Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

• 3 weeks later...

I cut a tomato for the first time in my life yesterday. I'm 38. 

I have long been very lazy and unwilling to do most cooking. Most of the food here is processed meaning I just heat and eat. 

I got a tomato the other day and didn't know what the **** to do with it until I realized today I could slice them into slices. I made a chicken sandwich and I liked it. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

I cut a tomato for the first time in my life yesterday. I'm 38. 

I have long been very lazy and unwilling to do most cooking. Most of the food here is processed meaning I just heat and eat. 

I got a tomato the other day and didn't know what the **** to do with it until I realized today I could slice them into slices. I made a chicken sandwich and I liked it. 

Looking forward to hearing about your next culinary adventures! 

Another story for you all, just finished working downstairs peeling a pear. I very rarely peel potatoes, carrots, etc. Most of the vegetables I prepare are flash frozen and prebagged in the freezer, like broccoli, mixed vegetables, et al. So I almost never peel or core anything.

So I take this peeler (you mean I have to have a special cooking apparatus just to do this?) and start peeling away. Now, the skin doesn't come off that effectively, so I have to start using the peeler as a knife to start chopping the pear skin off. At the end of the day it looks like some hatchet job. Isn't there a way to just glide the peeler over the fruit in one try?

Anyway it looks like someone just hacked it with a knife. These are basic prep skills for kitchen chefs, but of course I don't work in a kitchen so I've never felt the need to learn how to do any of this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Another story for you all, just finished working downstairs peeling a pear. I very rarely peel potatoes, carrots, etc. Most of the vegetables I prepare are flash frozen and prebagged in the freezer, like broccoli, mixed vegetables, et al. So I almost never peel or core anything.

So I take this peeler (you mean I have to have a special cooking apparatus just to do this?) and start peeling away. Now, the skin doesn't come off that effectively, so I have to start using the peeler as a knife to start chopping the pear skin off. At the end of the day it looks like some hatchet job. Isn't there a way to just glide the peeler over the fruit in one try?

Anyway it looks like someone just hacked it with a knife. These are basic prep skills for kitchen chefs, but of course I don't work in a kitchen so I've never felt the need to learn how to do any of this.

OK, for some reason I feel the need to reach out & help. 

It's not easy cooking for one, it's taken me a few years to get used to it.  Rachel Ray can teach you about cutting an onion (I don't do the whole thing at once, because I don't know if I'll want sliced or diced for the next meal...and unless I'm making spaghetti sauce, I don't need much of one for one serving, hence keeping it so you can do what you want later. ) 

If you notice, I very rarely do anything fancy.  It's what I can do easily with some flavor, and being in the biz I can get just a little of this or that & not have to stop at the grocery store on the way home.  Some staples are Old Bay, seasoned salt, a jar of garlic, and a pepper grinder.  And if you like spicy, pick one and a sauce. (Basics.) 

• Thumb up 2

Any realistic way to cut a rib bone with kitchen knives? 

They always have great sales on rib roasts around big holidays. In the past I have bought some to turn into steaks. A whole bone width steak is a little bigger than I want particularly from the center of the roast. It’s pretty massive.

So in the past I debone it then cut but is it possible to cut the bone cleanly and safely with a knife?  I think they probably use an electric band saw looking thing at most grocery store butcher departments.

24 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Any realistic way to cut a rib bone with kitchen knives? 

They always have great sales on rib roasts around big holidays. In the past I have bought some to turn into steaks. A whole bone width steak is a little bigger than I want particularly from the center of the roast. It’s pretty massive.

So in the past I debone it then cut but is it possible to cut the bone cleanly and safely with a knife?  I think they probably use an electric band saw looking thing at most grocery store butcher departments.

If you do this regularly, I would invest in a cutting glove.  

My restaurant doesn't have one.  I don't cut anything except bar fruit, which I've been cutting for 40 years.  I don't go any further, because they know me and my safety. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

If you do this regularly, I would invest in a cutting glove.  

My restaurant doesn't have one.  I don't cut anything except bar fruit, which I've been cutting for 40 years.  I don't go any further, because they know me and my safety. 

I don’t do it often and beef rib bones would probably damage any decent knife. I was just curious if anyone has done it. 

On 3/31/2023 at 11:07 AM, ixcuincle said:

Don't expect anything more as I mostly eat soups and takeout 

I've busted your balls about being too lazy to cook before, but honestly that's great to hear that you're taking some steps to prepare fresh food yourself. Keep it up!

You will without a doubt notice a difference in the way you feel even if you never make anything fancy. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

@ixcuincle

I'm gonna piggyback on @dfitzo53...there are tons of things you can do that aren't fancy at all, they just haven't gone through a bunch of other peoples' hands.  For instance, I don't cut an entire onion unless I'm going to use the whole thing in a stew or spag sauce, chili, etc.   I cut it as I need it (sliced or diced) and it keeps very well in a Rubbermaid thingy.  Same goes for green/red peppers. 

Do you have some cookware?  Skillet, a couple of sauce pans, baking sheet, and a lot of wooden spoons/spatulas are essential.  (I'm old and have tons of stuff so I don't have to wash everything every time I use it, I can let the dishwasher get totally full before I run it.)  And you don't have to spend alot to get a good set of knives, just make sure to keep them sharp...a dull knife will cut you faster than a sharp one.  Toaster oven can do more than you think.  I got a new Foreman grill (they're copper now!) at the start of the pandemic and it's still kicking ass and getting a workout. 

And there are ways to take short-cuts, I can be the Queen of them if I want something good without a bunch of work.  

I apologize if I'm sounding intrusive, but I love cooking and can help with getting you started. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I swore by this when I was young. 

image.jpeg.e79c1ed64a1836d4d51f6702a5e05f7b.jpeg

I still make “Bird on a Biscuit” which is like 5 ingredients, 3 of which come in a can and the other 2 are a bag of frozen peas and some cream cheese. It’s good, relatively healthy and super easy. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1