Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Okay, I actually took a picture before I ate it. The recipe posted earlier makes two generous portions, so I have enough for tomorrow. I don't have a wok but a deep frying pan or green onions.. It's delicious and tastes exactly like my favorite take out Chinese place at home.

IMG_20230705_191253102.jpg

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Okay, I actually took a picture before I ate it. The recipe posted earlier makes two generous portions, so I have enough for tomorrow. I don't have a wok but a deep frying pan or green onions.. It's delicious and tastes exactly like my favorite take out Chinese place at home.

IMG_20230705_191253102.jpg

Right on!  Looks yummy 

• Like 1

@zCommander

I "copied" your burgers with the Kinder's salt/pepper/garlic combo (different than your seasoning -  I think mine says "The Blend".  2 lbs of 80/20 ground beef and 1 lb of 90/10 ground sirloin,  2 eggs and an equal amount of parmesan. 

I formed them right at the grill.  Unfortunately I did not make them huge and I've got half the meat left.... maybe will do more later this week.

On 7/6/2023 at 7:19 AM, Darrell Green Fan said:

There is a famous meat market in Mt Airy, my best friend's parents in Bethesda used to drive all the way there.  I got some of their hamburger for a cookout. I have no idea why but it tasted so much better than grocery store burger.  

Mt. Airy Meat Locker. I’ve gotten meat there. Their hamburger is ammmaaazing.  Used by the Famous Sunshine Burger.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Mt. Airy Meat Locker. I’ve gotten meat there. Their hamburger is ammmaaazing.  Used by the Famous Sunshine Burger.

It's actually called Wagners by the locals, apparently according to Google it goes by both names.  I finally had one of them there Sunshine Burgers.  It was HUGE, as I had heard it was.  My only gripe was I figured there would be ketchup squeeze bottles at the table so I didn't order ketchup on it.  Do you know how many little packets of ketchup is required for a burger that large? 

• Like 1

So how do you guys make wings?

I tried some on my kettle grill last week and they were pretty good but I want to see if I can do better. 

I bought a bag of frozen wings today at the store and some good wing sauce. Lemme know what you guys suggest, might try to make them tomorrow at lunch. 

I do mine in the oven (apartment). I buy the frozen wings too. I start by putting them in the oven at 425° for about 15-20 minutes. Then I add some lemon juice,  garlic, veggie oil,  and poultry seasoning on them after I turn them for about another 15 minutes. It makes them crispy.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 6:18 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I tried some on my kettle grill last week and they were pretty good but I want to see if I can do better. 

I bought a bag of frozen wings today at the store and some good wing sauce. Lemme know what you guys suggest, might try to make them tomorrow at lunch. 

On 7/9/2023 at 6:25 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

I do mine in the oven (apartment). I buy the frozen wings too. I start by putting them in the oven at 425° for about 15-20 minutes. Then I add some lemon juice,  garlic, veggie oil,  and poultry seasoning on them after I turn them for about another 15 minutes. It makes them crispy.

I make sure the wings are dry - rub with paper towels. Then I mix spices (depends on the mood - five spice, old bay, garlic/onion powder, jerk seasoning, ground up Szechuan peppercorn, salt/pepper etc.) with baking powder (about 1 TBSP for ~2lbs).Then I toss the dry mix in a plastic bag & add the wings. Shake & put the bag in a bowl in the fridge for ~30 minutes. Spray a rack with oil, put the wings on the rack, smoker at 400 degrees, indirect cook for 30 minutes, flip & cook for 10 more minutes. Sauce on the side...Smash 'em

Rack:

image.png.5cdd367067a15e0b952c032bd15ecabe.png

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I make sure the wings are dry - rub with paper towels. Then I mix spices (depends on the mood - five spice, old bay, garlic/onion powder, jerk seasoning, ground up Szechuan peppercorn, salt/pepper etc.) with baking powder (about 1 TBSP for ~2lbs).Then I toss the dry mix in a plastic bag & add the wings. Shake & put the bag in a bowl in the fridge for ~30 minutes. Spray a rack with oil, put the wings on the rack, smoker at 400 degrees, indirect cook for 30 minutes, flip & cook for 10 more minutes. Sauce on the side...Smash 'em

Rack:

image.png.5cdd367067a15e0b952c032bd15ecabe.png

I’ll add to this…

Take ‘em off a bit earlier, and drop in 375 degree oil for a few minutes and behold the deep flavor of smoke with the crisp skin from the fry.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 7/9/2023 at 3:18 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

We air fry almost 💯 the time with ours. Fantastic kitchen appliance for frozen (or cold) items you want to crisp and also not have to deal with disposing of frying oil. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 6:18 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Deep fat fried. 

On 7/12/2023 at 11:56 AM, The Evil Genius said:

We air fry almost 💯 the time with ours. Fantastic kitchen appliance for frozen (or cold) items you want to crisp and also not have to deal with disposing of frying oil. 

Air fryer is the way to go.  I use both compartments to make two different flavors.

My wife got some gooseberries in a bundle with other stuff from the farmer's market. I've never had gooseberries before.  So I'm makeing a non-traditional pork belly char siu that includes gooseberries and gochujang.  It's marinating now.  We'll see how it turns out tomorrow.

• Like 4

On 7/14/2023 at 8:56 PM, China said:

My wife got some gooseberries in a bundle with other stuff from the farmer's market. I've never had gooseberries before.  So I'm makeing a non-traditional pork belly char siu that includes gooseberries and gochujang.  It's marinating now.  We'll see how it turns out tomorrow.

Here's the final product:

8pQ1YVZ.jpg?1

A little too sweet, and you couldn't really taste the gochujang.  Next time I'd reduce the sugar content and add more gochujang, but still good.

• Like 4