies. Lots don't. That depends on the player and the opportunities that are given to these men. The Vikings threw the ball one time to Laquon Treadwell all season. Michael Thomas this season caught 92 passes on the other hand. Don't get the comment, are you of the belief that all rookie wide receivers can't be productive?

I was counting on the Redskins losing at a minimum one of our two starting receivers this free agency meaning there would be plenty of opportunities to go around to Josh. But if he can't get on the field because he's a mess then those opportunities have to go somewhere else. If I'm right and we are definitely losing one of our starting receivers then who will take him place if its not Josh? Makes me wonder if we can't afford to lose one of the wide outs we have now.

4 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Your point is what? Lots of receivers produce as rookies. Lots don't. That depends on the player and the opportunities that are given to these men. The Vikings threw the ball one time to Laquon Treadwell all season. Michael Thomas this season caught 92 passes on the other hand. Don't get this comment, are you of the belief that all rookie wide receivers can't be productive?

My point is that even if they believe he will be coming back they can't assume he'll produce a whole lot in his first actual year playing and be able to take the place of a guy we lose. So IMO him coming back or not doesn't necessarily negate the need to figure out how to either get Garcon and DJax back or replace one of them with a decent alternative via FA or something. The injury history would factor in too. Even if they believe he'll be good to go, he still had an achilles tendon problem that didn't seem to get better for over 6 months. That is troubling and you'd have to take it into account.

50 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

I'm telling you, I think there's a good possibility of there being a mental component to this. Someone over at the Park needs to look into this if they haven't already. As you say, it makes no sense that the kid could have been resting as long as he has with pretty much zero recovery, especially considering that the doctors don't know what's wrong and can't seem to find anything to point to for what's causing these issues. I'm a big believer in this kind of thing, because I've seen it firsthand: some sort of stress or underlying mental trauma/anxiety/whatever results in real physical pain manifestations in the body that doctors can't figure out but end up being chronic. One of the pioneers in this field is Dr. John Sarno. Good article on him here:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/edwardsiedle/2012/09/26/americans-best-doctor-and-his-miracle-cures-dr-john-e-sarno/#35b99fc444c8

Worth looking at the problem from that perspective at this point.

Really good point and great read. 

In college, he went to Wyoming, got home sick and went to TCU (much closer to home).  We forget that these are 21-22 year old kids sometimes too.  Players have said in the past as a rookie it's easy to get intimidated by vets in a meeting room - with likes of DJax, Garcon.  I really am starting to think this is more of a mental issue than physical.  But, I'm just a guy on the couch. 

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

My point is that even if they believe he will be coming back they can't assume he'll produce a whole lot in his first actual year playing and be able to take the place of a guy we lose.

I'd bet that the plan all along was to see this very thing unfold. Scot drafted Josh in round one a year before Pierre and DeSean were set to leave to get his head in the playbook and used to the system. Obviously he didn't get the timing down with Kirk because he didn't play but we shouldn't think that he didn't learn the playbook last year. So we got half of what we needed from him last year and that should help him this season. But if he's hurt and not getting better then it really screws us for being prepared for Pierre and/or DeSean leaving. This was bad luck for Scot and I won't blame him for taking this approach even if Josh retired today.

Counting on Josh coming back is no different then counting on any other player coming back and performing coming off injury, Every team counts on players like that. I don't think they look at him this year and think "well your not gonna play much and we aren't calling your number because you missed last season" that would be stupid. Again if he can't get past step one - Stay healthy and be ready to play - then there is no step 2 for him and we probably can't afford to lose either Pierre or DeSean. This has a rippling effect on those guys I hadn't considered

8 minutes ago, 2006Skins said:

Really good point and great read. 

In college, he went to Wyoming, got home sick and went to TCU (much closer to home).  We forget that these are 21-22 year old kids sometimes too.  Players have said in the past as a rookie it's easy to get intimidated by vets in a meeting room - with likes of DJax, Garcon.  I really am starting to think this is more of a mental issue than physical.  But, I'm just a guy on the couch. 

I rarely question Scot, but if these character issues are true, then my disappointment lies with him. For a guy who only wants "football players" on the team, I don't know how this didn't raise a huge red flag. I remember reading something toward the end of camp about how he's very shy and introverted. Just doesn't seem like a Scot guy at all.

29 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I swear, ES has more doctors whose degrees and licensure are completely dependent upon whether or not they are in an RGIII/Docston thread depending on what year it is.  Can't wait to see what things are like in 2021 if we continue the four-year trend.

Heck, now that people can get the internet on their phone, suddenly everyone one is a doctor. :) 

Archived