Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I use the jarred minced garlic a lot. Sometimes the grocery store has a small container of garlic cloves that I buy. Also, I buy a bigger container of garlic cloves, process them, and put them in half pint mason jars with different oils and herbs. I did that a few Xmas times ago for presents.

• Like 2

If chopping garlic is to much for you then I'd recommend getting a garlic press.  Or you can use this:

00875208000646_a1c1_desktop.png?rev=9b05

which I find to be better/fresher than the minced garlic in a jar.

At least until you get your knife skills up to par.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I use the jarred minced garlic a lot. Sometimes the grocery store has a small container of garlic cloves that I buy. Also, I buy a bigger container of garlic cloves, process them, and put them in half pint mason jars with different oils and herbs. I did that a few Xmas times ago for presents.

Depending on what you mean by processing, putting garlic in oil can breed botulism bacteria so you have to be careful with that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

Depending on what you mean by processing, putting garlic in oil can breed botulism bacteria so you have to be careful with that. 

Didn't know that. By processing I meant mincing cloves in a processor instead of using a knife. I then put the minced garlic in a half pint jar, add oil and herbs. I'm going to check this out. Thanks!

Edited by LadySkinsFan

Buoyed by a couple of successful "hot and fast" brisket cooks, (and getting the freezer ready for venison)I tried that method with an 8 1/2 lb pork butt.  

It only took a little over 7 hrs. Average temp was 300°   I don't typically wrap these, but I did stick it in a foil covered aluminum pan after it had a decent bark, which was when it hit 173  because I was worried that the high temp would cause a tough, bitter bark.

Like the briskets, there wasn't a noticeable stall and it was probe tender at 201°   I rested it for a couple hours in the oven then pulled and vacuum sealed it into meal-sized portions for my hunting buddies. 

Mrs. Skinsfan and I were very happy with the results.   I like the idea that 

20231116_200034.jpg

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2023 at 2:52 PM, China said:

If chopping garlic is to much for you then I'd recommend getting a garlic press.  Or you can use this:

00875208000646_a1c1_desktop.png?rev=9b05

which I find to be better/fresher than the minced garlic in a jar.

At least until you get your knife skills up to par.

I usually microplane fresh garlic cloves into dishes, but have since started using this stuff.  The ginger is awesome to have around as well.

• Like 2

I saw a recipe for Florida Shrimp Pie, basically a shrimp quiche. I'm going to add some sea scallops with the shrimp and use a different cheese. The recipe calls for pepper jack cheese, which I don't really like. So I'm going to use gruyere and Oaxaca shredded cheeses. They both melt well, the gruyere is Swiss and nutty and the Oaxaca is milder. 

I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow.

• Thumb up 1

Okay, here's some soup stages. It tastes pretty good!

1. Soup after cooking and before blending.

2. After blending, before freezing. I got 3 servings to freeze and 1 for lunch.

3. Soup after addition of milk and sour cream. 

My house smells like a Hungarian restaurant!

IMG_20231121_143010905.jpg

IMG_20231121_145732453.jpg

IMG_20231121_151134239.jpg

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

19 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Okay, here's some soup stages. It tastes pretty good!

1. Soup after cooking and before blending.

2. After blending, before freezing. I got 3 servings to freeze and 1 for lunch.

3. Soup after addition of milk and sour cream. 

My house smells like a Hungarian restaurant!

IMG_20231121_143010905.jpg

IMG_20231121_145732453.jpg

That looks amazing...and I bet it smells amazing too!

Mom just got back from one of her bucket list vacations,  (a European river cruise), and Budapest was one of the stops. She said that the food was fantastic and they put paprika in a lot of food.  I think that they spent a couple days there and tried a lot of local food, (Mom is the reason that I'm such a foodie and love to cook😎) She brought me some spices back. I can't wait to try the Podravka Vegeta.  It's supposed to be savory and is used in a lot of Hungarian dishes.20231122_123853.thumb.jpg.15153071eb7d67caea3009e19892d863.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Mom just got back from one of her bucket list vacations,  (a European river cruise), and Budapest was one of the stops. She said that the food was fantastic and they put paprika in a lot of food.  I think that they spent a couple days there and tried a lot of local food, (Mom is the reason that I'm such a foodie and love to cook😎) She brought me some spices back. I can't wait to try the Podravka Vegeta.  It's supposed to be savory and is used in a lot of Hungarian dishes.20231122_123853.thumb.jpg.15153071eb7d67caea3009e19892d863.jpg

3041772-b3a.png

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I like to make chicken paprikash too, all the sweet paprika and sour cream. Plus you can start it and let it stew and add the sour cream at the end. The mushroom soup had sweet paprika, dried dill, I added some garlic powder too. Veggie broth before blending. I'm glad I'm freezing some too because it's not something I want to eat every day until it's gone! 

You're lucky you're mom brought you presents!

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1