Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How long or far are you willing to commute?

Springfield

So this is somewhat about me, but I'd love your opinions as well.

I'm ready for the next step in my life. Another kid, which will require a bigger house. As my wife and I put it, we are ready for a "forever home". The problem is, Fairfax county is outrageously priced when compared to Prince William county.

So I could buy something further away from work but it would turn a 20 minute commute into something closer to 1 hour. I don't know how I feel about commuting an hour to and from work. I already work 10 hour days and 2 hours of commuting every day would kill my family life.

So how far do you all commute? What do you consider reasonable?

its not worth it.   the best thing you can do is be with your wife and kids an extra 80 minutes a day.... a bigger lawn and master closet isn't worth it

my commute is 45 minutes (to drive to the subway, and then ride, or to bike) and its already waaaay toooo much

When I first started working, I lived in Fairfax and commuted to Rockville. It was 28 miles but it was about an hour commute on some of the worst interchanges in the country. It was ****. I swore I'd never do that again. My next job was five miles (Arlington to Farragut west) but still took 30 minutes door to door) either driving or Metro. I think 30 minutes is probably the best most can expect these days down in DC. Personally, I still live by my rule of short commutes. Time is one thing we never get back and I'd trade more time for nicer digs any day. But that's just me. 

Think about it this way... 80 minutes more a day (IF there are no snafus and 66 is pretty much a daily snafu)—1.3 hrs per day x 5 days x 50 weeks a year= 13.54 days a year you'd spend commuting extra. That's two weeks of your life just gone—riding in a car. 

I assume, since you didn't mention a job change, that your income stays the same but buying a bigger house, even if it costs less, will  add on more costs for maintenance and making it a home as well as more commuting costs.

When I lived in the DC area, I used to commute from Waldorf to Annendale, about 30 miles one way. Then, the company went south to Lexington Park, 34 miles one way in the opposite direction.

I do 23 miles one way from my house in South Carollina across the border to Charlotte, NC.

To me, if you are in a 3 bedroom with two kids, you might want to make do to save yourself more time and money for gas and a larger mortgage. But if you don't have enough bedrooms for the amount if kids you have, you make the move.

It also depends on the age/gender of the kids. Two small boys/girls could share a room for a while until they get older.

I have no kids and now no wife, so I have time to commute. I have a 30-45 minute commute depending on the day of the week. I will be changing my hours in the spring from 8-5 to 7:30-4:30. That half an hour makes a difference.

Where in PWC are you looking to commute to?  If it's western, and you're going to use 66...find someone to ride with you to take advantage of HOV. 

I drive 45 min to an hour each way, but I honestly don't mind it. 

My quality of life outside of work makes my drive worth it. 

The furthest I ever commuted was an hour, between Albuquerque and Santa Fe.  While the interstate was crowded with others commuting to Fe (state government is there and Santa Fe is crazy expensive) and it was far from pleasant, it didn't compare to the sort of thing people put up with in high population areas.  An hour at cruising speed is far better than an hour in stop and go.  It was also the olden days and I commuted with a buddy which meant most days was a stop at the drive-through liquor store (we used to have those in NM) and drinking a beer or two on the way home.  You get a six pack in a twelve pack box that they lined with a plastic bag and filled with ice.  Crazy.  I'd never do that now FWIW.  It was nevertheless a happy day in my life when I got a job close to home.  

Do what you have to for now and work on making it better.

So this is somewhat about me, but I'd love your opinions as well.

I'm ready for the next step in my life. Another kid, which will require a bigger house. As my wife and I put it, we are ready for a "forever home". The problem is, Fairfax county is outrageously priced when compared to Prince William county.

So I could buy something further away from work but it would turn a 20 minute commute into something closer to 1 hour. I don't know how I feel about commuting an hour to and from work. I already work 10 hour days and 2 hours of commuting every day would kill my family life.

So how far do you all commute? What do you consider reasonable?

Do you work in DC?

I spent most of a decade in Prince William County, in Lake Ridge.  Usually took an hour door to door if traffic was pristine, worse if there was a backup of any sort on 95.

I was lucky enough to be able to move north, and I live somewhere generally near where McSluggo does.  I'm down to 45-50 minutes door to door now, but it is so much more relaxing.  Instead of battling 95 daily (even on a commuter bus, this is no fun) I get on a Metro Bus, the stop is, according to Google Maps, 300 feet from my front door, which takes me straight to the Metro.

