Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curious case of Josh Doctson M.E.T. , (3-29-17, 100%)

SWFLSkins

16 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Djax and Garcon make a combined $20M this season. Both Midrange #2 guys.  Both in contract years.  I can see offering Garcon something like 3/$10M.  I would let DJax walk.  Of course if you want to let both walk and join the Terrell Pryor lottery, I am all in there.

Here's what CAN'T happen if you let DJax walk: The answer can not be Ryan Grant.  The biggest issue when DJax is out because of injury is that Grant plays more.  If Doctson is healthy and ready to step up, great.  If not, you've got to find another solution, (assuming that they re-sign Garcon).

If Grant lines up as a starter, the offense takes 10 steps backwards. 

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Here's what CAN'T happen if you let DJax walk: The answer can not be Ryan Grant.  The biggest issue when DJax is out because of injury is that Grant plays more.  If Doctson is healthy and ready to step up, great.  If not, you've got to find another solution, (assuming that they re-sign Garcon).

If Grant lines up as a starter, the offense takes 10 steps backwards. 

Grant is this team's James Thrash.  As long he is on the team you do not have a complete WR corp.  He is like a booger that the Skins can't shake off.

29 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@Voice_of_Reason I would agree with that. I can't really picture a scenario where Grant gets that role. If he's even on the team in 2017, it will still be as a backup. I would assume we'd see Garcon, Crowder, and Doctson getting most of the snaps with Harris and Ross rotating in. 

He had that role 2 games ago when DJax was out.  Doctson is MIA, and until otherwise proven differently, I don't think you can count on him.

My point is that you can't say, "Yeah, Crowder and Reed are great, Garcon is fine, we have lots of weapons, it will be ok.Grant can be serviceable"

Because he's not, it won't be, and it allows the defense to put 1 guy on Grant and eliminate him from the game, and then clog up the middle where Reed and Crowder live. 

They NEED a guy who can attract safety coverage on the outside.  Garcon generally doesn't, DJax does.  Grant could be covered by a used Kleenex. 

31 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Grant is this team's James Thrash.  As long he is on the team you do not have a complete WR corp.  He is like a booger that the Skins can't shake off.

Thrash was a whole lot better than Grant. 

He's more like Reed Doughty.  Always in the right place, never athletic enough to make a difference. 

57 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Thrash from what I recall in one season had the least drops on the team granted with a limited number of throws.  Stud on special teams.  I recall he was one of Gibbs' favorite players on the team.  I'd love for Grant to be Thrash.

Is Vernon Davis playing on a 1 year contract? I'd definitely try to get him re-upped for maybe 2 more seasons (and then we'll see how much he has left in the tank after). 

When it comes to DJax vs. Garcon. I don't think we can keep both.  I think we have seen a little bit of a resurgence in why he was brought here in the first place. He is tough, gritty, and makes the difficult catches in traffic.  Jackson despite getting close to 30, still has the game breaking speed and quickness to kill a defense over the top.  

From what I have seen, Garcon, Crowder, and even Doctson in his limited time were able to get behind a defense, so if you ask me who the odd man out is, it's the guy who doesn't bring the other qualities to the table. 

Ross and Grant are in the same boat. Ross has speed, Grant can block, but neither has contributed anything positive to this team. 

On the other hand, I already trust Mo Harris. Lately he's been targeted more and just about everyone has been tough and/or clutch, and he's caught them all.

Going into this season, I wanted to re-sign DJax and let Garcon walk. Now, I feel the opposite. Sure, I'd love to keep both, but I think DJax will command $26/3 and Garcon will command $17/3. It sounds like a lot, but this will be their last "big" contracts and that is what they'll get. Unless DJax takes a discount, let him walk and sign up Pierre "Mr. Clutch" Garcon. This offense is so strong that I don't think we need the speedster threat to be efficient. 

2 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

At least Thrash played hard and was decent on special teams.  Grant has no redeeming qualities that I can think of.

For right now, Grant is not Thrash.

Thrash was not a great athlete nor did he have elite talent, but the man had heart, and drive. He did contribute to the teams he played on with catches and yards and good plays.

Grant has done nothing. Certainly not this season.

In 2016, calling Grant "Thrash" is an insult to James Thrash. :) 

19 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Djax and Garcon make a combined $20M this season. Both Midrange #2 guys.  Both in contract years.  I can see offering Garcon something like 3/$10M.  I would let DJax walk.  Of course if you want to let both walk and join the Terrell Pryor lottery, I am all in there.

