Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curious case of Josh Doctson M.E.T. , (3-29-17, 100%)

SWFLSkins

I think we do need Josh, the guy has only played a few snaps and immediately made an impact play for 52 yards against Dallas.

Nobody wants to throw to midgets in the end zone and with Jordan and Desean banged up our depth could be eliminated in a heartbeat.

Kirk had to throw a red zone ball to Grant on Thursday, that's not going to get results.

5 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

I think we do need Josh, the guy has only played a few snaps and immediately made an impact play fo 52 yards against Dallas.

Nobody wants to throw to midgets in the end zone and with Jordan and Desean banged up our depth could be eliminated in a heartbeat.

Kirk had to throw a red zone ball to Grant on Thursday, that's not going to get results.

Be serious. He can't even practice yet. He's not even close to being in game shape and he's had basically zero time actually running his routes. You do however have a 6'3 WR that has looked quite good since he got called up in Maurice Harris. You also have Vernon Davis who is also 6'3 and has been balling out this year. You don't need to try to get him on the field when he is neither physically nor mentally ready.

And Grant should be cut.

15 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

I think we do need Josh, the guy has only played a few snaps and immediately made an impact play fo 52 yards against Dallas.

Mo Harris. 

On 11/22/2016 at 3:09 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I commented on this in a thread about McCloughan.   Long story short I won an auction over a week ago to meet and have lunch with Scot.  I described it in detail on the McCloughan thread but specific to Doctson -- I'd guess Scot's frustration centers on how good he thinks Doctson will be and how much he can contribute so this is a missed opportunity.  To quote him, he said Doctson = Dez Bryant.   He said he hid the injury from the team and it got worse -- the dude is a quiet type but he wants to play and big time.  He also told me that the achilles injury will heel -- no concerns about it being chronic. 

Sure and Matt Jones = Lynch :ols:

On 11/22/2016 at 1:39 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I commented on this in a thread about McCloughan.   Long story short I won an auction over a week ago to meet and have lunch with Scot.  I described it in detail on the McCloughan thread but specific to Doctson -- I'd guess Scot's frustration centers on how good he thinks Doctson will be and how much he can contribute so this is a missed opportunity.  To quote him, he said Doctson = Dez Bryant.   He said he hid the injury from the team and it got worse -- the dude is a quiet type but he wants to play and big time.  He also told me that the achilles injury will heel -- no concerns about it being chronic. 

This Pun is no Fun, but had to be pointed out regardless. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

With Reed's injury, I'd like to see if Doctson can make a comeback. I mean, there is nobody else to use the IR designated to return tag.

There is no designation to return anymore.  You're just allowed to bring one player back from IR.  It was so stupid to have to predict which player would possibly be coming back in two months.

Jay likes Kory, but I'm with you in hoping it would be Doctson.

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sure and Jamison Crowder = stud :ols:

. . . oh wait.

My biggest concern is if this coaching staff has seen enough from this kid to know that he is a good starter next year.  If not then if I were Gruden I would love to see him play a couple of games this year just to see what we have because we know Djax or Garcon or both are gone next year.  

I like Mo Harris.  He's solid and a great story.  But to try to use him to make an apples to apples comparison to Doctson is insane.  Doctson's gloves probably have more talent than Harris.  

I hope he's healthy and we get to bring him back.  He's gonna be a monster and I'd like to see him make some plays before next season.  

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

There is no designation to return anymore.  You're just allowed to bring one player back from IR.  It was so stupid to have to predict which player would possibly be coming back in two months.

Jay likes Kory, but I'm with you in hoping it would be Doctson.

Yeah thats what I meant. We haven't used ours yet. There really isn't anyone else worth using it on so might as well use it on Doctson if he's healthy. We gotta at least see something in him to help our decision reg. Garcon and Jackson as well.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Niles Paul is Shannon Sharpe.

You want another dumb comparison?

Oh KB13, only you could be out of context on your own post. ;)

You said that McCloughan compared Matt Jones to Marshawn Lynch, which he did (or at least I think he did?).  I was just pointing out that he also said that Crowder was going to be really good, had to pound the table for him, and he was right.  Ya miss some but make a lot.

