Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

The neighbors who lived across the street from me in Alexandria operated a take out culinary food store in the local shopping center. The husband made the food with additional cooks and the wife operated the store front. They made the best mushroom soup and I really miss it. So I found a recipe for Hungarian Mushroom soup and I'm making some today. So far it's working out really great and the base tastes good. I'm going to freeze a bit at this point and reheat and finish the recipe later. So I'm taking a little rest.

I'll finish the rest of the recipe in a bit for dinner today. It's pretty easy, just time consuming. I can't stand on my feet for that long. I only had to slice some onion and garlic, I bought sliced mushrooms because they're cheap, I had all of the other ingredients. 

I'll post a picture later.

If you're ever down near the Ft. Hunt area off the GW Parkway, check out the Hollin Hall Shopping Center. This small place was my local hangout for years. The restaurant I mentioned is Roseina's. They have all kinds of good food.

https://roseinas.com/menu

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Skirt steak experiment.

Harris Teeter had it on sale a few months ago, so I bought a lot 😅

Mrs. Skinsfan and I have deemed it tailgate worthy.

I'll probably make it for the Bears tailgate.

20230919_172944.jpg

I almost went bananas on salmon today, seemed like everything was on sale.  Big ones to small ones, and I have a food saver, so I'd normally go nuts and vacuum em for later but I left some for the masses.  Only snagged 2 good singles.  :) 

Since I had ramen at halftime Sunday and now consider it "lucky", I bought a bunch and more shrimp.  I think I'm set till the playoffs. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I almost went bananas on salmon today, seemed like everything was on sale.  Big ones to small ones, and I have a food saver, so I'd normally go nuts and vacuum em for later but I left some for the masses.  Only snagged 2 good singles.  :) 

Since I had ramen at halftime Sunday and now consider it "lucky", I bought a bunch and more shrimp.  I think I'm set till the playoffs. 

We do the same.  The food saver is a life-saver, especially since we've been empty-nesters.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

I spend too much time on Instagram looking at food and reels it's an addiction 

noticing a place called Carolina kitchen but where else can I get some good soul food round here. and where can I get good tacos like birria 😂🌮

There are two good birria taco joints here in Falls Church.  One is La Tingeria and the other is Taco Bamba.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Washington lost, but Mrs. Skinsfan and I won😎

I rarely smoke beef ribs, because it's hard to decent ones around here.  We did an overnight trip to Gettysburg the other day, and stopped by a butcher in New Oxford, PA, on the way home.

They cut the meat to order, while you wait. I got 5 lbs of beef back ribs, a few thick cut pork chops, bacon and bologna. All of it local.  We ate the chops yesterday,  and the ribs today.

Both were excellent.  

20231001_184146.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Washington lost, but Mrs. Skinsfan and I won😎

I rarely smoke beef ribs, because it's hard to decent ones around here.  We did an overnight trip to Gettysburg the other day, and stopped by a butcher in New Oxford, PA, on the way home.

They cut the meat to order, while you wait. I got 5 lbs of beef back ribs, a few thick cut pork chops, bacon and bologna. All of it local.  We ate the chops yesterday,  and the ribs today.

Both were excellent.  

20231001_184146.jpg

Beef ribs are my absolute favorite. Place in El Paso does them perfect. Those look amazing.

• Like 1

I got a really nice 2.5 lb piece of pork loin on sale for $3/lb.  Being just the two of us it's kinda big for doing a roast so I decided to try making Canadian bacon.  Using Meatheads recipe.  Can't wait to see how it comes out.  It'll go in the smoker briefly In a week, in the curing solution now.  Looking forward to some eggs Benedict.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2