Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Ah venison. I so love it. It’s ****ing infuriating because when I was in college (in WV), my good friend went hunting constantly and we had a literally overflowing supply of venison. It was breakfast, lunch, dinner and “get home a 3 am drunk AF” provisions. IT WAS LITERALLY FREE. 

Now, the only place I can get it in Nova is a high end butcher and it’s $29.99/lb. Like ****ing wagyu beef prices. 

The advantage of knowing people you allow to hunt on your property is they give you some.

• Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Ah venison. I so love it. It’s ****ing infuriating because when I was in college (in WV), my good friend went hunting constantly and we had a literally overflowing supply of venison. It was breakfast, lunch, dinner and “get home a 3 am drunk AF” provisions. IT WAS LITERALLY FREE. 

Now, the only place I can get it in Nova is a high end butcher and it’s $29.99/lb. Like ****ing wagyu beef prices. 

My best friend from HS and her family are in Springfield and they send me deer bologna when her husband gets one. It's ****in' awesome. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Making the cornbread enchiladas tomorrow, using ground beef instead of chicken.

Also, I got some more ground beef and ground pork, made some raw meatloaf mix with milk, eggs, and stuffing, onion and spices. Froze individual portions so I can make small loaves after thawing. Made four of them, they're in the freezer. I can get two meals out of one loaf. Will make a tomato glaze when I bake them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yup!   It's so good and so many ways to prep and cook it.  I just used the last of it to make jerky today.  My wife doesn't eat it, but my Mom, Sister and Uncle love it, so I give a deer to my Mom to share with them and I keep a tenderloin and few roasts.  What I don't finish before deer season, I make into jerky.  I ended up with enough to turn 4 lbs of trimmed meat to into jerky today.

• Thumb up 2

And it was yummy! I love savory cornbread, not sweet. I didn't add any salt to the cornbread or the meat. I figured that the enchilada sauce would have plenty, I added capers to the cornbread. And who knows about the Colby jack cheese. 

I did poke some holes in the baked cornbread using a bamboo skewer and didn't go to the bottom. So I have lots of servings to freeze. 

My mom's cast iron skillet worked perfectly! I heated the pan in the oven first, melted some Crisco in it, then added the cornbread mix after letting it sit for a few minutes. The cornbread is perfect, light. I only used a half can of enchilada sauce to the meat and it was the perfect amount.

So happy with this recipe!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

@BatteredFanSyndrome may have some choice words for you. 

Damn skippy.

If you are at home preparing food for your family, particularly when you put in the effort to produce flavorful food - there’s already a ton of dishes that goes with that.  I prefer keep the wife happy with less plates and bowls to wash.

Nice tableware has no flavor. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The only reason I can say that is we’ve had relatively defined roles since we’ve been together.  I do all the cooking and most of the shopping, she does all the dishes.

One of my GFs and I had the same deal. I cooked, she cleaned up. Worked perfectly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The only reason I can say that is we’ve had relatively defined roles since we’ve been together.  I do all the cooking and most of the shopping, she does all the dishes.

Same deal I have with my wife.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, China said:

Same deal I have with my wife.

On that rare occasion my wife cooks a meal (the most complicated recipe that includes several 1 time use ingredients in a 1 lb jar/container) I will do the dishes. I try to encourage her cooking but she knows it's probably best to stick with the clean up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Damn skippy.

If you are at home preparing food for your family, particularly when you put in the effort to produce flavorful food - there’s already a ton of dishes that goes with that.  I prefer keep the wife happy with less plates and bowls to wash.

Nice tableware has no flavor. 

My comment was amusing to me because we actually eat most of our meals off of paper plates for just this reason.  

• Like 1