Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How long or far are you willing to commute?

Springfield

Once, before I career switched to be a teacher and a five minute commute, It took me two hours each way from Fredericksburg to Pax River NAS. Four hours a day. Let's just say that didn't last long at all... GS-13 / over 100K be damned.

I worked for a company called National Systems Management from 94-98. We were based in Annendale, but had to move to Pax River NAS. We procured missile and aircraft contracts for the Navy. I worked with about 7-10 people who would make that commute from Fredricksburg in our company van.

I have a 10 minute walk to work in DC. I find it worthwhile to pay extra to live close to work. I find the best perk of a short commute that I am insanely more productive when I get in. In the morning I have ample time to wake up and work out. After work, I can come home, cook, socialize with friends and then still have an extra 1-2 hours each night to work on a side project that I'm doing. Those 2 hours I gain to work on my side project is likely going to be pay off within the coming years. IMO I'm well on my way to being self employed down the line if things go well. I would likely be the grumpiest person alive if I had to spend 2 hours a day sitting in traffic and driving.

Boom.  I work 6:00 - 2:30. Leave the house at 5:20 when the roads are still dead, and I get off at 2:30, well before traffic picks up.  It still takes me 25-30 minutes though because I live so far out.  But it feels much better flying at 70+ all the way home than stuck in rush hour traffic 

Ain't nothing like cruising down the high way with no traffic at 2:30 on a Friday afternoon before all hell breaks lose.  Get home watch the news traffic report and see that there is a 10 mile back up at the tunnel.  That's when I chief an L for the poor souls stuck in that madness.

30 minutes total time door to door, public transportation preferred.

I just turned down a job offer that would've haven given me a better schedule and a raise because the commute would've have been at least 1 hour probably closer to 90 minutes with 2 hours not being unreasonable. I can't go back to that, not for anything. It makes my blood boil sitting on a highway. Just remember kids, you're not stuck in traffic, you ARE traffic.

Ain't nothing like cruising down the high way with no traffic at 2:30 on a Friday afternoon before all hell breaks lose.  Get home watch the news traffic report and see that there is a 10 mile back up at the tunnel.  That's when I chief an L for the poor souls stuck in that madness.

Yes! @ this entire post, 'specially that last part.   :blink:

"peeewwwwwwwwwwmmmmmmm"  <~~~~  that's the sound of us on the highway.

I do just under an hour each way.  I'd really rather not.  But the problem in Atl is school districts.  Didn't want to send our 2 kids to private school, because it's literally the cost of a second house.  We were priced out of the few places with a short commute and good public schools.  They're in short supply and high demand.  To get to good schools with affordable houses, you have to get into suburbs.  

So in the tradeoff between schools and commute, commute lost.  It bites into the family life for sure, but I can leave at 5:15-5:30 and be home in time for dinner with the kids.  I'm used to it now.  Listen to podcasts.  And it's mostly surface streets with distance but not much traffic.  

I work retail. Used to work at 1 store 5 minutes from home. Went to a different store 35 minutes (just under 30 miles) away for 2 promotions and the subsequent raises in the last 2 years. Still trying to get back to the store that's 5 minutes from home.

And this is in Western PA, when I grew up just outside the Beltway and know that 30 miles there can sometimes be over an hour commute. I've gotten a little spoiled on the lack of traffic up here.  :lol:

I've had to commute 2.5 hours for work....hated it, but at least there was no traffic. I then commuted 45 mins to work. That's not a big deal especially if there's no traffic. My commute now is dependant on traffic. I would much rather commute 45 mins with no traffic then 25 mins with white knuckle, steam coming out of my ears traffic because some ****ing asshole has to slow down to a crawl going over a bridge...

Seriously people it's a ****ing bridge....there's no need to slam on your brakes because there's water below you...

Seriously people it's a ****ing bridge....there's no need to slam on your brakes because there's water below you...

How 'bout the dumbasses on the Beltway, they come around the bend and there's sunshine and they slam on the brakes. Hey idiots, you drive this route everyday for years on end, the bend is always in the same place, the sun is (relatively) always in the same place. Be prepared for it. 

