Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How long or far are you willing to commute?

Springfield

If he bought in the early 90s, I doubt Predicto paid more than 300-400k for that house.

:)

This thread delivers

Kind of. The rate isn't locked. The value that can be taxed is. Well, kind of. The assessed value for tax purposes can only go up by an inflation factor, not to exceed 2% per year.

So if he bought that property for 300k in 1990. The most it could be assessed at right now, 25 years later, would be 490k or so. The property's real value is probably 3x that much, though.

It is a truly stupid, stupid law that has destroyed the finances of the once great state of California and yes I do benefit heavily from it.

Confused here...

I could not care less if Predicto was Bill Gates financially.

If anything, I am trying to ask advice on how to get to that level if I had financial issues.

All I can do is give him a congrats on his life and appreciate his success.

Seriously. Money does not make the man, the man makes money. I can not recall who said that to quote properly, but it is the truth.

I guess I am different in the way that fame and money don't really impress me. The person is what is more important to me.

Predicto is good people, don't worry about his pockets unless you are his wife.

Ugh.  I can take ribbing but I can't take take it when someone sincerely defends me.   What is wrong with me?  

tumblr_m8385xXEiT1r270ozo1_250.gif

NUys3rU.gif

JDl3BJH.gif

q6RiVkJ.jpg

It's also one of the primary reasons that housing prices are so high in the Bay Area.

It created a vicious cycle of limited supply of houses being sold (because people were locked into limited tax property increases so why sell) which lead to inflated house prices which led to a new set of people not willing to sell their houses because they were locked into limited tax increases which led to inflated housing prices which led to.... and so on and so on and so on.

It's even more asinine that you can leave that house to your kids and they inherit that 1990 tax base. Or at least that's what I think happens (correct me if I'm off on that).

Mine is 35 minutes on average, going in.  20 minutes on average coming home.  I think this is pretty reasonable.  

I have a bunch of friends that live out in Loudoun county.  Our houses cost about the same, but mine is a townhouse in Alexandria, they have like half an acre and 4 bedrooms.  They generally feel that the status symbol is the size of the house, my thought was that the 3 rules of real estate are location location location.  The last thing i want is a yard i have to take care of, I work at work, I don't want to work at home.  

Seriously, getting ribbed for making a lot of money... There are worse things.

I wish I had nearly as much money as LKB thinks I have.   

There is no proof that Predicto is good people.

True, but people on here hate me less that they hate you, so I got that going for me, which is nice.  

I know a guy who commutes from Aberdeen, MD to Loudoun County. No joke. I'd love to see a list sometime of the wackiest DC area commutes.

Geez. Assuming 70 to Frederick, then 15 south? Wouldn't be too terrible other than getting out of leesburg on 15N in the afternoon. Guess it depends on where in Loudoun though. Regardless that's really effing far.

Another bridge over the potomac is that too much to ask?

South of the woodrow wilson you mean? wont ever happen! Lots of protected land across the river in VA, state parks and what not, then you have ft belvoir to deal with in VA and Indian Head in MD

Confused here...

I could not care less if Predicto was Bill Gates financially.

If anything, I am trying to ask advice on how to get to that level if I had financial issues.

All I can do is give him a congrats on his life and appreciate his success.

Seriously. Money does not make the man, the man makes money. I can not recall who said that to quote properly, but it is the truth.

I guess I am different in the way that fame and money don't really impress me. The person is what is more important to me.

Predicto is good people, don't worry about his pockets unless you are his wife.

It's all bout how someone with or without money acts.  I've know rich people that are huge pricks and ones that are the kindest, coolest people in the world.  Same with poor people, same with middle class.

You stacking dolla bills and I'm not, props to you.  I'm picking your brain if I can and want more than what I currently have.  

This thread has taken an interesting turn.

In the interest of doing what I do best, piling on, I did do a real estate search for San Francisco single family homes between 1,750 and 2,000 square feet.  I wasn't able to get an accurate estimate on Predicto's house value though, because "servant's quarters" isn't a selectable option.

i used to walk to work in 5 minutes. now i drive in 10.

i wouldn't want a long commute...it's the main reason i have never taken a teaching job in loudoun county. just not worth it.

cities are like the zoo to me....fun to visit and look at.

That's how I am too. Love visiting for a few days, but they can keep it. Reading this thread makes me shudder with people having to make these kind of choices

I have a 45 minute commute two to three days a week and I work from home two days a week. And I travel sometimes too.

For three years, I lived in Annandale, VA and actually walked to work every day. That was kind of insane, but I actually like the time in my car before and after work. 30 minutes each way is sort of ideal for me to get mentally prepared/decompress.

That's how I am too. Love visiting for a few days, but they can keep it. Reading this thread makes me shudder with people having to make these kind of choices

Tried the tri-state area and LA for a few years each when I was younger and the eventual move back to the small, slow paced, empty landscape that is southern NM was the happiest move I ever made.  I look at my time in each of those megalopolises as extended working vacations.  Had a lot of fun but I learned that that lifestyle wasn't for me. 

but I actually like the time in my car before and after work. 30 minutes each way is sort of ideal for me to get mentally prepared/decompress.

Completely agree with this.  I enjoy my ride home from work as well (25-30 minutes).  Good time to unwind, usually listen to sports radio or some upbeat music.

I have a 45 minute commute two to three days a week and I work from home two days a week. And I travel sometimes too.

For three years, I lived in Annandale, VA and actually walked to work every day. That was kind of insane, but I actually like the time in my car before and after work. 30 minutes each way is sort of ideal for me to get mentally prepared/decompress.

This is exactly why I don't mind driving.

*And FWIW...I don't find the traffic here to be nearly as bad as it was when I lived in NYC.  No such thing as running a "simple" errand at times. 

Archived