Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

You can take it up to pullable temps if you like, but in my experience it'll be awfully dry and stringy.  Still perfectly tasty, but need a lot of sauce to make up for the dryness, and not nearly as good as shoulder.  I'm sure there's a way to do it better than mine, but among the ham's I've made I've preferred sliced to pulled.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcl05 said:

You can take it up to pullable temps if you like, but in my experience it'll be awfully dry and stringy.  Still perfectly tasty, but need a lot of sauce to make up for the dryness, and not nearly as good as shoulder.  I'm sure there's a way to do it better than mine, but among the ham's I've made I've preferred sliced to pulled.  

Got it. So around 150 internal temperature then?

wouldnt want to make it pullable if it turns out dry. 

9 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Are ovens not manly enough anymore?  Does everything have to be smoked/grilled these days?

The Jewish half of me likes to stay away from ovens, but you do you TTB.

To answer your question, no, ovens are fine for baking...IMO.  I have a buddy who swears he makes the best pulled pork in an oven and...well, it's just not that good.  I mean, it's okay but there's not a lot of flavor, there's no bark, it's just...there.  

And really, what would you rather do?  House chores and stuff all day with your food in the oven or be outside on the patio with a couple beers and a cigar waiting tending to the meat?

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The Jewish half of me likes to stay away from ovens, but you do you TTB.

Something, something, too cheap to call Honeybaked Hams, etc, etc…

#kindaracist

Edited by TradeTheBeal!
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Are ovens not manly enough anymore?  Does everything have to be smoked/grilled these days?

Not a man, can't grill here at the apartments and the grilling location is far away from my apartment. So it's a grill pan (it's ok), the oven, or stovetop. I can do okay and it's a good thing that steak is too expensive because that's one thing I prefer on a grill. The grill pan just doesn't cut it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bcl05 said:

Raw or already smoked/cooked ham?  I've done a ton of smoking, can reliably nail shoulder/brisket/etc, and lots of good whole hogs.  For some reason, hams are tricky.  If it is already smoked, you really just want to rewarm it.  Very light smoke, add a nice homemade glaze, not much time needed.  Cooking from raw, I'd do a dry brine/cure overnight and then gently smoke up to 150-160.  Will be slice-able and tender/juicy, not pullable.   Not enough intramuscular fat/collagen to take up to typical pork shoulder temps.  

I've never done raw ham.

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

@Skinsfan1311 (or anyone else)

I've got a big ass ham to smoke for Easter.  It's 17 pounds, bone in.  

I've had a lot of success smoking various meats, a lot of pork shoulders but also some turkeys and ribs.  Haven't smoked a ham before, I'm assuming you'd smoke it just like you would a pork shoulder, but I have seen a bunch of conflicting information on YouTube and when people are smoking hams they're usually smoking spiral sliced.  This cut ain't that.

So any insight would be appreciated. 

I use a spiral sliced ham.  Since it's already cooked, and I use a lot of brown sugar, the idea is to add more smoke while gently reheating the ham.

In a nutshell, I mix a couple tablespoons of rub, with a couple cups of brown sugar.   I coat the ham with yellow mustard, then spread the rub mixture onto the ham, taking care to work some into the spiral.    I keep the smoker between 200 & 225, because of all of the brown sugar and we're just reheating the ham, and adding a little more smoke flavor, not cooking it. 

After a couple of hours, I take the ham out, put it into some heavy foil, spritz it with OJ, add some more rub, put it back on the smoker and take it up to an internal temp of 135. 

I let it rest for at least 30 minutes, pull it out of the foil, (reserving the juices to pour over the slices), and serve.  

Hope this helps!

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Does anyone have one those counter top air fryers and which ones would you recommend? 

My SIL got me one for Xmas years ago. It's ok but my oven has the convection setting which is about the same equivalent. It lives in the attic now. 😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Does anyone have one those counter top air fryers and which ones would you recommend? 

https://www.ninjakitchen.com/products/ninja-foodi-6-in-1-smart-10-qt.-2-basket-air-fryer-zidDZ550

I got this for Christmas 22. I dig it. It’s great for frozen food that you don’t have to set out to thaw.

Great for wings.

If you’re entertaining, you can get that going along with the oven, stovetop, and crockpot.

Instead of baking salmon in the oven, I drop it in here and I’m eating by the time I’d wait for the oven to pre-heat.

It has more versatility than I’ve taken advantage of.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I think I want one but my counter space is micro. I just bought an 8" cast iron skillet because my small ceramic skillet is limited heat wise. I like to start out medium high and turn down the heat instead of medium or less and wait forever for it to heat up. It's a Lodge and it's getting delivered today so I'll try it out tomorrow morning. 

• Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I think I want one but my counter space is micro. I just bought an 8" cast iron skillet because my small ceramic skillet is limited heat wise. I like to start out medium high and turn down the heat instead of medium or less and wait forever for it to heat up. It's a Lodge and it's getting delivered today so I'll try it out tomorrow morning. 