How 'bout the dumbasses on the Beltway, they come around the bend and there's sunshine and they slam on the brakes. Hey idiots, you drive this route everyday for years on end, the bend is always in the same place, the sun is (relatively) always in the same place. Be prepared for it.

EXACTLY!!!!!

I hate them ****ers

I currently have about a 25-30 minute commute, and that is fine with me. Lets me clear my head and think about what I have to do when I get in the office. I think I would be fine with a 45 minute commute or so, but I would not want to go much longer than that. 

I live in Charlotte now, but I lived in Gaithersburg previously. I was working in Bethesda, and it did not take me long to realize that I could not do that for very long. My commute was at least an hour each way and was usually more than that. I am a single guy, but I was just spending too much time in the car.

So now my commute is much shorter, my work hours are more flexible, and I am a much happier person with a lot more free time.  

Yep. I had never heard of "sun delays" until I had to drive the Beltway every day. I understand being surprised by it the first time, but not every single day. That kind of stuff is why I am no longer a resident of metropolitan DC.  

Yup we moved away too in large part because of traffic. I was in Arlington, then fiancee was in Owings Mills. We could've "compromised" on something like Columbia and had an hour commute each or move to either and had one with a "short" commute and the other with a super-long one. We decided to move. We're happy with our short commutes—7 miles, no traffic. 

I haven't worked out the exact formula, but there's a sliding scale for me; the more money, the longer I'm willing to commute.

That being said, I lean towards shorter commutes over more money.

There's also the factor of current commutes and lower earnings contributing towards greater earnings down the road (experience, basically), but again, leaning towards shorter commutes.

When I interned at the Pentagon and came from Reston via bus, it was a solid hour from my door to my desk, and back again.  Add in a half hour lunch and that's 10.5 hours for 8 hours of work.  Comparing that to when I spent a summer in Herndon, which was 10-15 minutes down the road, tops, and it was night and day.  9 hours from home to home vs. 10.5?  Way too nice of a difference for me to not take heavily into account for the future.

That being said, I'm at a point in my life where I can sorta move to my job (within reason in the NoVA/DC area), as opposed to being settled and needing to find something in a circle emanating from my house.

As far as I'm concerned, the one thing you can never have enough of is free time.  

I don't care how small your hourse/apartment is.  You can put two (or even three) kids in one bedroom, you can convert your basement into a crappy little extra bedroom, you can do something to make it work pretty much where ever you live.   Kids will adapt and you can too.  Who cares about a bigger house and a bigger yard that you rarely get to use?  

There are 24 hours in a day.  You spend 8-10 of them working and 8 or so sleeping.   That leaves 6-8 hours left for all other purposes.   If you have a 90 minute commute, you just chose to spend nearly half of your free hours sitting in traffic, every single working day.

To me, that 20 minute commute Springfield currently has is gold.  Pure gold.  If his employer is reasonable, he will be able to get out to see his kids' soccer games and school plays.  He will be able to have dinner with them, and do all sorts of stuff with them.  Chances are, the Fairfax County schools where he is are very good.  Why would you ever give that up just for a bigger house?

I understand some people disagree, and I respect their opinion, but for me it's a no-brainer.   If you live close to your job, don't move.  Period.    

So this is somewhat about me, but I'd love your opinions as well.

I'm ready for the next step in my life. Another kid, which will require a bigger house. As my wife and I put it, we are ready for a "forever home". The problem is, Fairfax county is outrageously priced when compared to Prince William county.

So I could buy something further away from work but it would turn a 20 minute commute into something closer to 1 hour. I don't know how I feel about commuting an hour to and from work. I already work 10 hour days and 2 hours of commuting every day would kill my family life.

So how far do you all commute? What do you consider reasonable?

Million dollar question my man.  When I did drive into work initially, it was around a 35-40 min commute going in and around 45 mins coming home, until the last three years, then coming home got to be around an hour and 15 mins up to 2 hours (depending on wrecks).  I did that for 10 years.