Pryor, Reed, Crowder, VD, Doctson, Harris ?

As unstoppable as that sounds, I don't see GMSM going that direction. I do think we spend money in FA, but on the defensive side of the ball

29 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

As unstoppable as that sounds, I don't see GMSM going that direction. I do think we spend money in FA, but on the defensive side of the ball

I see harris stepping up big time and taking over grants role of misc. wr. but also has height that we can exploit in the red zone and in the middle with or without garcon.

also regarding whom said pryor. I wouldn't mind, however, if a legit dt is available I would rather spend the money there and still look to beep up the d line.

59 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Doctson is still a ?, Garcon and DJax are FA, WR is a huge concern.  I agree that SM would prefer to spend on defense, but the savings on Garcon and Djax = making a play for a WR.

6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Doctson is still a ?, Garcon and DJax are FA, WR is a huge concern.  I agree that SM would prefer to spend on defense, but the savings on Garcon and Djax = making a play for a WR.

He is more than a question mark. Do we have any idea if he is even any good when healthy?  He looks like the next Comb to me.

9 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

He is more than a question mark. Do we have any idea if he is even any good when healthy?  He looks like the next Comb to me.

Not sure whether his talent level even matters anymore.  I cannot remember a rookie panning out after sitting out his entire rookie season with a non-contact injury.

16 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

i wouldn't put him up there with malcomb; however, his health and anything regarding an achillies is serious. major question marks arise and will persist with this situation. I hope for us and more so, for josh's future that everything will pan out and he wil be the stud we saw at tcu.

additionally, just reading up on the guy, he seems very humble and hardworking.  he is the anti diva, and is a very determined person.

18 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

If Cousins is the real deal (and I believe he is with Jay Gruden's offense) then even without Jackson and Garcin, there are enough of offensive weapons with Reed, VD, Crowder, Doctson (unproven) and a value WR addition for him to be successful as long as our offensive line continues to protect as it has.  In the draft we need to take a flyer on a boom or bust talent for offensive weapons since we don't need them to contribute right away and replenish that way...

Its time to add some talent and speed on the defensive side of the ball with our high draft picks and FA money 

Ryan Grant is about to turn 26 years old and is basically a developed prospect at this point.  It's time to move on.

Grant has caught just 4 passes on 13 targets this season, for a catch rate of 30.8%.  In terms of catch rate, his best season was 2015 when he put up a 54.8% catch rate, good for the second worst on the team (Andre Roberts marginally worse at 52.4%).  He had the worst catch rate on the team in 2014 as well (46.7%, which was lower than Roberts' 49.3%).  Besides Grant and Roberts, no other player (including TEs and RBs) in Gruden/McVay's system has posted a catch rate worse than 60% other than Jackson (58.9% in 2014) except for Josh Doctson and Robert Kelley (both of whom have a combined 7 targets, so not really enough sample size).  The degree of difficulty for Jackson makes his lower catch rate more than worth it.  Grant is working against opposing #4/5 CBs on mostly short routes, so you'd expect a significantly higher catch rate.

You have to go back to 2011 to find a Redskins WR with a worse catch rate on at least 13 targets than the 30.8% that Grant has posted this year.  The 2011 receiver was Anthony Armstrong, who came crashing down to earth in 2011 with a horrific 25.9% catch rate on 27 targets.  Other than Armstrong, you have to go back to Jacquez Green in 2002 to find a WR with equal or greater volume of targets but worse catch rate than Grant's 30.8%.  Malcomb Kelly came close in 2008 but came in with only 11 targets.

Of the 426 players who have caught at least 1 pass this year, just 6 players have a worse catch rate than Grant's 30.8% (Devin Street, Randall Telfer, Alfred Blue, Aaron Burbridge, Tyler Higbee, and Logan Paulsen).  Of those players only Higbee has been targeted more than Grant.

It's time to officially shut him down.

On 11/28/2016 at 3:38 PM, TimmySmith said:

Beat me to it, less the booger part.

He is the modern day James Thrash. Our only WR on the field inside the 10. Scaring exactly no one. And just like then, likely our tallest WR. And still not tall. Mo and his handful of snaps, aside. 

Archived