Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curious case of Josh Doctson M.E.T. , (3-29-17, 100%)

SWFLSkins

On 1/31/2017 at 10:52 AM, bobandweave said:

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Redskins-Place-Rookie-Josh-Doctson-On-Injured-Reserve/ab96e404-792f-439e-9a98-39f67b14a5e7

That was quoted in October. Doubt you will find another one like this. I think I get the frustration from Jay Gruden. He's the coach, his job security is dependent on the players performing and Josh wasn't able to last year. Very frustrating situation for him to know that not only Josh but all of the rookies picked in 2016 didn't see much of the field.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/just-two-teams-got-fewer-snaps-their-rookies-redskins-josh-doctson-health-sua-cravens?utm_content=buffercc59b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Jay only got 800 snaps from the entire class, second worst in the league last year. That's a hell of a fall from the excitement these men had for these guys when they were drafted. It's going to cause frustration for sure. And it's completely out of Jay's hands, he is powerless about this. All he can do is the same as you and I, kick back wait and hope. For a workaholic that's like being in hell. But all we can do is kick back and wait

I have made this point most of the season, aside from one Cravens INT we got virtually NOTHING from an entire rookie class. This is not a slam on SM as many took it and I am in no way giving up on this class, including Doctson, but this really handicapped Jay. 

19 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have made this point most of the season, aside from one Cravens INT we got virtually NOTHING from an entire rookie class. This is not a slam on SM as many took it and I am in no way giving up on this class, including Doctson, but this really handicapped Jay. 

Outside of Norman, who unless we can become a much better team, last year's draft and FA was a complete failure. Best thing that happened was letting Bob go.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Outside of Norman, who unless we can become a much better team, last year's draft and FA was a complete failure. Best thing that happened was letting Bob go.

When the starting RB is an UDFA, who plays well, and the first round pick was a BPA not expected to start but to be a luxury this year, doesn't that ease the pain a bit? Obviously not yet knowing what they have in Josh makes this offseason with Pierre and DJax a dice roll, but I think it is early and harsh to judge the class as a whole. Norman is going to look even better surrounded by a few more players, Cravens flashed and could be a starter at safety next year and Fuller was not as bad as some, I think he was the biggest victim of how Barry schemed and used his corners. Wildcard is of course Doctson.

And... don't forget that Crowder the year before was probably the best day three pick for this team since Bobby B. was drafting players for Gibbs and JKC.

1 hour ago, TheCoach22 said:

When the starting RB is an UDFA, who plays well, and the first round pick was a BPA not expected to start but to be a luxury this year, doesn't that ease the pain a bit? Obviously not yet knowing what they have in Josh makes this offseason with Pierre and DJax a dice roll, but I think it is early and harsh to judge the class as a whole. Norman is going to look even better surrounded by a few more players, Cravens flashed and could be a starter at safety next year and Fuller was not as bad as some, I think he was the biggest victim of how Barry schemed and used his corners. Wildcard is of course Doctson.

And... don't forget that Crowder the year before was probably the best day three pick for this team since Bobby B. was drafting players for Gibbs and JKC.

I'm not talking about two years ago. I'm talking last year. Outside of Norman,  Davis was good for half a year and fell off and that's all we did. We had the second lowest starts for draft picks on a team loaded with holes. 

I still think this year is the year it changes and we fix a lot of it, but if Scot scrapes the bottom of FA and then out smarts himself in the draft again, we're done.

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not talking about two years ago. I'm talking last year. Outside of Norman,  Davis was good for half a year and fell off and that's all we did. We had the second lowest starts for draft picks on a team loaded with holes. 

I still think this year is the year it changes and we fix a lot of it, but if Scot scrapes the bottom of FA and then out smarts himself in the draft again, we're done.

I really, really believe we sat on cap money and didn't draft D early last offseason with an eye on this offseason. I would be utterly shocked if we weren't major players in FA and committed to the front 7 in what is considered a deep draft on the DL.

Midmorning brainfart... Davis? I am totally blanking.

Doctson situation was straight weird. Surprised that Pierre says he has heard nothing from the Skins, he is certainly a Scot type of player. If they truly let both starters walk, Josh has to be HUGE this year. (I also have a feeling we are going to sign Britt).

