Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2023 at 11:07 PM, China said:

Made a turkey soup with the carcass that was great as part of dinner tonight.

Right now I've got some pork belly marinating for a change of pace tomorrow.

I did the same thing.  More of a stock than a soup, and then my wife used it to make gumbo the next day.  

Damn that was some good gumbo.  The only issue was the stock was slightly oily.  I think next year I’ll make sure to remove all the skin before making the stock/soup.  

• Like 2

I’m honor of Hanukkah, made muffin tin Latkes.  My daughter found the recipe on food network and thought we would give it a try.  Super easy and really delicious.  Next time, I need to add more salt. 

Accompanied by sautéed onions and sour cream.  I was supposed to make stewed apples but I didn’t get there.  IMG_7805.thumb.jpeg.4a17aab5c3471dbb51943bdc5e8510b0.jpeg

IMG_7806.thumb.jpeg.de6b4c309eb6a4deb4f0bf73a0160bd8.jpeg

IMG_7808.thumb.jpeg.25d8f5aeb4abb16d0c2ea3747e6a9275.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I did the same thing.  More of a stock than a soup, and then my wife used it to make gumbo the next day.  

Damn that was some good gumbo.  The only issue was the stock was slightly oily.  I think next year I’ll make sure to remove all the skin before making the stock/soup.  

You can remove some of the oil, either by refrigerating it and then skimming the fat off the top when it congeals, or by letting it sit and putting a paper towel on top to absorb some of the fat.

• Like 4

Just now, China said:

You can remove some of the oil, either by refrigerating it and then skimming the fat off the top when it congeals, or by letting it sit and putting a paper towel on top to absorb some of the fat.

Yeah, I will try that next time.

I love to smoke turkeys, and they tend to be cheap at non-thanksgiving times of years.  So I’ll do it a few times a year and I’ll try that next time….

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 9:55 PM, China said:

On 12/10/2023 at 9:58 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, I will try that next time.

I love to smoke turkeys, and they tend to be cheap at non-thanksgiving times of years.  So I’ll do it a few times a year and I’ll try that next time….

I use the refrigerator method most of the time.....works great

• Thanks 1

My daughter brought over a treasure of proteins yesterday from her store's free box. Basically, past sell by date. So I cut apart a rack of pork ribs, baked a couple ribs and froze the rest. Today's menu is roasted chicken and something else, not decided yet.

It's a pretty big chicken and really nice, yellow instead of pale. I can freeze leftovers.

BTW, I've made the deconstructed egg rolls several times, next time with ground beef. It's a successful dish!

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

i have an addiction to using my peelers

i have an apple, I use the peeler to peel the skin off and then I eat

now I am ready to peel carrots and potatos like a professional !

You need to get yourself one of these:

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1