Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I'm going to make some shrimp with lobster sauce sometime this week. No lobster in it. I found a recipe from some people who used to run a Chinese restaurant and it's relatively simple. I don't have the special Chinese wine on hand but the recipe says you can use sherry instead and it's only one tablespoon. It's my favorite Chinese dish and I can't find a restaurant around who makes it like normal and I'm done paying for food that I don't like. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I'm going to make some shrimp with lobster sauce sometime this week. No lobster in it. I found a recipe from some people who used to run a Chinese restaurant and it's relatively simple. I don't have the special Chinese wine on hand but the recipe says you can use sherry instead and it's only one tablespoon. It's my favorite Chinese dish and I can't find a restaurant around who makes it like normal and I'm done paying for food that I don't like. 

I was reading somewhere the other day that shrimp with lobster sauce in Massachusetts is brown.  Ewwww

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, The 12th Commandment said:

I was reading somewhere the other day that shrimp with lobster sauce in Massachusetts is brown.  Ewwww

I got some here last month that had shrimp in it but that was the only thing I recognized and as for taste, well it didn't taste like lobster sauce. I'm making mine from the recipe I found.

https://thewoksoflife.com/shrimp-lobster-sauce/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I got some here last month that had shrimp in it but that was the only thing I recognized and as for taste, well it didn't taste like lobster sauce. I'm making mine from the recipe I found.

https://thewoksoflife.com/shrimp-lobster-sauce/

That's what I'm talking about.  Silky, eggy almost clear sauce with peas in it.  Yum!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Gonna try to do a pork shoulder on the Weber kettle, low and slow.  Been looking at videos on how to do the snake method, seems pretty simple and straightforward.

Went out at lunch today, got the pork shoulder, some dry rub.  Mustard all over it to use as adhesive for the rub on the meat and it's marinating in the fridge.  I'll take it out around 5 am tomorrow and get the grill going, probably let it go for 12 hours or so.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

I spend a lot of time and effort making more elaborate meals.  But nothing quite beats those nights where some thawed chicken breasts that were never going to get eaten, hanging out in the freezer get seasoned up and seared on the BS for simple street tacos.  I can’t possibly praise the Blackstone enough.  If only for the tacos, making you feel like a street side taqueria, get one - you won’t regret it.

IMG_3584.jpeg

IMG_3585.jpeg

IMG_3586.jpeg

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I spend a lot of time and effort making more elaborate meals.  But nothing quite beats those nights where some thawed chicken breasts that were never going to get eaten, hanging out in the freezer get seasoned up and seared on the BS for simple street tacos.  I can’t possibly praise the Blackstone enough.  If only for the tacos, making you feel like a street side taqueria, get one - you won’t regret it.

IMG_3584.jpeg

IMG_3585.jpeg

IMG_3586.jpeg

This may be a dumb question, but are you cutting the chicken directly on the Blackstone? And do you cook them frozen, or do you let them thaw out?

17 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Gonna try to do a pork shoulder on the Weber kettle, low and slow.  Been looking at videos on how to do the snake method, seems pretty simple and straightforward.

Went out at lunch today, got the pork shoulder, some dry rub.  Mustard all over it to use as adhesive for the rub on the meat and it's marinating in the fridge.  I'll take it out around 5 am tomorrow and get the grill going, probably let it go for 12 hours or so.

How big is the shoulder?    

10 hours ago, Ball Security said:

This may be a dumb question, but are you cutting the chicken directly on the Blackstone? And do you cook them frozen, or do you let them thaw out?

I found these 2 breasts awaiting their likely freezer burnt death in the bottom of the freezer the night before, and took them out to thaw.  I diced them up and seasoned them with adobo, BS street taco seasoning, lime juice and avocado oil about an hour before cooking.

I generally use thighs for this purpose, but wanted to use what we had.  Cilantro came straight from my co-workers herb garden.  Everything else, I already at home.  Highly recommend this stuff as far as store bought sauces go.  Along with the ever classic Cholula.