1 hour ago, TheCoach22 said:

I really, really believe we sat on cap money and didn't draft D early last offseason with an eye on this offseason. I would be utterly shocked if we weren't major players in FA and committed to the front 7 in what is considered a deep draft on the DL.

Midmorning brainfart... Davis? I am totally blanking.

Doctson situation was straight weird. Surprised that Pierre says he has heard nothing from the Skins, he is certainly a Scot type of player. If they truly let both starters walk, Josh has to be HUGE this year. (I also have a feeling we are going to sign Britt).

I think we're going to be very active in FA this year. We also have 9 picks as of now. I can see that number growing. I dont think Garcon is coming back, because he'll be offered more elsewhere and Djax is gone. Vernon Davis. Doctson is a complete let down, which means we've got on one player in the first two rounds barely at all in the last 5 years. That hurts. Baker is really the only holdover I'm routing for. I'm happy with the big shake up on defense. 

59 minutes ago, TheCoach22 said:

This says enough to me. Scot always loves to give quote like "if you prove you can play I will pay you" "I will take care of important players". 

He didnt contacted Garcon but went with Chris Baker to a Caps game. What I read from that is that he doesn't care about Garcon. 

From the outside it looks to me that Scot might be a little bit to straight of a shooter. If he likes you, he will take care of you. If he is not a fan, you will know it too. 

2 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

This says enough to me. Scot always loves to give quote like "if you prove you can play I will pay you" "I will take care of important players". 

He didnt contacted Garcon but went with Chris Baker to a Caps game. What I read from that is that he doesn't care about Garcon. 

From the outside it looks to me that Scot might be a little bit to straight of a shooter. If he likes you, he will take care of you. If he is not a fan, you will know it too. 

A year ago it would have been justified to say Garcon wasn't in the plans, he'd been mediocre for a few seasons... but dude was huge last year. You can make a case for DJax being a speed guy on the wrong side of 30 and letting him test the market, but of Scot is of the opinion there is too much $ tied up in WR, he should have signed his QB by now. Even if Josh burst into scene with 1200 yards next season, we need another guy so why not Pierre?

2 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

He didnt contacted Garcon but went with Chris Baker to a Caps game. What I read from that is that he doesn't care about Garcon

just maybe.....Pierre doesnt like hockey?

as fans in the off season we get restless if news doesnt flow fast enough. as outlets become fewer and less active we tend to focus in more on our "go to" sources, like ES. if our immediate needs arent satiated we seem to start seeing shadows everywhere as well as filling in informational gaps with supposition and conjecture. which in turn feeds on itself, sometimes exponentially.

being from the last generation that will remember WAITING for sports news, whether it was the morning paper, the nightly news or the ground breaking George Michael Sports Machine we (for better or worse) believed more of what we received and didnt experience the "fill in the blank" theories and hypotheses that exist in the current twitter universe. it has reached the point where some of us fans are spending more time per day focused on free agency and individual player contracts than the player, agent and team officials are.

I guess my point is that we study it constantly, we talk about and break it down infinitesimally, they actually live it. the off season is long and waiting is boring so we add in "what ifs" and "must means" almost instinctually. not every second of an interview, tweet, article, or soundbite mean something or bear any importance whatsoever. examining them ad nauseam wont change that fact. 

or, i could just be bored at work on an unexpected Saturday.

14 hours ago, tomwvr said:

I had heard it on a National Sports Talk show when they were discussing Free agents for NFC east teams. Cant remember what show.

So you heard a guy, that heard a guy.

I mean, sure, makes sense. Pretty no brainerish really. But still.

Garcon has repeatedly said prior to this year he goes where the money is. Hes old and expensive. Good for him being clutch in a contract year. We know his cieling as a player and if hes looking to cash in, too bad.

The team also just started talking about our pending FAs, so of course he hasn't heard anything. Let's wait until after todays game.

12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

So you heard a guy, that heard a guy.

I mean, sure, makes sense. Pretty no brainerish really. But still.

Garcon has repeatedly said prior to this year he goes where the money is. Hes old and expensive. Good for him being clutch in a contract year. We know his cieling as a player and if hes looking to cash in, too bad.

