Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

• 2 weeks later...

Y'all got me craving my husband's smoked crab legs now...he was awesome with the salmon cakes too, but we got the crab cakes from Pappadeaux at $15/each back then, I can't imagine what they cost now--but they came with a great lemon butter sauce. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Today's dish is a Thai Chicken Curry with coconut milk and other spices. I found a recipe and I'm going to tweak it with different spices because I don't have red curry paste. I have regular curry powder, so I'll add a bit of turmeric, coriander, and maybe some fish sauce and soy sauce, just a couple of drops of those so it's not too salty. Over jasmine rice. I'll make a few servings because I go to the retina doc tomorrow morning.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, China said:

Spatch****ed a chicken and I made a Peri-Peri marinade that's it sitting in overnight for tomorrow.

QgTr2kh.jpg

That's the only way I'll grill, or roast, a whole chicken.   It's so much faster....

Edit: it's not the only way...sometimes I'll spin 'em😁

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Thumb up 1

Usually buy canned pasta sauce like Ragu but made my own yesterday. from the Giada cookbooks. It required an hour of simmering but I can just play PS5 during that time. Anyway after like 30 minutes of prep and an hour of simmering the final product isn't that bad.

Good stuff that can last for days.

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Usually buy canned pasta sauce like Ragu but made my own yesterday. from the Giada cookbooks. It required an hour of simmering but I can just play PS5 during that time. Anyway after like 30 minutes of prep and an hour of simmering the final product isn't that bad.

...or freeze some in individual servings for later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Keep practicing and you'll find how you like to season it and you'll go from "isn't that bad" to "why would I bother buying Ragu ever again."

The tomatoes you use matter by the way. Lots of people make a big deal about buying DOP San Marzano canned tomatoes, but they can be expensive if you're getting the real deal. Cans marked "San Marzano style" are often pretty solid, and you can experiment with a few until you find a brand you like. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Glad to see you're experimenting with recipes! It's fun once you learn some basics and can then improvise.

I improvise recipes every day. Pans and cooking utensils, use of oils, salt, and sweeteners, and cooking methods to account for time are part of this. I do this often with my mom's recipes and am happy to taste childhood memories again. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Kudos, and I'm certainly not one to critique cuz I cook on the cheap...please say you served it with toasted bread of some sort? 

Of course!  

I think this actually is a fairly inexpensive, easy recipes.  

The only thing that could be expensive is the cheese.  But I used some fairly inexpensive Gruyère cheese and it was fine.

Otherwise it’s 3 onions, beef broth and bread.   

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Of course!  

I think this actually is a fairly inexpensive, easy recipes.  

The only thing that could be expensive is the cheese.  But I used some fairly inexpensive Gruyère cheese and it was fine.

Otherwise it’s 3 onions, beef broth and bread.   

I usually have at least 3 versions of cheese, you never know!   Cheddar for crackers, AM for grilled, Swiss and Provolone for sammiches... 

• Like 2

Tonight's dinner was chicken paprikash. Easy prep and let it cook on the stove for a couple of hours. Roasted some cut potatoes in oil and salt and pepper. I have two more servings left. Used three boneless skinless thighs. I might freeze one, I'll decide tomorrow. 

Tomorrow might be kielbasa, pierogies, cabbage (slaw, already cut), onion, and maybe sliced apples. Sheet pan dinner.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Tenderloin is dirt cheap at the LA Mart. 

IMG_5967.jpeg

Too bad there isn't one close to me, they have flanks steak for $5.99/lb (they're selling flanks steak for $13.99 at the Harris Teeter near me, and $11.99 at Giant).

Beef and broccoli for dinner, based on my new The Wok of Life cookbook. Of course I altered the recipe somewhat based on my cooking tools and food. The broccoli was frozen and I took it out and put it in a covered container for about an hour. The beef comes in strips from the grocery store, no cutting with stir fry cut. I made the sauce per the recipe. Steamed some jasmine rice. Yum! 

IMG_20240202_171323736.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...