At least there's no more of that guy who was furious about our defense in the GB@WAS gameday thread.  Said something like, "McCloughan sucks, hasn't done ANYTHING for this defense through the draft!"  And he was serious.

1 hour ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Why would we bring Lichensteiger back from IR???

Agreed.  Just was said in a recent presser when asked about who could come back.  He immediately went to Kory and then later mentioned Docston.  Of course you can read into it too much like I do and take that as meaning that Gruden wants to marry Kory and have Docston on the side if Kory's okay with that.

. . . and good night.  Note to self, don't type on melatonin; hits harder than previously thought!

22 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Be serious. He can't even practice yet. He's not even close to being in game shape and he's had basically zero time actually running his routes. You do however have a 6'3 WR that has looked quite good since he got called up in Maurice Harris. You also have Vernon Davis who is also 6'3 and has been balling out this year. You don't need to try to get him on the field when he is neither physically nor mentally ready.

And Grant should be cut.

I don't think any normal person would put an injured rookie on the field but Doctson had chronic pain.  Now that we isolated the area for 2 months and the boot is off, in theory he should be good to go after taking a couple weeks to get into shape, the boot came off a couple weeks ago.

56 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

I don't think any normal person would put an injured rookie on the field but Doctson had chronic pain.  Now that we isolated the area for 2 months and the boot is off, in theory he should be good to go after taking a couple weeks to get into shape, the boot came off a couple weeks ago.

I say screw it, his rookie year is a wash, let him heal up and see what he can do next year and find another WR in the draft. I trust Scot's reaction when he broke his hand/wrist when he heard the news about his injury. It was obviously something he didn't like and who knows if we'll be able to trust the kid to contribute to the team at all and if this is going to bother him throughout his career. Then again it could be something that just affects this season alone.

1 hour ago, jschuck12001 said:

But in reality he's going to need to strength train to get his one leg back up to par before he can start trying to get into shape, because he's been in a boot for months. Then, he's going to have to get up to speed on the practice field. He's not going to be ready in a couple weeks, and we're already in week 11. If you want to be smart, you see what you have in M. Harris the rest of the way, as he is a very similar type WR and see if he is a real NFL option, seeing as he has had a full offseason, is in game shape, and has been practicing all year.

On 11/27/2016 at 10:55 AM, Koolblue13 said:

The quote was "poor man's" Lynch.  Meaning Scot said right from the outset he's not as good as Lynch.   The Lynch comparison I'd gather is his size.  Jones is obviously a big dude for a RB.   Scot didn't call Doctson to me as a poor man's Dez Bryant -- he said he is Dez Bryant meaning in his mind they ultimately are in the same league.  Bigger complement than "poor mans" :) 

While I am thinking about it, I did ask Scot when I met with him about Kelley and he compared his upside to Chris Ivory.    I notice some angst about the Jones pick.  Not sure what people expect from a late third round pick.  Lynch for example was a high first round pick.  Matt Jones was the 31st pick in the 3rd, just a stone's throw away from the 4th round.   Yeah sometimes you hit gold with a 3rd or 4th rounder which is the range we are talking about here but the odds aren't even close to being in your favor.  Judging by the stats below if we settled on Jones at worse as being a decent backup, a depth guy -- then judging by the success rate stats below -- the Jones pick wasn't a miss.   The dude has put up 100 yards multiple times, which doesn't to me summarize a guy who is a bust.   Maybe he's just a depth guy and if so that's a normal find at the pick he was selected at.  And if Scot found potentially a better option in Kelley -- IMO who cares how the sausage is made, just find us a good RB...and if you get there in the end I don't care about how I got to the destination.     

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

• There is a very high bust rate for RBs. The first round gives you a 58% chance of finding a starter followed by 25% in the second, 16% in the third, 11% in the fourth, 9% in the fifth, 6% in the sixth and 0% in the 7th.
  • If you rank the rounds by the total RBs drafted you find that the greatest number are drafted in the 7th, followed by the 4th, 6th, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, and 5th.

