Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

1 hour ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Beef ribs are big in West Texas.  My favorite bbq joint, in El Paso, State Line specializes in them and they are wonderful.  They have the perfect sauce too and flawless sides.  Ever in EP, check it.  Sadly, the beef ribs at the stores here are trimmed so effectively that there is hardly any meat left.  Usually use short ribs when I smoke em at home.

I'll only be in Texas against my will, so I'll take your word for it.  :ols:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'll only be in Texas against my will, so I'll take your word for it.  :ols:

I live 40 miles into NM so it's easy to do a quick bbq raid.  And half the restaurant is in NM, hence the name of the joint. 

Far West Texas has a very different feel from the rest of the state except maybe Austin.  It's Hispanic and fairly liberal.

Found some used Rachael Ray and Giada cookbooks over the weekend so I started cooking more. Usually don't cook, but with these new recipes I can eat non-processed food, and lose weight.

I've lost 4 pounds over the last few days eating Rachael Ray recipes.

PXL_20230530_212759431.jpg

PXL_20230530_225322955.jpg

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Has anybody used these? Typically, I put veggies in a tinfoil pan (folded up aluminum foil) w/ oil & spices & smoke them while cooking whatever else I'm grilling. I also have some disposable pans with holes. I do grill veggies on the grates (asparagus, zucchini, etc.) but this thing looks like it will really improve grilling all veggies. Hmmm...if it really works & is nonstick it would take grilling/smoking fish to a new level...

image.png.1132c5322b121f482fb48f5d35216e66.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Has anybody used these? Typically, I put veggies in a tinfoil pan (folded up aluminum foil) w/ oil & spices & smoke them while cooking whatever else I'm grilling. I also have some disposable pans with holes. I do grill veggies on the grates (asparagus, zucchini, etc.) but this thing looks like it will really improve grilling all veggies. Hmmm...if it really works & is nonstick it would take grilling/smoking fish to a new level...

Looks like a PITA to clean. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

At the start of the pandemic, I realized I was gonna need a new Foreman.  They're copper infused now & mine cost $15.  (I'm cooking for one.)

Literally ran into Walmart, found what I wanted, ran out.  It's fantastic for veggies, particularly asparagus, just gotta keep an eye on 'em because it heats to 500. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Have one and works as advertised.  Mines not a bag however, just a mat.  Same material tho.  I've only ever used it for smoking fish, never on a hot fire.

9 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Soak in hot soapy water and use a brush.  Not an issue.

Leaves a cool pattern on what it is you're smoking too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same.

2 hours ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Have one and works as advertised.  Mines not a bag however, just a mat.  Same material tho.  I've only ever used it for smoking fish, never on a hot fire.

Soak in hot soapy water and use a brush.  Not an issue.

Leaves a cool pattern on what it is you're smoking too!

Thanks. Will the mat you have survive over a hot fire? 

I have the same cleanup issues when I use the small cooling racks on the grill. Soak them for a bit & toss them in the dishwasher. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same.

Thanks. Will the mat you have survive over a hot fire? 

I have the same cleanup issues when I use the small cooling racks on the grill. Soak them for a bit & toss them in the dishwasher. 

Like I said, I've never used it that way so I can't tell you.  If it's not too pricey and it says it will then nothing much lost by trying it.  

I originally bought it with my cold smoke box thinking I was going to do some cold smoked cheddar.  Haven't got around to trying that yet.  It works perfectly for fish, because you can take the whole thing out of the smoker and work on carefully removing the fish where it sticks on a kitchen counter.  And it sticks much less that the steel grates on my smoker.

• Thumb up 1

First attempt at smoking a chuck roast today.  Going to go for 3 hours at 225-250, then drop it in a pan with a sliced sweet onion, 5 smashed garlic cloves, half stick of butter, seasonings some Greek peppers and juice for a quasi smoked Mississippi pot roast for sandwiches this evening.

IMG_3465.jpeg

IMG_3467.jpeg

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 7

I'm making some pinto beans that I soaked in water overnight, added half a sweet onion diced, cut up braised potatoes and pork roast from earlier in the week, and added some shredded carrots and a bit more water. It's in the oven, covered, at 200°F for a few hours. I prepped the pork with a dry rub of garlic and onion powder, chili powder, some dry herbs. So there's plenty of seasoning in with the beans. 

I'm thinking about adding some minced ginger in there but haven't decided yet.

Edited to add:  I added 2 teaspoons of minced ginger and 1 tablespoon of molasses for a touch of sweetness. 

I'm going to give some to my daughter and will freeze some too. It tastes pretty good so I'm happy with it. Pics later. It's back in the oven.

Pic below.

IMG_20230604_152106642.jpg

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 5

Chuck roast didn’t pull yesterday very well.  Ended up chopping it up and turned out okay.  I read a lot of similar stories online about smoking Chuck roast.  Some say pull earlier, some say go as high as 215.

Tonight I did a spring/summer lemon pepper chicken fried rice with veggies on the Blackstone.

IMG_3482.jpeg

IMG_3483.jpeg

IMG_3484.jpeg

IMG_3485.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I still have a long way to go but a lot of bookstores lately have carried cheap on sale cookbooks which I continue to hoard. And unlike Jay Gatsby, these books have been read, they are not only for display!

PXL_20230613_110703344.jpg

See you have a lot of Italian.  Lidia and Giada, both good.  But this is my go to Italian cookbook.  Probably the most used cookbook I have.  Awesome how they go over options etc.  Cook's illustrated and now Milk Street are the ****.

IMG_20230613_101708353.jpg

Edited by The 12th Commandment
  • Like 1

I can't buy anymore cookbooks except the one on my list Chef Jet Tika 101 Asian Dishes You Need to Try Before You Die. It's comes in a ring binding edition so it lays flat. That's the only I'll allow myself. I have both Master Chef books by Julia Child and a bunch others. I got rid of my vegetarian cookbooks that I had when my daughter was vegetarian (bacon did her in!). I have my mom's recipe box too.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 10:16 AM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

First attempt at smoking a chuck roast today.  Going to go for 3 hours at 225-250, then drop it in a pan with a sliced sweet onion, 5 smashed garlic cloves, half stick of butter, seasonings some Greek peppers and juice for a quasi smoked Mississippi pot roast for sandwiches this evening.

IMG_3465.jpeg

IMG_3467.jpeg

I love Mississippi Pot Roast! Did you use ranch  and au jus seasoning?  Did you have to add any liquid, or was their enough in the roast, after you smoked it?   The idea of using a similar recipe on the smoker never occurred to me.  It looks fantastic!

Made some ribs for my wife’s birthday party. About 4 racks. I was in a rush and didn’t have time so I bought them pre-rubbed from Costco. I stuck them in the SousVide for 24 hours and when people showed up to the party I threw them on the Kamado for about 7 minutes per side. 

These were absolutely the best ribs I have ever had and the easiest I have ever made. Everyone at the party was raving about them. I was honest about what I did, but a couple of people told me they were perfect. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Like 4

How do we feel about mesquite wood chips?  What meats do you use them with?

I usually do a combination of hickory and apple or cherry for chicken, but I did mesquite with some rubbed boneless thighs last weekend over charcoal on the Weber.  It was... good... different.  But I'm thinking mesquite might be better with beef or pork.

What say you grill masters?

• Thumb up 1