Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

1 hour ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Some twice baked potatoes.  Good excuse to eat the skins.  Full of yummy goodness.

IMG_20231008_182224011.jpg

Love em! 

Funny story (I think, anyway)...

When I worked at bennigan's in like '92, if you were late you had to spend an hour scooping skins (partially for the potato soup that, as a server, you were required to offer.)  

I met so many famous people there.  

Memories. 😎

• Like 2

I made these ribs yesterday:  https://pitbarrelcooker.com/blogs/food/jamaican-jerk-spareribs

I've made this recipe dozens of times, and wouldn't change a thing.  Maybe my favorite pork recipe of all.  I really prefer the jerk seasoning over the traditional southern-style BBQ on ribs (not that "regular" BBQ is bad, just these are so amazing).  Give it a try, especially if you like a bit of spice.

We had scotch bonnets yesterday, but have substituted habaneros when I couldn't find the SBs and it's just as good.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Really the first day waking up and contemplating turning the heat on, call for soup.

Hot Italian sausage and veggie soup.

IMG_4092.jpeg

IMG_4093.jpeg

IMG_4094.jpeg

You just gave me inspiration.  Gonna make a badass soup to freeze in small batches for the winter via the food saver.  I have a giant pot (we bought for Low Country Boil back in the day) and it'll work just as well as for chili/spag sauce/soup.  :)

• Like 3

Homemade Canadian bacon...pork loin is cured with sugar, salt, pink salt and some garlic powder.  Going in for a hot smoke 275° (only because my smoker won't go to 325° which is what meathead calls for) until it's 145°. 

My wife is calling me a mad scientist due to the hunks of meat that sit in solution for days on end taking up mad space in the fridge 😂.  

I'll post an update pic when it's done.

IMG_20231014_074409647.jpg

Finished product 

IMG_20231014_103034442.jpg

Edited by The 12th Commandment
  • Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

10 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Buy yourself a wood pizza peel...stainless sucks

To be clear, I don't plan on ever cooking a pizza in the thing.  I plan on using it like a steakhouse broiler. 

I just bought $150 worth of Lodge cast iron ****.  The lizard part of my brain has taken over. 

Also, I'm probably going to get rid of my smoker.  I haven't made a final decision yet, but will probably give it away free to a good home.

It's this one, but 10 years old (garage kept).  https://www.chargriller.com/collections/all-kamado-grills/products/akorn-graphite-16620?_gl=1*gnj7a5*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTQ4MTk0NDE2Ny4xNjk3ODA3MDU2*_ga_4KM0RQRY7J*MTY5NzgwNzA1NS4xLjEuMTY5NzgwNzA2MC4wLjAuMA..

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2

I found a recipe for cornbread enchiladas. Ingredients like regular enchiladas except no tortillas, using cornbread instead. You prepare and bake the cornbread first in a skillet in the oven first. Then poke holes in the baked cornbread using the end of a spoon then pour half of the enchilada sauce on the cornbread. Then add the enchilada sauced filling on top and then cheese. Back into the oven until hot through. 

I think that I could more easily cut portions and freeze them. Plus I can use my mom's cast iron skillet. 

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I found a recipe for cornbread enchiladas. Ingredients like regular enchiladas except no tortillas, using cornbread instead. You prepare and bake the cornbread first in a skillet in the oven first. Then poke holes in the baked cornbread using the end of a spoon then pour half of the enchilada sauce on the cornbread. Then add the enchilada sauced filling on top and then cheese. Back into the oven until hot through. 

I think that I could more easily cut portions and freeze them. Plus I can use my mom's cast iron skillet. 

The New Mexican version of the Midwest covered dish is a green chile chicken enchilada casserole.  People bring it to pretty much every potluck or gathering.  Portions and freezes very well.   Think you'll really like it and it's easy.  We do them flat, like lasagna, so you don't have to roll and cream of mushroom soup ( somehow tastes better than cream of chicken) is most of the sauce so it's easy.  Im sure it would be fine with can or jar green chiles.

https://www.food.com/recipe/green-chile-chicken-enchiladas-387982

I almost always have portions in saran wrap in my freezer for tired days.  Some sour cream on top after you heat it up in the microwave.  Sometimes an over easy egg on top.  Mmmmm

Not that it should matter to you, but the cornbread thing sounds like it would be a gloppy mess.  No doubt taste good tho.

Edited by The 12th Commandment

1 hour ago, The 12th Commandment said:

The New Mexican version of the Midwest covered dish is a green chile chicken enchilada casserole.  People bring it to pretty much every potluck or gathering.  Portions and freezes very well.   Think you'll really like it and it's easy.  We do them flat, like lasagna, so you don't have to roll and cream of mushroom soup ( somehow tastes better than cream of chicken) is most of the sauce so it's easy.  Im sure it would be fine with can or jar green chiles.

https://www.food.com/recipe/green-chile-chicken-enchiladas-387982

I almost always have portions in saran wrap in my freezer for tired days.  Some sour cream on top after you heat it up in the microwave.  Sometimes an over easy egg on top.  Mmmmm

Not that it should matter to you, but the cornbread thing sounds like it would be a gloppy mess.  No doubt taste good tho.

Thanks for the recipe! I'll give it a try. 

I'm going to cut down the amount of enchilada sauce so it's just enough to flavor. Yeah, gloppy cornbread doesn't sound appetizing!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

To be clear, I don't plan on ever cooking a pizza in the thing.  I plan on using it like a steakhouse broiler. 

I just bought $150 worth of Lodge cast iron ****.  The lizard part of my brain has taken over. 

Also, I'm probably going to get rid of my smoker.  I haven't made a final decision yet, but will probably give it away free to a good home.

It's this one, but 10 years old (garage kept).  https://www.chargriller.com/collections/all-kamado-grills/products/akorn-graphite-16620?_gl=1*gnj7a5*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTQ4MTk0NDE2Ny4xNjk3ODA3MDU2*_ga_4KM0RQRY7J*MTY5NzgwNzA1NS4xLjEuMTY5NzgwNzA2MC4wLjAuMA..

If I were you, I wouldn't buy lodge I'd go higher end.  They are legitimately better.  Lodge has that rough surface that takes years to build up the non-stick thing where as the pricier ones are machined smooth and become non-stick much quicker.  I have a sixty year old smooth machined one and it rocks.  Nothing wrong with lodge, I use them too but I do notice a big difference.  Particularly for searing.  There are some interesting videos on youtube about machining your lodges smooth with a grinder.  More work than I care to do tho.  Just sayin

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

If I were you, I wouldn't buy lodge I'd go higher end.  They are legitimately better.  Lodge has that rough surface that takes years to build up the non-stick thing where as the pricier ones are machined smooth and become non-stick much quicker.  I have a sixty year old smooth machined one and it rocks.  Nothing wrong with lodge, I use them too but I do notice a big difference.  Particularly for searing.  There are some interesting videos on youtube about machining your lodges smooth with a grinder.  More work than I care to do tho.  Just sayin

Helpful.  Do you have a brand or website for the high-end stuff?

34 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

My mom's pan is a Griswold, and since I'm 72, I'm guessing it's older than that. It's machined smooth and is seasoned. My mom used to make fried chicken in it and other dishes. It's going to my daughter whenever.

• Like 1