The team also just started talking about our pending FAs, so of course he hasn't heard anything. Let's wait until after todays game.

No I heard a sports reporter on a national show. Seemed to be pretty specific feedback, in the same report they were saying they expected DJax was most likely to be back in Philly and that the team was going to only resign 4-5 of the other free agents they have - I remember them mentioning Davis and Baker.

7 hours ago, tomwvr said:

No I heard a sports reporter on a national show. Seemed to be pretty specific feedback, in the same report they were saying they expected DJax was most likely to be back in Philly and that the team was going to only resign 4-5 of the other free agents they have - I remember them mentioning Davis and Baker.

Yeah. Sports reporter is guess work keep back.

They started discussing FA, been in house,  3 days agot

BPA, imma fix the lines. He started to, sure.

BPA our WRs around leaving

BPA in front seven draft. We get one in the 6th (glad we didn't take billings)

As I recall, Doctson has a typical 1st round pick type of contract -- with about $9 million guaranteed ($5 million of that is the signing bonus).  If his tendon issues continue to prevent him from playing for the Skins -- is there a possibilty of an injury-settlement for less than that amount of guaranteed money?

I ask, because it's not clear whether anything with Doctson's health situation has been improving.  And if his same problems linger, figuring out what to do with Josh (active roster, IR, release) would seem to impact the Skins roster and their salary cap situation.

Wouldn't releasing Doctson would trigger the sizable Cap Hit?  And if the alternative is stashing him on IR, even that would seem to cost the franchise around $2 million for someone who never sees the field.  Or do the Skins coaches cross their fingers, save a roster spot for him, and hope he can play?

Just curious what the Skins' options might be -- because I've not read anything positive about Doctson's chances for a quick return to the elite form and capabilities anticipated of him as a Redskin.

25 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

As I recall, Doctson has a typical 1st round pick type of contract -- with about $9 million guaranteed ($5 million of that is the signing bonus).  If his tendon issues continue to prevent him from playing for the Skins -- is there a possibilty of an injury-settlement for less than that amount of guaranteed money?

I ask, because it's not clear whether anything with Doctson's health situation has been improving.  And if his same problems linger, figuring out what to do with Josh (active roster, IR, release) would seem to impact the Skins roster and their salary cap situation.

Wouldn't releasing Doctson would trigger the sizable Cap Hit?  And if the alternative is stashing him on IR, even that would seem to cost the franchise around $2 million for someone who never sees the field.  Or do the Skins coaches cross their fingers, save a roster spot for him, and hope he can play?

Just curious what the Skins' options might be -- because I've not read anything positive about Doctson's chances for a quick return to the elite form and capabilities anticipated of him as a Redskin.

I believe guaranteed money is guaranteed money. There is no injury settlement. The CBA prevents teams from releasing an injured player even if their contract is not guaranteed. While it does not address guaranteed contracts, but here is better overall explanation than I can provide with a few good examples: http://overthecap.com/what-exactly-are-injury-settlements/

As for Josh, all but $600k of his $10M contract is guaranteed. If they release him this year or next, it would cost them more CAP than if he stays on IR. Here are his contract terms: http://overthecap.com/player/josh-doctson/4735/

It is entirely too early to be talking about giving up on Josh. It's the end of the first season. They will give him a full 3 yrs to develop. Releasing him is not a decision they will even entertain until after the 2018 season. Even then, it's only a $600k CAP savings so why not give him a chance unless you absolutely know he cannot play?

Thanks Goskins10.  The sad part is, the longer Josh stays on IR, the less time the Skins have to determine whether Doctson's WR talents are good enough to successfully compete versus NFL defenses.  Usually, it seems to take 2-3 years before it's clear how well a WR is going to fare in the NFL.

I too am hoping Doctson's health allows him return to active status in 2017, so the Skins can find out whether he can be a bona fide top-tier WR "threat" for their offense.  Right now, they have very little game film to guide their determination.

The types of routes we saw Garcon running this season indicates to me that they were drawn up with Doctson in mind.  

Because he wasn't available Garcon stepped in as the backup and benefitted.   But going forward I think this season was designed to fade Garcon out and replace his production with Doctson.

Archived