How often do you use multiple burners on the stove? I wonder if there’s a solution to have it sit on half the stove. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe there’s a flat surface thingy that could sit over the burners if you have gas and they have grates. I totally get the space dilemma.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

My SIL got me one for Xmas years ago. It's ok but my oven has the convection setting which is about the same equivalent. It lives in the attic now. 😆

I ask because my toaster oven has the same function which I used once, the food was ICE cold after using it and following instructions.

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

https://www.ninjakitchen.com/products/ninja-foodi-6-in-1-smart-10-qt.-2-basket-air-fryer-zidDZ550

I got this for Christmas 22. I dig it. It’s great for frozen food that you don’t have to set out to thaw.

Great for wings.

If you’re entertaining, you can get that going along with the oven, stovetop, and crockpot.

Instead of baking salmon in the oven, I drop it in here and I’m eating by the time I’d wait for the oven to pre-heat.

It has more versatility than I’ve taken advantage of.

I also asked because I've seen the Ninja ones but they go over 100+ dollars. Which is why I am doing my research. Some 30 dollar ones out there too.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

How often do you use multiple burners on the stove? I wonder if there’s a solution to have it sit on half the stove. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe there’s a flat surface thingy that could sit over the burners if you have gas and they have grates. I totally get the space dilemma.

I do have burner covers for all but one burner, a small one that I use constantly. I usually put a larger pan on one of the big burners, I have a hot water pot on one, and the other big burner is used to put my every day pan on when it's hot to cool off. So I'll continue to think about it. My next month purchase is a pair of Keds for the summer. Those are my favorite kicks.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

6 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

We use it a lot. $99.00 on Amazon.

COSORI Air Fryer TurboBlaze 6.0-Quart Compact Airfryer that Roast, Bake, Proof, 9 Functions, 5 Speeds,

5 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'd buy a cheap one to start. Otherwise you spend $100+ on something you may or may not ever use again. 

We went this route.

We wore it out after a few years and replaced it with a nicer model.

• Thumb up 2

Been forced to eat a lot of soft and cold foods lately so been using this opportunity to eat more yogurt.

The realization dawned upon me that I can use preserves and jam to mix that with yogurt and ice cream for mad flavors. So I buy tubs of plain or vanilla yogurt and mix jam with them for flavor.

Right now I am having plain yogurt with peach preserves mixed in. It's pretty good.

• Thumb up 2

13 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Been forced to eat a lot of soft and cold foods lately so been using this opportunity to eat more yogurt.

The realization dawned upon me that I can use preserves and jam to mix that with yogurt and ice cream for mad flavors. So I buy tubs of plain or vanilla yogurt and mix jam with them for flavor.

Right now I am having plain yogurt with peach preserves mixed in. It's pretty good.

My almost daily breakfast is Fage plain 0% fat yogurt mixed with honey or strawberry preserves and granola.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Add to a blender: Greek yogurt (any flavor), almond milk, frozen fruit (that compliments the yogurt), blend & drink. Might need to add a small amount of honey. I like to use a frozen a banana w/ to Oikos triple zero vanilla yogurt, almond milk & a squeeze of honey. Great way to start the day...

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

Cooking Easter supper the day after... we ended up eating out yesterday which was blasphemy to me.  

Simple menu

Pan seared NY strip steak with garlic/herb rub 

Double baked stuffed potatoes (TRY THESE!!!)

Ceasar Salad....

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

My almost daily breakfast is Fage plain 0% fat yogurt mixed with honey or strawberry preserves and granola.  

Greek is a little too thick for me, but I love yogurt.   I love cottage cheese too, any fruit works. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Going to make moussaka starting today. First baking the sliced potatoes. You're supposed to peel them first, think I'll leave the skins on for the vitamins, they're gold potatoes anyway. Tomorrow will be the meat sauce and eggplant slices, Thursday the bechamel sauce, assembly and eating. I'm going to give some to my daughter, she's been very good to me lately. 

Next big casserole is pastissio. Back to back Greek dishes that I've never made before and have wanted to try because they're my favorites.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Going to make moussaka starting today. First baking the sliced potatoes. You're supposed to peel them first, think I'll leave the skins on for the vitamins, they're gold potatoes anyway. Tomorrow will be the meat sauce and eggplant slices, Thursday the bechamel sauce, assembly and eating. I'm going to give some to my daughter, she's been very good to me lately. 

Next big casserole is pastissio. Back to back Greek dishes that I've never made before and have wanted to try because they're my favorites.

Speaking of eggplants... my wife makes batter out of chickpeas flour with some spices and stuff and then dips the slices in them and then deep fried. I am not big on eggplants but I can eat them like this though. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Speaking of eggplants... my wife makes batter out of chickpeas flour with some spices and stuff and then dips the slices in them and then deep fried. I am not big on eggplants but I can eat them like this though. :) 

I made fritters like this with corn and onions for a party once and they were a smash hit.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1