Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Moussaka, out of the oven! Goodness, a multiday production for sure. It's basically an all day process even though the recipe says 3 hours. Maybe if there's two ovens, and several cooks! It took over an hour just for the bechamel sauce. It's cooling down now. I'm giving about half to my daughter and granddaughter. More pictures when I dish it out. That might be much later today!

IMG_20240407_164744062.jpg

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Easy stuff. 

Toasted a bolillo roll, split & spread the last of my pimiento cheese.  Added a well-fried hot dog, chili sauce with some Texas Pete, red onion & Guldens. 

Baked seasoned crinkles and kidney beans (I LOVE BEANS).

20240407_175752.thumb.jpg.7ea26ace903b346f6b0227e5ed678701.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Well, the moussaka went into the fridge. I wanted it firmer to cut into pieces and it will work better cold. So tomorrow is a feast day. Next Greek dish is pastissio, which I think will be much easier to make. Special noodles, meat sauce, and bechamel sauce. Will be later this month.

BTW, the bechamel sauce turned out really great on the moussaka. I can't wait to taste it. Nutmeg is the main spice. It baked up firm and perfect, at least it looks that way.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

That was what everyone said about our moose, it had just the right amount of nutmeg. 

One owner passed away last year, his husband closed the restaurant and moved back to Savannah,...it's right across the street from the hippy-dippy pizza joint I was hired by yesterday.  :)

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

That was what everyone said about our moose, it had just the right amount of nutmeg. 

One owner passed away last year, his husband closed the restaurant and moved back to Savannah,...it's right across the street from the hippy-dippy pizza joint I was hired by yesterday.  :)

Good on ya!  Hippy dippy za is usually pretty good and pricey.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Good on ya!  Hippy dippy za is usually pretty good and pricey.

Actually, it's not there!  It's very,very good, and very reasonable, therefore extremely busy.  Huge slice with 2 toppings and a drink is just under $10.  There are super specials. 

(My previous Italian joint had over-priced lunch to an absolutely silly level.) 

Bosses have full sleeves, it's no uniform (wear what you want).  

Very much my style. 

• Like 1

My wife made her Jackfruit soup today after I nagged her for it a lot lately. In the Philippines it is better because the ingredients are easy to get and the Jackfruit is fresh but I can eat more of this stuff than anything else and I feel totally fine after eating. Which is quite a feat. It has lime in it and is a little sour but I usually add more. It actually tastes amazing. Online its called KBL but I just call it Jackfruit soup.

This pic is the closest I could find that looks like what she makes. She uses the little red beans or green ones instead of those though.

image.jpeg.c8b63c523c24040a7a68c9d630dd80e9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

My son is obsessed with Nando’s so I attempted to make it at home.  Even bought the peri-peri salt from Amazon.

Fired up the pellet grill with Royal Oak charcoal pellets, marinated some boneless thighs in Nando’s medium garlic sauce, a ton of puréed garlic and avocado oil.  Recreated the Portuguese rice, side salad w, homemade balsamic, and air fried some frozen fries and tossed with the salt.

IMG_4470.jpeg

IMG_4472.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 4

Yum, looks delicious! 

I ate some moussaka today, it's really good! I froze about four servings, and put some in a container for my family. I was so hungry that I just ate it before I took a picture. Later!

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Given my son’s addiction to Nandos, I made the Nandos chicken sandwich.  Boneless thighs marinated in Nandos hot sauce, fresh garlic and avocado oil.  Topped with cheddar, griddled pineapple, pickles, arugula and spicy mayo.

IMG_4500.jpeg

IMG_4501.jpeg

IMG_4502.jpeg

IMG_4503.jpeg

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

Yum! 

I'm making my grocery shopping list for Saturday. Have several interesting recipes I want to try. It's also the time I order the large packs of paper towels, toilet paper, storage bags, dish soap, and foil. These products last several months.

• Thumb up 2

Yummy!

Picked up my groceries! Have a few new recipes I want to try. A chicken and asparagus dish is one, I might slice some green pears in it. I got some thin sliced chicken breasts and bone in pork chops, most of these get vacuum packed and in the freezer tomorrow. Then I stopped by my usual chicken tender place for tenders and coleslaw, and a Coke. Deliciousl

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

No matter what I do, I can’t get the color I’d prefer grilling over high heat on a pellet grill, even with 100% charcoal pellets.  Still tastes great though.

Filet seasoned with a mixture of Holy Cow, and Kinders Cowboy Butter and Caramelized Onion Butter rubs.  Onions, shrooms, and garlic finished with W sauce and garlic butter when they came off, and corn with roasted potatoes.

IMG_4547.jpeg

IMG_4548.jpeg

IMG_4549.jpeg

IMG_4550.jpeg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Pwyl said:

Super chonky spaghetti sauce since I can no longer have noodles. 

PXL_20240421_231908747.jpg

We always load up our pasta with veg when making any spaghetti-ish dish.  We use the Barilla protein penne, and load up with bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini and lean ground beef to fill up the plate without as many carbs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

We always load up our pasta with veg when making any spaghetti-ish dish.  We use the Barilla protein penne, and load up with bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini and lean ground beef to fill up the plate without as many carbs.

I'll look for those.  I've tried a few different substitute pastas and most of them either still have a lot of carbs or a wonky texture.  I have a sack of shiritaki mushroom noodles to try some time too.  

And your veggie list is exactly what's in this one except add black olives. :cheers:  

Usually I use mild Italian sausage but only had ground beef today. 

• Like 3