Combined with my agency significantly expanding our telework (I'd love so say they care about us, but they're trying to save money on office space) I really can't complain about things.  I get to see my kids a bit more, and now I'm around a few mornings each week to help get them dressed and off to school/daycare.

We have a bigger house and yard now, but honestly, there are plenty of parks nearby.  I think I'd have an eye more for reducing commute times and having more family time, there are always parks around if you don't have a yard.

Years ago I would have said 1hr using public transportation (so I could read) OR 30 minutes of driving.

But now last 5 years (since moving to Austin) I have lived less than 2 miles from my office. The commute door to door is under 10 minutes with parking. I go home for lunch multiple times a week. I leave work around 5pm and I am home minutes later.

I have a young kid at home and it is amazing. I don't think I could really ever go back to a commute more than 20 minutes now.

Where in PWC are you looking to commute to? If it's western, and you're going to use 66...find someone to ride with you to take advantage of HOV.

I drive 45 min to an hour each way, but I honestly don't mind it.

My quality of life outside of work makes my drive worth it.

What seems appealing to me is the Manassas area near Yates Ford and Davis Ford. I'd take Henderson to FFX pkwy to get to work.

When I lived in the DC area, I used to commute from Waldorf to Annendale, about 30 miles one way. Then, the company went south to Lexington Park, 34 miles one way in the opposite direction.

I do 23 miles one way from my house in South Carollina across the border to Charlotte, NC.

To me, if you are in a 3 bedroom with two kids, you might want to make do to save yourself more time and money for gas and a larger mortgage. But if you don't have enough bedrooms for the amount if kids you have, you make the move.

It also depends on the age/gender of the kids. Two small boys/girls could share a room for a while until they get older.

Right now we have a two bedroom TH. An extra kid wold be ok until it was time for him/her to move into a crib after a few months.

Do you work in DC?

I work in Springfield.

I spent most of a decade in Prince William County, in Lake Ridge.  Usually took an hour door to door if traffic was pristine, worse if there was a backup of any sort on 95.

I was lucky enough to be able to move north, and I live somewhere generally near where McSluggo does.  I'm down to 45-50 minutes door to door now, but it is so much more relaxing.  Instead of battling 95 daily (even on a commuter bus, this is no fun) I get on a Metro Bus, the stop is, according to Google Maps, 300 feet from my front door, which takes me straight to the Metro.

Combined with my agency significantly expanding our telework (I'd love so say they care about us, but they're trying to save money on office space) I really can't complain about things.  I get to see my kids a bit more, and now I'm around a few mornings each week to help get them dressed and off to school/daycare.

We have a bigger house and yard now, but honestly, there are plenty of parks nearby.  I think I'd have an eye more for reducing commute times and having more family time, there are always parks around if you don't have a yard.

I do something similar, but I'm a bit further out then you. I'm in Ashburn, the bus is 3 minutes from my apartment, takes 15 minutes on the toll road to wiehle-reston, and then metro takes about 40 minutes from there.

My fiance works in Ashburn, and lives about 10 minutes from her work. I'd much rather use the public transportation than drive, it's so much less stressful even if less convenient. Usually have a homemade meal by the time I get home, but I'm in charge of dish duty.

I'd like to move closer eventually, to make our commute a bit more even. Especially because I work a ton of nights and it can get to be a grind. But for now I'm happy where we're at, we're saving a ton of money by living further out, and have space to grow.

When kids enter the picture, I'd like to cut the commute down to spend more time with them to echo what a few others have said, but that's probably at least 2-3 years out.

About 30 minutes for me.

Unless it's an unreasonable amount of time, and if the pay is right, you gotta do what you gotta do to get that bread. Money is more important than every other factor, IMO.

You'd be sayin different if you didn't need to support your fancy-man shoes habit.

I recently moved to Fredericksburg, VA from Baltimore. Could have kept working Full-Time in HR at BWI Airport but that would have been too long of a commute. I assumed I was going to have to work in DC or Richmond. The commute to DC looked like it was going to really drive me insane but luckily, albeit for less money, I found an HR job in Fredericksburg. 15 Minutes of total commute each day. 

In the past, I've done close to 1.5 hours of commute which is bad, but it wasn't DC traffic. I don't know how most of you guys do it.

