Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

30 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Helpful.  Do you have a brand or website for the high-end stuff?

Finex, Smithy or Field Company are brands I've looked at. CI don't like the way the finexs look.  But that's just me.

Here's a dependable review of a bunch of them

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/best-cast-iron-skillet-pan-reviews-article#pre12

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The 12th Commandment said:

If I were you, I wouldn't buy lodge I'd go higher end.  They are legitimately better.  Lodge has that rough surface that takes years to build up the non-stick thing where as the pricier ones are machined smooth and become non-stick much quicker.  I have a sixty year old smooth machined one and it rocks.  Nothing wrong with lodge, I use them too but I do notice a big difference.  Particularly for searing.  There are some interesting videos on youtube about machining your lodges smooth with a grinder.  More work than I care to do tho.  Just sayin

Agreed.

It took years for a couple of my Lodge pans to build a good seasoning.   

Got a 10 oz. angus sirloin steak on sale at Kroger for $4.14.  It's massive.  It will be properly marinated and rubbed. 

I'm going to make a shroom, onion, pepper (mop) smothering for it (smo).  Baked potato will have everything. 

I know, I know, fresh is best...but I'm really partial to Margaret Holmes brand seasoned canned veggies...tonight's choice is lima beans.  They're super without any extra work or pans dirtied. 

I'm starving now just thinking about it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Got a 10 oz. angus sirloin steak on sale at Kroger for $4.14.  It's massive.  It will be properly marinated and rubbed. 

I'm going to make a shroom, onion, pepper (mop) smothering for it (smo).  Baked potato will have everything. 

I know, I know, fresh is best...but I'm really partial to Margaret Holmes brand seasoned canned veggies...tonight's choice is lima beans.  They're super without any extra work or pans dirtied. 

Mrs Skinfan and I love the Margaret Holmes veggies...

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

So it is not breakfast anymore or quite lunch so what to eat? The wife was like I think you should make your own breakfast today. So I did lol

Hebrew National hot dogs omelette served on soft tortilla lightly browned on each side. 

I couldn't find the shredded cheese so went with half a slice on each.  :) 

PXL_20231022_154638389.thumb.jpg.53ef87e19054c3820d40d161750e75a7.jpg

PXL_20231022_155000981.thumb.jpg.5518f1db6b4a3bd98253ee4645ba8327.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/20/2023 at 1:07 PM, ixcuincle said:

i've had oktoberfest on my mind and even though it ended Oct 3 I may be in the mood to make some kielbasa and sauerkraut

Well, if you go anywhere near Bailey's Crossroads, I'd recommend stopping at the German Gourmet.  They make their own sausages.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

If it helps, yay! I have three feet of cookbooks. Some I've never used, some a few times, some are go too. 

One on my list is Woks of Life

https://www.amazon.com/Woks-Life-Recipes-American-Cookbook/dp/0593233891/ref=sr_1_1?crid=K22IYIFIM7P6&keywords=the+woks+of+life+cookbook&qid=1698163873&s=books&sprefix=Woks+of+life%2Cstripbooks%2C277&sr=1-1

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

If it helps, yay! I have three feet of cookbooks. Some I've never used, some a few times, some are go too. 

One on my list is Woks of Life

https://www.amazon.com/Woks-Life-Recipes-American-Cookbook/dp/0593233891/ref=sr_1_1?crid=K22IYIFIM7P6&keywords=the+woks+of+life+cookbook&qid=1698163873&s=books&sprefix=Woks+of+life%2Cstripbooks%2C277&sr=1-1

I get recipes from this site...Same peeps!

https://thewoksoflife.com/

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I get recipes from this site...Same peeps!

https://thewoksoflife.com/

Yes, I know about this site. It's great. Personally, I don't like taking my tablet into the kitchen. So I'll get it in book form. It's where I got the shrimp with lobster sauce and following the recipe faithfully (except for the wine, I used sherry) it tastes great.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 1:19 PM, skinsmarydu said:

I checked out the steaks in my local grocery store and man, are they expensive. I'm thinking ground beef and pork for meatloaves.. I want to get small loaf pans and make a few and then freeze them. 

• Thumb up 2

So I got the ingredients for the cornbread enchiladas, ground beef, sweet peppers, mild enchilada sauce, onions, frozen corn, capers. The corn, diced onion, and capers will go in the cornbread mix. I got yellow and white cornbread mix because my pan is large. It's for the weekend because I go to my six month doctor check and blood draw on Friday morning. Can't wait to try it out!

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

On 10/24/2023 at 5:17 PM, ixcuincle said:

online recipes can be good but usually have a war and peace long intro. 

“Hi, I’m Madison and this is my blog. I love food and am a stay at home mom of 5.  I live in Utah and my husband wont let me have friends, so I fill my days by writing extremely long intros to super basic recipes like ‘how to make pickles’ and ‘oven baked chicken for mormons’.  Scroll to ALL THE WAY to the bottom of the page for the useful information.”

On 10/25/2023 at 7:02 PM, Darrell Green Fan said:

Finally got around to buying a sous vide machine or whatever you call it. I think I'll just use a basic Food Lion steak so we can compare.  With this weather it's grilling weather, although like most I grill all year.  

Which one?

• Haha 2

On 10/27/2023 at 7:42 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

The last of the venison..I used a coffee rub and grilled over high heat until it hit 129°

Ah venison. I so love it. It’s ****ing infuriating because when I was in college (in WV), my good friend went hunting constantly and we had a literally overflowing supply of venison. It was breakfast, lunch, dinner and “get home a 3 am drunk AF” provisions. IT WAS LITERALLY FREE. 

Now, the only place I can get it in Nova is a high end butcher and it’s $29.99/lb. Like ****ing wagyu beef prices. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1