Prior to this job, I worked in another town and it was a 45 min to 1 hour commute, both ways.  Once my daughter was born, I personally hated the commute home.  She was around 2-3 at the time and when I got home, I rarely got more than 15-20 mins time with her cause it was bath/bed time.  That irritated the hell out of me.

I got lucky though, actually took on a non-management roll so I could have the opportunity to work from home.  My goal was to be at home before she started school, which happened, so I got lucky.

I'd not do more than an hour if I had to do it again, unless it was a completely different/new opportunity with pay more than enough to justify the commute.  

It's a hard decision when your kids are that age though.  I can honestly say I missed out on a lot just because of the commute home when she was 2 or 3 until age 5.  Of course, back then, my wife was working insane hours and had to do it in the office so it was just me and Tazette by ourselves (for the most part) on weekends because the wife had to be there during the week due to my commute.

As far as the kids go, when they are little like that, they don't remember anything.  It's the time/memories you are willing to sacrifice.  When they get older, they are up later, so it kind of compensates for the time lost in the commute.

As others have said there are various factors to consider.  How much does your commute take away from time with the family, and does it put stress not only on you, but you're wife because you aren't able to drop off or pick up the kids?  Also, it's not just the distance or time but the quality of the commute.  My commute is 35 mins in the AM, 50+ in the PM (20 miles each way).  Same distance which means it is more congested stop and go traffic in the afternoon.  I hate it in the afternoon when it is stop and go, but I have alternate routes I take.  They don't always save me time, but I get to keep moving, and the drive is less stressful, so I'm not pulling out my hair the whole way.

As far as I'm concerned, the one thing you can never have enough of is free time.  

I don't care how small your hourse/apartment is.  You can put two (or even three) kids in one bedroom, you can convert your basement into a crappy little extra bedroom, you can do something to make it work pretty much where ever you live.   Kids will adapt and you can too.  Who cares about a bigger house and a bigger yard that you rarely get to use?  

Says the man living in a palace in the middle of the most expensive city on earth.

As far as I'm concerned, the thing you can never have enough of is Gold Krugerrands.

Sort of on topic, now that I am older I think home size is overrated.  I started in a town home, then to a smaller single family home, now in a huge house.

More land, more house means more yard work, more maintenance, more upkeep costs, bigger electric bills.

Along the way with bigger house, comes bigger collections.  I have so much stuff in this huge house.  We carry too much around.

My wife and I are looking to downsize, maybe even to a condo downtown.  Walk to dine, shop, etc.

I am all for less commute.  I used to commute from MD to Vienna Va daily.  You become immune to the drive.  Once you step out of it, then have to get back in you realize how much of your life you waste.  Buy a smaller home, live near your employer.

live near your employer.

Just wanted to comment on this part.  It's not always possible.  For example, we live in VA and my wife works in VA and I work in MD.  I have the long commute.  If we move closer to my employer then she has the long commute.  There's no way to win in that scenario.

I work in Ashburn and live in Round Hill. Bad traffic day (excluding Route 7 shutdown for flooding or airborne Sequoia landing on LoCo deputy's car) is 35 minutes in and 25 minutes home. 26 miles each way.  Could not imagine commuting in Fairfax County. Dad lives in Annandale, no thanks.

<flooded road>

Seriously, does the reflection in the water not look like Virginia but backwards?

Says the man living in a palace in the middle of the most expensive city on earth.

As far as I'm concerned, the thing you can never have enough of is Gold Krugerrands.

Wha?  My house is approximately 1800 square feet.   My "yard" is literally a 300 square foot enclosed deck.  The whole thing would probably fit in your Houston garage.  

But yes, I chose to buy a small house in the City to minimize my commute back in 1992.  Several of my friends moved to the suburbs back then, and got big houses with swimming pools.  And they have spent the past quarter century driving long commutes or taking long rides on BART, leaving early and coming home late.    I have gotten to go to all of the important events in my kids' lives.  They haven't.    

Archived