Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

2 hours ago, China said:

I don't see an old fashioned or a glass of bourbon in the picture.  Did you assemble that sober?

You also dont see a pile of tools or numerous pieces of unused hardware. Just because they aren’t in the frame doesn’t mean they aren’t close at hand. 

• Like 2

Let me know if you have any interest in buying my Chargriller Akorn. I think it retails for $300. My wife listed it on FB Marketplace for $200. I’ll let anyone from ES have it, plus the temperature controller, for $150. 

Pics are below. It’s in great condition, garage-kept, and it also comes with the heat disburser stone and the second grate that fits above the main grate. The main grate has some rust on it, so you might need a new one if you plan to cook directly on it. 

This is the temperature control thingy:  https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=396

Dog not included. 

IMG_7133.jpeg

IMG_7134.jpeg

IMG_7135.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

On 11/2/2023 at 5:06 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Let me know if you have any interest in buying my Chargriller Akorn. I think it retails for $300. My wife listed it on FB Marketplace for $200. I’ll let anyone from ES have it, plus the temperature controller, for $150. 

Pics are below. It’s in great condition, garage-kept, and it also comes with the heat disburser stone and the second grate that fits above the main grate. The main grate has some rust on it, so you might need a new one if you plan to cook directly on it. 

This is the temperature control thingy:  https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=396

Dog not included. 

IMG_7133.jpeg

IMG_7134.jpeg

IMG_7135.jpeg

I would get it if I lived in the area. 

unless you want to ship to CA lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

do you notice much of a flavor difference from low and slow vs hot and fast? Does the fat render as well?

Take another look at the picture, and you tell me 😉

Seriously though, I've done a lot of briskets over the years and the only difference is the time.    It renders the fat just as well as low and slow. 

Avg temp at the grate was 360 degrees.  I cooked it on a Weber Smokey Mountain, fat side down until the the bark set, (it looked okay at 170, but was firmly set at 175 internal in the flat) then stuck it, fat-side up, in a tightly wrapped aluminum pan with a generous dollop of beef tallow, (that I made the day before when I trimmed the brisket), and it was probe-tender at 201 degrees.   I rested it in a cooler for a couple of hours.

I "discovered" the hot and fast method last year.   This is the 2nd one that I've tried hot and fast, (just to make sure that the first one that turned out so well wasn't a fluke, or dumb luck) and it turned out perfect.  Great bark, tender and juicy.     

That was a 15.5lb , (trimmed), Prime packer and the cook time was 7hrs 15min     Low and slow that bad-boy could've taken 12-14 hours.

I could barely get it to fit on the 18.5" smoker.  I had to drape it over a chunk of wood and wedge it between the grate handles to make it fit.  You can see the light spot on top, from resting on the wood.

hot and fast brisket start.jpg

hot and fast brisket 1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

^^^  I absolutely love brisket, and that looks fabulous!!! 

Thanks!   We do too.

It's a rare treat for Mrs. Skinsfan and I.  This one was on sale at Costco, last year sometime, for $3.49lb, (Prime!), and I couldn't pass it up.  The main reason for cooking this one is that deer season is fast approaching, and I need room in the freezer. 😉    Not sure how much freezer space was gained, because I froze the point, (for burnt ends), and a few meal-sized portions for later.   Our youngest came by for dinner that night, and helped put a dent in it.  I vacuum sealed a few portions for him to take home and freeze too.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I've done a lot of briskets, and find that I prefer fast methods for prime grade and above and low-and-slow for lower grades.  Always buy prime (or better) if you can, but a choice brisket done low-and-slow is still great.   

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I've done a lot of briskets, and find that I prefer fast methods for prime grade and above and low-and-slow for lower grades.  Always buy prime (or better) if you can, but a choice brisket done low-and-slow is still great.   

That makes sense.

I only do a couple a year, so I don't bother with any grade but Prime. I'm a cheap ****, so I wait until I see them on sale at Costco, which happens a few times a year at our Costco.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I'm making macaroni and cheese today. I bought some Barber Raw Chicken breasts stuffed with either cordon bleu or brie and apples. I'm taking the easy way out cooking today. It's raining and overcast and I want something simple. 

Ha!  I went even easier than that...tomato soup (with milk so it's creamy) and a grilled cheese sammich (white American). :D

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Smoked a turkey last weekend. Trial run for Thanksgiving. 

Injected it with bacon fat, butter and maple syrup. 

Came out awesome. First time I’ve ever wanted a second helping of turkey. Really juicy…there will be no dry ass flavorless white meat at my table on Thanksgiving. 

IMG_3878.jpeg

72081457767__3CE5E106-E32D-4838-A4C2-28B6EEF8F82F.jpeg

72081691891__E331D093-8E2A-4B37-9195-6A7B532BB18E.jpeg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

So, I've had this Butterball turkey breast roast in the freezer for years (I think we were gonna make it but went back to the standing rib roast tradition that started in Savannah) and I don't know if I should try to use it.  I mean, it's been frozen and will probably take a day or two to thaw...whadda y'all think? 

Btw, I've never cooked a turkey in my life.  :ols:

• Thumb up 1