Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How long or far are you willing to commute?

Springfield

An hour?  I can get from Venice to Lido Key in less time.  What, do you live in Arcadia? I though you lived in Bradenton.  I can't imagine it taking an hour to get to a beach from anywhere in Bradenton.

We moved to Lakewood Ranch about a year ago.  So in season, it takes an hour to get to our preferred beach which is the north tip of Anna Maria.  I can get to Lido in about 30 minutes in season.  Siesta in about the same maybe a bit more.  We have friends on the north tip though, so no parking issues, showers and stocked bar.

I live 1.5 miles from my work and about 1.5 miles from Where my wife works. It's perfect.

Of course I live in Lynchburg Va.

I had to drive to Roanoke for work when I was just out of high school which is about an hour commute with traffic once you hit Orange avenue in Roanoke. It was awful, especially if you work OT or late regularly anyway. Just sucks up so much time.

The most precious commodity we have is time. It's never made sense to me to literally just waste time driving long commutes every day. You will never get that back. Sometimes you have to do it but you should always be looking to shorten that imo.

Wha? My house is approximately 1800 square feet. My "yard" is literally a 300 square foot enclosed deck. The whole thing would probably fit in your Houston garage.

But yes, I chose to buy a small house in the City to minimize my commute back in 1992. Several of my friends moved to the suburbs back then, and got big houses with swimming pools. And they have spent the past quarter century driving long commutes or taking long rides on BART, leaving early and coming home late. I have gotten to go to all of the important events in my kids' lives. They haven't.

All of that for $1.6 million.

All of that for $1.6 million.

Ha, no way it's that cheap.  Watch one of the dozens of documentaries on San Fran real estate floating around the web right now... you'll need to double that.

Predicto is the wealthiest ESer.  He should buy all of us something nice, I say.

I remember when I was considering graduate schools, UC-SF was on the top of my list. I visited the city to check out the campus and meet with some of the students to see how its like being a doctoral student there.

Before I even got a chance to speak with the students, I already knew I wasn't going to be moving there. My cousin and his wife were living in a 2 BR apartment, in a relatively undeveloped part of the city at that time for $4500 a month. $4500!!!!! They eventually bought what might be the tiniest house ever sold for $1million.

Ha, no way it's that cheap.  Watch one of the dozens of documentaries on San Fran real estate floating around the web right now... you'll need to double that.

Predicto is the wealthiest ESer.  He should buy all of us something nice, I say.

I was going to propose an ES fundraiser so Predicto can get an addition on his home.

So I think this our strategy.

We will need to buy a house to accommodate our growing family. I work in Springfield and my wife works in Fairfax. She doesn't want to quit her job so we will look for a place in the Springfield, Burke, Fairfax or Alexandria area. Something that will be as close to our jobs as possible.

The only reason we would consider moving to a large home in PWC or somewhere further away would be if she wanted to stay at home with the kids.

Good call IMO.   You don't need a huge house.   You need a house that is just big enough, located where you want it to be.

edit - oh and eff you all

Used to do Bethesda to Ft Meade. 40 mins each way.  Now, Ellicott City to Ft Meade, max 20 mins a day and i can avoid the highways.  

And those who complain about price of a home near their work, maybe you need to lower your expectations a little to get something a little more affordable for the added convenience 

This one fool at work traveling from Dowington, PA to Ft Meade.  It is 110 miles each way!  He's only makes $75K too

I know a guy who commutes from Aberdeen, MD to Loudoun County.  No joke.  I'd love to see a list sometime of the wackiest DC area commutes.

If he bought in the early 90s, I doubt Predicto paid more than 300-400k for that house.

And thanks to Prop 13, his property tax rate is locked in"O until he dies and his children sell it for $5 million.

Everything's coming up Predicto!!!!

Meanwhile, McSluggo's kids are apparently sleeping three to a bed like some sort of Dickensian orphans. I bet they hate Predicto's kids.

"Oh, Vail has just gotten so boring. Daddy just must take us to Swtizerland next year or we will die...."

"Daddy told us that if we are good, we'll get 4 days in Ocean City instead of 3...."

I know a guy who commutes from Aberdeen, MD to Loudoun County.  No joke.  I'd love to see a list sometime of the wackiest DC area commutes.

In the middle of the night that would take two hours each way. I can't imagine what it's like in any traffic, and you would be dealing with either Baltimore and DC rushhour, or if you came via 15 you would deal with horrendous traffic from the Potomac to Leesburg on a windy two-lane road.

And thanks to Prop 13, his property tax rate is locked in"O until he dies and his children sell it for $5 million.

Everything's coming up Predicto!!!!

Kind of. The rate isn't locked. The value that can be taxed is. Well, kind of. The assessed value for tax purposes can only go up by an inflation factor, not to exceed 2% per year.

So if he bought that property for 300k in 1990. The most it could be assessed at right now, 25 years later, would be 490k or so. The property's real value is probably 3x that much, though.

Confused here...

I could not care less if Predicto was Bill Gates financially.

If anything, I am trying to ask advice on how to get to that level if I had financial issues.

All I can do is give him a congrats on his life and appreciate his success.

Seriously. Money does not make the man, the man makes money. I can not recall who said that to quote properly, but it is the truth.

I guess I am different in the way that fame and money don't really impress me. The person is what is more important to me.

Predicto is good people, don't worry about his pockets unless you are his wife.

Archived