If you want a stud RB, they are likely to come from the first round. If you are looking for depth, the fourth round seems to be the place to go. 

We have a logjam at WR (and Ryan Grant), so I wouldn't rush to bring Doctson back. Honestly, unless something drastically changes, who would he take snaps away from? We have Garcon playing great, Jackson being effective deep, Crowder dominating the slot, and Harris coming up with a couple big catches when others are covered. When you also factor in Thompson and Davis catching passes (assuming Reed needs to sit for a week or two), I don't know why you'd bring in someone who's hardly practiced. 

The only dynamic we really haven't seen much is throwing a quick pass to a WR and watching them turn 10 yards into 50 yards. Crowder has done it once or twice, but that used to be one Jackson's strengths. I don't have any way of knowing if that's even something Doctson could help with. Let the kid rest up, maybe practice a little, and be ready to contribute next year. I'd love next year to look like this:

Garcon, Crowder, Doctson, Harris, Ross

17 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We have a logjam at WR (and Ryan Grant), so I wouldn't rush to bring Doctson back. Honestly, unless something drastically changes, who would he take snaps away from? We have Garcon playing great, Jackson being effective deep, Crowder dominating the slot, and Harris coming up with a couple big catches when others are covered. When you also factor in Thompson and Davis catching passes (assuming Reed needs to sit for a week or two), I don't know why you'd bring in someone who's hardly practiced. 

The only dynamic we really haven't seen much is throwing a quick pass to a WR and watching them turn 10 yards into 50 yards. Crowder has done it once or twice, but that used to be one Jackson's strengths. I don't have any way of knowing if that's even something Doctson could help with. Let the kid rest up, maybe practice a little, and be ready to contribute next year. I'd love next year to look like this:

The red zone. Doctson is a big body who can jump. With Reed out our RZ issues will be even more exposed. Jackson and Crowder are both small, even Garcon isn't that big(though he plays bigger than his size).

18 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I like Mo Harris.  He's solid and a great story.  But to try to use him to make an apples to apples comparison to Doctson is insane.  Doctson's gloves probably have more talent than Harris.  

I hope he's healthy and we get to bring him back.  He's gonna be a monster and I'd like to see him make some plays before next season.  

90% of Success is showing up......... Look not comparing Mo to Doc, just saying they should use Mo in the RZ like they would Doc. 

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The red zone. Doctson is a big body who can jump. With Reed out our RZ issues will be even more exposed. Jackson and Crowder are both small, even Garcon isn't that big(though he plays bigger than his size).

Thus my Mo Harris comment. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I am with this but if I had to pick one I'd go with D. Jax over Garcon.  D. Jax seems to be an X factor on the field where even when he isn't getting the ball -- he is often occupying a safety which helps open the rest of the field for guys like Crowder and Reed.  I like Garcon, too but I think D. Jax brings a different skill set that's more unique. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am with this but if I had to pick one I'd go with D. Jax over Garcon.  D. Jax seems to be an X factor on the field where even when he isn't getting the ball -- he is often occupying a safety which helps open the rest of the field for guys like Crowder and Reed.  I like Garcon, too but I think D. Jax brings a different skill set that's more unique. 

That's where I was at before the season started, but I've been scared away from giving Jackson another contract. I think he's slowly deteriorating and I think Garcon's style has more longevity. 

27 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's where I was at before the season started, but I've been scared away from giving Jackson another contract. I think he's slowly deteriorating and I think Garcon's style has more longevity. 

TD,

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Garcon has been critical in extending drives even if he doesn't have the home run potential of DJax. He's a great compliment to the rest of the receiving/TE corps and should be kept, if possible, over DJax this offseason.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Djax and Garcon make a combined $20M this season. Both Midrange #2 guys.  Both in contract years.  I can see offering Garcon something like 3/$10M.  I would let DJax walk.  Of course if you want to let both walk and join the Terrell Pryor lottery, I am all in there.

Archived