IMG_3587.png

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

^^^ I was gonna ask about the sauce.  I got a bottle of the Herdez verde & it's just "okay"...they make a creamy version, do you know anything about it? 

I do not like the Roja or Verde sauces from Herdez.  I think it’s because they are meant to replicate the typical salsas you get at taquerias yet need to have enough preservatives to be shelf stable, they just aren’t that good.

That said, the Avocado Cilantro sauce I posted above, it’s not necessarily creamy but in comparison to the verde sauce - it is.  I personally like to add it along with a traditional hot sauce and real avocado.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

IMG_2393.thumb.jpg.bc637ad1d410582666293a363bc05c86.jpg

Started around 6 am this morning.  Here's the setup.  

Got the snake started and while I liked this setup, I also watched another youtube BBQ channel where the guy had a complete circle around the perimeter of the kettle.  I think I might try it that way instead next time.

70972746986__64019345-9A48-4CC5-9B34-4DA3D6B6ECB0_2.thumb.jpg.0142eff1ba65279cf7afef67e305901e.jpg

That's what it looked like when I put it on.  

70974791215__5696D134-B8C0-4F8D-AA82-43F88501A323_2.thumb.jpg.048715d934fbddfecd3eb2b59a07371c.jpg

Here it is around 11:30 or so.  

Around noon, most of the coals had gone out, there wasn't much left so I dumped more in and wrapped it in tin foil.  Took it off around 3pm.

70975767430__34412F0E-C6AD-4361-970C-70B24C08D3DC_2.thumb.jpg.bdf1060e0bd50ba24d5ec71a9918595d.jpg

Finished product.  Bone started to eject by itself.  Smoke ring looks decent, the crust looks pretty good, too.  Haven't pulled it apart yet.

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Yall already ate the whole thing?!?

We put a good dent in it.  There's a lot of leftovers.  Had the MiL over for dinner last night.  

Didn't mean to make it sound like we polished off the whole thing.

But it's ****ing tremendous.  And I'm not trying to blow my own horn here, I'm far from being some kind of a pit-master.  But you know how a good steak doesn't need A1 or anything?  It was like that...didn't need any BBQ sauce, it just tasted fantastic as it was.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

We put a good dent in it.  There's a lot of leftovers.  Had the MiL over for dinner last night.  

But it's ****ing tremendous.  And I'm not trying to blow my own horn here, I'm far from being some kind of a pit-master.  But you know how a good steak doesn't need A1 or anything?  It was like that...didn't need any BBQ sauce, it just tasted fantastic as it was.

BBQ Nirvana!

The only downside to making great food at home, is that it's tough to eat anywhere else. Over the years, it's been increasingly difficult to find something at a restaurant that I can't make better myself.  I try to order things that I don't ordinarily make at home and/or unique dishes.      Thankfully, we have friends and family who are phenomenal cooks.    It looks like you're one too!  🍻

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Aaah, ok.  I was wondering cause those leftovers make great sandwiches for DAYYYYZZZZ.

Anyhoo, let me know when you graduate to smoking/roasting rib roasts…cause that’s Big Daddy Beal’s favorite!

6 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

BBQ Nirvana!

The only downside to making great food at home, is that it's tough to eat anywhere else. Over the years, it's been increasingly difficult to find something at a restaurant that I can't make better myself.  I try to order things that I don't ordinarily make at home and/or unique dishes.      Thankfully, we have friends and family who are phenomenal cooks.    It looks like you're one too!  🍻

I don't know if I'm a phenomenal cook, I'm just fairly adept at following directions.  Although Mrs. Spiff would disagree on that.  But thank you!

But to your point, I've found that if I go out and get something like a steak, I've always felt that while it's really good, I feel like I could cook something similar at home if I just didn't get my meat from the grocery store up the street or Costco.  It's hard to find good quality meat anywhere...the Organic Butcher in McLean is fantastic but that's now quite a hike from where I live.

5 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Aaah, ok.  I was wondering cause those leftovers make great sandwiches for DAYYYYZZZZ.

