Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread


steve09ru

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, bcl05 said:

69672593201__5681CE84-EBFE-40A5-90B0-038EF2277998.fullsizerender.thumb.jpeg.6f75bd6eda964f41826a1c47ec44c4e0.jpeg

 

Jamaican jerk spiced ribs.  So delicious.  

 

I follow the below recipe exactly.  Most recipes I tweak and make my own, but this is just perfect.  Maybe my favorite meal period.

 

https://pitbarrelcooker.com/blogs/food/jamaican-jerk-spareribs

 

 

 

Those look amazing!   

If you don't want to mess around with making your own jerk seasoning/rub, try Walkersood jerk seasoning.   

We "discovered" it in Jamaica and you can find it at most grocery stores, and Walmart.  It's the real-deal and insanely good.  It tastes just like the jerk that we've eaten on the island.  We prefer the hot and spicy version.  It's good on chicken too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The seasoning paste in the recipe I posted takes maybe a minute to come together.  It's basically a single bunch of cilantro, a bundle of scallions, a few cloves of garlic, and the peppers, along with dry spices, brown sugar, soy sauce, rum, and oil.  I always have all those ingredients on hand (I usually substitute habaneros for the scotch bonnets, or if I have heat-phobic guests, will use jalapenos/serranos).  My vitamix turns it all into a smooth paste in a few seconds.  Fantastic on everything I've ever tried it on.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

One (1) assload of mirepoix, and 6 lbs of short ribs prepped. 

57BCBEE8-F908-484B-AEA4-790C3CFF1678.jpeg

41864165-5D90-4378-B081-5C3BF97088DC.jpeg

 

I got some short ribs the other day.  I haven't prepared them yet.  After braising, I'm planning to put them on a bed of polenta.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, China said:

 

I got some short ribs the other day.  I haven't prepared them yet.  After braising, I'm planning to put them on a bed of polenta.


Ive done this before using polenta, it’s money. 
 

Today im doing Thomas Keller potato puree. 

What are you braising them in?

  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

1st brisket on my cheap Kamado grill.

 

Nice looking brisket. Have you had any issues with the fan or other electric components on your Akorn? I've had mine (base model) for about 10 years. It's a great kamado-style grill for 1/4 the cost of a ceramic one. I knew they had the fan model out and was curious about it's performance. It's almost time for me to get a new one...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Nice looking brisket. Have you had any issues with the fan or other electric components on your Akorn? I've had mine (base model) for about 10 years. It's a great kamado-style grill for 1/4 the cost of a ceramic one. I knew they had the fan model out and was curious about it's performance. It's almost time for me to get a new one...

Thanks and I haven't had it that long.

I have had the same issue, twice.   It's the temp dropping too much after ~ 10 hours.  Yesterday, it held 240, (with a little variation as more charcoal lit),  from 5:30 am until ~ 4:00 and the temp dropped to around 199 and wouldn't recover.   I didn't want to dick around with it, so I finished the brisket in the oven.  The brisket got up to 190 in the cooker, so it didn't take long, but it was annoying.

I chalk it up to lack of experience with the Kamado & lump charcoal combo.  I rarely use lump in any of the Weber's, except for high-temp searing type of cooks.   It's quality lump, (B&B), but it's a bag that I've had for almost 2 years in the shed, and maybe it's shot from the humidity.  According to the directions, I'm supposed to stack the larger pieces towards the bottom, (in a pyramid), and smaller pieces on top.   

 

I lit it, according to the directions and Youtube videos.    I stuck in a fire starter, let it get pretty well lit for 5 minutes, or so, then closed the lid, set the temp on the fan and adjusted the top damper according to the directions.     It came up to temp in about 20 minutes, or so, and held it very well, until it didn't😅

 

There was plenty of charcoal leftover.   I'll take a look at at the leftover charcoal later.   Maybe the pyramid collapsed after a while and some of the better lit charcoal fell away and burned up, without igniting some of the other pieces.   Maybe some ash got in the fan vent?  I'll figure it out.

I may be sacrilege in some circles, but I've never been a big fan of lump, especially in my smoker.   Briquettes are easier for me to control.      We'll see.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks and I haven't had it that long.

I have had the same issue, twice.   It's the temp dropping too much after ~ 10 hours.  Yesterday, it held 240, (with a little variation as more charcoal lit),  from 5:30 am until ~ 4:00 and the temp dropped to around 199 and wouldn't recover.   I didn't want to dick around with it, so I finished the brisket in the oven.  The brisket got up to 190 in the cooker, so it didn't take long, but it was annoying.

I chalk it up to lack of experience with the Kamado & lump charcoal combo.  I rarely use lump in any of the Weber's, except for high-temp searing type of cooks.   It's quality lump, (B&B), but it's a bag that I've had for almost 2 years in the shed, and maybe it's shot from the humidity.  According to the directions, I'm supposed to stack the larger pieces towards the bottom, (in a pyramid), and smaller pieces on top.   

 

I lit it, according to the directions and Youtube videos.    I stuck in a fire starter, let it get pretty well lit for 5 minutes, or so, then closed the lid, set the temp on the fan and adjusted the top damper according to the directions.     It came up to temp in about 20 minutes, or so, and held it very well, until it didn't😅

 

There was plenty of charcoal leftover.   I'll take a look at at the leftover charcoal later.   Maybe the pyramid collapsed after a while and some of the better lit charcoal fell away and burned up, without igniting some of the other pieces.   Maybe some ash got in the fan vent?  I'll figure it out.

I may be sacrilege in some circles, but I've never been a big fan of lump, especially in my smoker.   Briquettes are easier for me to control.      We'll see.

 

 

I don't think I've ever had the temp drop after that amount of time burning. I've had it go out at the start because I did a ****ty job of setting up the starter cube. Of course I've had it spike up because of a steady wind blowing directly into the lower vent. I'm going to guess it was your charcoal. 

There's nothing I do special when lighting it: clear a hole in the middle, drop in the starter, light it, make sure there's at least some pieces 2-3" above the starter & close it. I use lump but will occasionally through in a couple of Thaan charcoal bricks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I don't think I've ever had the temp drop after that amount of time burning. I've had it go out at the start because I did a ****ty job of setting up the starter cube. Of course I've had it spike up because of a steady wind blowing directly into the lower vent. I'm going to guess it was your charcoal. 

There's nothing I do special when lighting it: clear a hole in the middle, drop in the starter, light it, make sure there's at least some pieces 2-3" above the starter & close it. I use lump but will occasionally through in a couple of Thaan charcoal bricks. 

Thanks!

I'm thinking the same   There's always spikes, but that was precipitous drop.   I'll use up the lump in one of the kettles and get a new bag later.

 

Thanks, again!

  • Thumb up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Skinsfan1311, I got a new dual probe thermapro and I'm using the second probe to monitor the smoke box today.  It's showing the built in thermometer in my Masterbuilt electric to be about 25 degrees higher than it actually is according to the probe.  I'm not surprised that it's inaccurate but that's a lot, makes me nervous setting it at 250 with a brisket.  What's your take on using a probe to monitor the smoke box temp?

 

Always appreciate your advice.

Edited by The 12th Commandment
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...