I'm not a real estate agent, but having lived in Eastern Prince William County for some time, I can at least given you a general insight into the areas you're looking at, so long as you stay east.  Davis Ford/Yates Ford is pushing it though.

If you decide to locate further east, you can always pick your way up 123 and the FFX County Parkway to get to Springfield.

I recently moved from Bethesda MD, to Rochester, MN.  In Bethesda, I commuted ~1hr (sometimes more) each direction to work.  Now I walk ~10 blocks or drive 4 minutes, depending on weather.  My job is more stressful here, but my overall level of stress/happiness/satisfaction is so much better now.  I always got home after commuting in DC in an angry and pissy mood.  Now I get home happy and am more available (both time-wise and emotionally) for my wife and kids.  I'll never commute like that again.   

its not worth it. the best thing you can do is be with your wife and kids an extra 80 minutes a day.... a bigger lawn and master closet isn't worth it

my commute is 45 minutes (to drive to the subway, and then ride, or to bike) and its already waaaay toooo much

This is the best advice. Being with your wife and kids is the best thing. If commuting that distance keeps you from your family, then it may not be worth it. If the commute prevents you from being at your kids after school functions, recitals, sporting events, etc. is that worth it. Plus the extra stress it could put on your wife as well as the additional stress it could put in you. It's a lot to consider and I hope you make the best choice for you and your family.

I used to commute from Fairfax to Tysons. It was slowly draining my soul. Got a new job in Herndon, that commute was better but still too long for me. Moved to Sterling, only 8 minutes door to door with no traffic. But there was always traffic, so I decided to get a new job working from home. My commute is 15 feet down the hall to my home office. It's the ****ing best, I tell ya.

I guess im on the ridiculous end of the spectrum.

My commute varies wildy because of what i do but its not uncommon for me to have to drive a hundred miles one way.

2 hrs in up to 3 hrs back with traffic.

It sucks but its part of the job unfortunately.

Really cuts into my social life no doubt.

Not sure if this in an option for you, but is there anyway you alter you work schedule?

Like switch it from 8am-5pm to 6am-3pm?

I work in Va. Beach and commute to Newport News, which means I have to drive through dreaded Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel.  Working 8-5, it took me roughly an hour to get to and from work.

Working 6-3, man it literally takes me 30 minutes.  I get to skip all the military traffic and all the 8-5'ers. 

Working 6-3, man it literally takes me 30 minutes.  I get to skip all the military traffic and all the 8-5'ers. 

Boom.  I work 6:00 - 2:30. Leave the house at 5:20 when the roads are still dead, and I get off at 2:30, well before traffic picks up.  It still takes me 25-30 minutes though because I live so far out.  But it feels much better flying at 70+ all the way home than stuck in rush hour traffic 

Commuting is part of the culture in the DMV, in my opinion. 

I still own a house in Fredericksburg and would commute to DC every day.  Honestly it was no sweat to me because I'd wind down during that time and listen to some good talk radio or an audio book or catch up on phone calls (hands free of course).  But I knew what I was getting into when I bought my house.

My commute in the morning wasn't bad.  I would leave early enough to not have to deal with traffic and I'd also get into the gym right when I got to work.  My commutes to work were about an hour and my commutes home were about two hours.  Except on Friday... Friday is the day that I would either go visit my cousins in Sterling for a couple of hours or I would grab some fast food and just prepare to drive for three to four hours to get home.

For me, it was worth it because I own a house and land that would cost me 750k in NOVA and I paid FAR less for it where I'm at now.  All for an extra hour and change a day?  I'm fine with that.

I think DC9 hit the nail on the head...commuting IS part of the culture here in the area. 

I also believe that if you can find a good balance between fun things you do outside of working/commuting, you'll be good.  As I mentioned before, my quality of life outside of my job is fantastic (and I do love my work as well). 

*edit*

Where I live now, I have MUCH more space than I did when I lived 10 minutes outside of DC...and for a fraction of the cost. 

I work in Ashburn and live in Round Hill. Bad traffic day (excluding Route 7 shutdown for flooding or airborne Sequoia landing on LoCo deputy's car) is 35 minutes in and 25 minutes home. 26 miles each way.  Could not imagine commuting in Fairfax County. Dad lives in Annandale, no thanks.

539a539c4ffc1.image.jpg?resize=300%2C398

539ef2ad87b49.image.jpg

Archived