Anyhoo, let me know when you graduate to smoking/roasting rib roasts…cause that’s Big Daddy Beal’s favorite!

Rib roasts are on the list of things to do, for sure.  

Also after this little adventure yesterday, I've been nominated to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving.  Gonna have to do a test run on that before running the risk of having Chinese food for Thanksgiving instead if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't know if I'm a phenomenal cook, I'm just fairly adept at following directions.  Although Mrs. Spiff would disagree on that.  But thank you!

But to your point, I've found that if I go out and get something like a steak, I've always felt that while it's really good, I feel like I could cook something similar at home if I just didn't get my meat from the grocery store up the street or Costco.  It's hard to find good quality meat anywhere...the Organic Butcher in McLean is fantastic but that's now quite a hike from where I live.

Rib roasts are on the list of things to do, for sure.  

Also after this little adventure yesterday, I've been nominated to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving.  Gonna have to do a test run on that before running the risk of having Chinese food for Thanksgiving instead if you know what I mean.

They're insanely easy to do on a 22" Weber kettle.  I've been grilling them since the late 80's An added bonus is that it frees up cooking space inside.  There are tons f great resources for grilling a turkey on a Weber kettle out there.  Ignore the "low and slow" methods, which only result in longer cook times, with rubbery skin. 

You're only limited by the height of the bird....you need to get one that fits under the lid.  We usually get a 12-14 lb bird and figure on about 15 minutes per lb.   Don't sweat it if the bird is done earlier, it can rest at least 1/2 hour.   If it's done way early, you can set it in a pan and put it in a cooler.  As long as the the meat temp is above 140 degrees, it's safe.

In a nutshell, you just Indirect cook them  ~ 325-350 degrees....set disposable aluminum pan under the bird...add 8-12 lit coals every hour, and let 'er go until the thickest part of the breast reads 157 degrees.     That is not a mis-print.  157 degrees.  Carryover cooking will take it to the USDA recommended "safe" temp of 165.   Details on temps here  https://blog.thermoworks.com/tips/turkey-temps/

The only thing that I've changed, is that I'll use a rotisserie sometimes.     

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

They're insanely easy to do on a 22" Weber kettle.  I've been grilling them since the late 80's An added bonus is that it frees up cooking space inside.  There are tons f great resources for grilling a turkey on a Weber kettle out there.  Ignore the "low and slow" methods, which only result in longer cook times, with rubbery skin. 

You're only limited by the height of the bird....you need to get one that fits under the lid.  We usually get a 12-14 lb bird and figure on about 15 minutes per lb.   Don't sweat it if the bird is done earlier, it can rest at least 1/2 hour.   If it's done way early, you can set it in a pan and put it in a cooler.  As long as the the meat temp is above 140 degrees, it's safe.

In a nutshell, you just Indirect cook them  ~ 325-350 degrees....set disposable aluminum pan under the bird...add 8-12 lit coals every hour, and let 'er go until the thickest part of the breast reads 157 degrees.     That is not a mis-print.  157 degrees.  Carryover cooking will take it to the USDA recommended "safe" temp of 165.   Details on temps here  https://blog.thermoworks.com/tips/turkey-temps/

The only thing that I've changed, is that I'll use a rotisserie sometimes.     

My uncle has been telling me about this method, it's what I was planning on trying.  He puts two bricks at the bottom of his Weber and then puts the turkey in the pan and sits that on top of the bricks, fills coals around it.  

We usually get a big bird since we have a bunch of people over, I am not sure if it'll fit in my 22" Weber.  I'm curious if they sell a lid with a dome top that'd fit it.  And one with a thermometer would be nice, too.

But if I really had my druthers, I'd just fry it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Have you guys ever heard of their thing called an “oven”.  It’s perfect for a Turkey.

Sure.  But then I can't smoke a cigar and drink a beer while it's in the oven.  No, I need to monitor the grill OUTSIDE and stand by it and ignore everything and everyone that's going on inside the house.  If anyone wants to come outside and visit me, they're more than welcome.

Get it together, TTB, c'mon.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1