Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I got a 1/3 lb. chuck burger out this morning, coulda done at least a half dozen things with it, but I really wanted a mushroom & Swiss.  In Worcestershire and on the Foreman, with new potatoes & an avocado.  I wasn't going out for buns.

(Oh, and Guldens.)

20240218_174801.thumb.jpg.aeb49260f3a58d6db710a680d071b85f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Avgolemono.  Greek lemony chicken soup. From scratch except for the orzo. 

IMG_0121.jpeg

IMG_0122.jpeg

IMG_0123.jpeg

I made that once.  It's delicious, and my daughter's favorite soup.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, China said:

I made that once.  It's delicious, and my daughter's favorite soup.

Yea, it’s really good. My office moved last week, so im no longer within easy walking distance of The Greek Deli at M and 19th, where the avgolemono has a Soup Nazi-type following. So I made it myself. 

https://www.washingtonian.com/2009/11/05/how-to-make-the-greek-delis-avgolemono-soup/

• Like 1

Below photo is my corned beef ready for vacuum packing for the freezer after Day 9 of the process. . I did a dry brine on the whole slab of brisket and I really like the recipe. I stored it in the fridge for seven days, turning over once every day. I then took it out of the bag, rinsed it off completely, and put it in a big marinating bag with a lot of water to draw the salt out. Into the fridge over night. Yesterday, I took it out of the fridge and into the pot with a lot of water. Turned up the heat to just a slight boil, then down to slow simmer for about 5 hours. I then took it out and into a bag and back into the fridge until this early afternoon. I saved some of my cooking fluid to cook veggies in it today. I cut it against the grain  into 3 pieces, 2 for the freezer and one for later today.  

By using the water bath before cooking and a lot of water during, there's almost no salt in the meat. The cooking liquid is slightly salty.

IMG_20240309_131744060.jpg

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I made linguini with white clam sauce over the weekend. Was delicious! Sometimes I buy the canned clam sauce, this time I made it from scratch with minced clams, olive oil, and herbs and spices.

I've been jonesing for some linguine and clams.  I believe you've pushed me over the edge.  My parsley is starting to come in already too.  Store tomorrow for the rest of the goods.

• Thumb up 2

My parsley was dried from the store. I can't grow anything here, I've tried many kinds of plants. Sometimes if I want to use lots of herbs in a recipe, I'll buy the fresh leaves in the store, otherwise it's dried.

I'm guessing that your fresh parsley is going to make all the difference in your delicious sauce!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

My parsley was dried from the store. I can't grow anything here, I've tried many kinds of plants. Sometimes if I want to use lots of herbs in a recipe, I'll buy the fresh leaves in the store, otherwise it's dried.

I'm guessing that your fresh parsley is going to make all the difference in your delicious sauce!

Stuff is a like a weed in my backyard. Stays green all year. Volunteers everywhere from letting it go to seed (the butterflies love it ).   

• Thumb up 1

It’s not Taco Tuesday as it’s spring and I now golf on Tuesday afternoon/evenings, but this is the start of some carne asada.  

Butterflied and pounded flap meat rubbed down with adobo, sazon and Spanglish asadero’s mexican bbq seasoning, fresh orange and lime juice, crushed garlic, onion, cilantro, and avocado oil.

IMG_4420.jpeg

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

@Skinsfan1311 (or anyone else)

I've got a big ass ham to smoke for Easter.  It's 17 pounds, bone in.  

I've had a lot of success smoking various meats, a lot of pork shoulders but also some turkeys and ribs.  Haven't smoked a ham before, I'm assuming you'd smoke it just like you would a pork shoulder, but I have seen a bunch of conflicting information on YouTube and when people are smoking hams they're usually smoking spiral sliced.  This cut ain't that.

So any insight would be appreciated. 

40 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

@Skinsfan1311 (or anyone else)

I've got a big ass ham to smoke for Easter.  It's 17 pounds, bone in.  

I've had a lot of success smoking various meats, a lot of pork shoulders but also some turkeys and ribs.  Haven't smoked a ham before, I'm assuming you'd smoke it just like you would a pork shoulder, but I have seen a bunch of conflicting information on YouTube and when people are smoking hams they're usually smoking spiral sliced.  This cut ain't that.

So any insight would be appreciated. 

Raw or already smoked/cooked ham?  I've done a ton of smoking, can reliably nail shoulder/brisket/etc, and lots of good whole hogs.  For some reason, hams are tricky.  If it is already smoked, you really just want to rewarm it.  Very light smoke, add a nice homemade glaze, not much time needed.  Cooking from raw, I'd do a dry brine/cure overnight and then gently smoke up to 150-160.  Will be slice-able and tender/juicy, not pullable.   Not enough intramuscular fat/collagen to take up to typical pork shoulder temps.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

Raw or already smoked/cooked ham?  I've done a ton of smoking, can reliably nail shoulder/brisket/etc, and lots of good whole hogs.  For some reason, hams are tricky.  If it is already smoked, you really just want to rewarm it.  Very light smoke, add a nice homemade glaze, not much time needed.  Cooking from raw, I'd do a dry brine/cure overnight and then gently smoke up to 150-160.  Will be slice-able and tender/juicy, not pullable.   Not enough intramuscular fat/collagen to take up to typical pork shoulder temps.  

It's raw.  And yeah, I've surmised as much to do a brine/cure that I'll start sometime Saturday.

You're saying 150-160 internal temperature is when it's done?  I've got a Weber Kettle that I smoke on, there's no temperature gauge so it's kind of hard to pin down the cooking temperature, I mainly rely on the look/feel and taking some internal temperatures along the way.

If that's the case, I'm planning on setting up a charcoal snake and doing it that way.  Good to know that it won't be pullable.